Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

I removed everything from the engine bay for what I hope to be the last time (for a while). I've started working on the HVAC weld panel and then the drain at the bottom. These are traced out on a simple leftover piece of 16ga steel I bought a couple years ago. It does work well enough though.

Name:  weld panels.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  92.6 KB
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member

I finished up the welding, filler, and painting on the bay. I still have a couple small spots of pitting in the filler, but for now I'm going to leave it be and get the motor back in the car to start the reassembly. I'm still considering a 2018 Coyote crate engine next Winter, so I may shave the whole bay at that point. For now, I'm just going to work on assembly for a start up in a couple months and show the crap out of it all year while beating it relentlessly in autocross.

Name:  0109181833_HDR.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  210.7 KB

After that was done, I put the new Exedy clutch kit on the 5.0L. I bought the kit about a year ago and finally have it all together behind the bellhousing and ready to toss back in the car.

Name:  0111182025_HDR.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  318.0 KB

Now that the engine is put back in the car I can start final assembly. I have new brake parts on the way for the Master Cylinder, brake lines for the rear discs, and adaptors for the front. I am close to having everything for the brakes here to complete the system.

Here is the wire harness work I'm doing to tuck the harness and then covering in DEI wire loom.

Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 01-15-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    Join The Conversation

Great update. You'll have that running in no time.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

It's been a whirlwind trying to get this car together and the last two weeks have gone by fast. First, here's the video for the engine bay shaving.

Since I shot that section, I put in a new Exedy clutch kit with the engine, and then got the engine back in the car. I then put the front suspension on the car with the new 5-lug spindles, brakes, etc. I haven't done the M/C swap to the 94/95 Cobra booster yet, but that will probably be in the next week. The boxes with all those came over the weekend.

Name:  0115181257_HDR.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  252.9 KB

I was contacted by Evapo-Rust about using some of their solution with parts on the build. I did a video about doing the spindles (a set of 94/95 and a second set of 96-04 spindles) previously, and then I did another one on the brake rotors. I painted the center hub area of the rotors with etch primer and then a simple black. Here's the rotors:

With the front suspension all done, next it was getting back to the front fenders. I still didn't like how they fit to the metal cowl area and then against the door line. I ended up putting two screws from the inside of the cowl to pull the fenders in place, then split the upper surface away from the vertical surface. I can now independently move each and get them placed as needed to fit the door line. I need to buy some "Kitty Hair" from Evercoat to fix the door gaps and gap to the windshield trim. The trim has a 2 millimeter gap (up/down direction), and the door is set to 3/8" (10mm). I can use the Kitty Hair to build up the surfaces and then sand it to the gap level i want.

Name:  0121181814_HDR.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  231.5 KB

Name:  0121181817_HDR.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  146.2 KB

Name:  0121181836_HDR.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  174.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Now, with the body headed in the right direction, I just had to stand back and admire what the car is finally turning into after 21-months of work so far. I put up new new DEI banner (next to the older one), so I have my 12' ladder out. I climbed to the top to snap this picture. I must have stood there a couple more minutes just staring. It's really starting to come together.

Name:  0123181959_HDR.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  333.2 KB
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Since I took the overhead picture, work hasn't stopped. It's actually picked up a bit. I next went on to measure for wheels. I hadn't done it before, but found a recent magazine that had an article on what to do. Here's me dangling a string and using a tape measure to figure it out.

Name:  0124181808a_HDR.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  207.3 KB

Name:  0124181832.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  98.2 KB

With these measurements down on paper, I started a thread in the wheels forum about what new wheels I needed. Did I want staggered fitment, or square? I want to run a 315 tire at all corners. Thankfully smarter people than me chimed in and convinced me to go with a square set-up and change fitment with spacers (if needed). Sadly, the Eibach springs I am running this year to get the car togethre aren't going to like the amount of new grip on the front tires. They'll get me by for 2018, but will need to be upgraded over next Winter. I also was recommended to change to SN95 lower control arms on the front, and I need to get that done too as well as a new SN95 sway bar to match. Little things, but it will take a little more time and money to make it right.

Here is the video for the front suspension work. I bought the MM front spring install tool, and it worked fantastically. Well worth the price.

Next I started back on the wiring for the engine harness and reall the front half of the car. I decided to put the Ford ECM under the passenger seat since it won't go under the dash. I made a simple bracket that the ECM will attach to, then that bracket will sit on top of the carpet and be sandwiched between the seat mounts and carpet. It's low enough that the seat won't touch it, it shouldn't overheat where it is, and I am not worried about it being kicked or stepped on.

Name:  ecm relo.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  90.7 KB

Once that was done, I went back to wiring on the engine. I started by getting all the branches organized. Design Engineering sent me some of their split loom to try out on the harness, and I've used three different sizes to cover it all. I just finished up the main engine harness back into the firewall junction on the passenger side last night. I still need to extend the MAF harness and the O2 sensors main connector. Then on to the driver side which has all the front lights. I did also put the braking system back together with the new 94/95 cobra master cylinder and MM conversion lines, then the PS system and Alternator.

Name:  cobra mc.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  163.4 KB

Name:  pass wiring.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  128.5 KB
    Join The Conversation

Well done!

Thats a good place to mount it, like what Ford did with the 1983 to 1984 EECIII equiped 150 hp California CFi in Cougar XR7's and Thunderbirds. They mounted both the PCM and the brown ingtion box under the seat from what I've read.

FEP Senior Member

I've been doing a lot of wiring as you can imagine. The ECM going under the seat makes the harness circuits / wires need to be 20+ inches longer depending on each wire. I'm going wire by wire and making each the correct length, but the engine bay is at least done concerning the ECM. I still need to finish the headlight harness.

Name:  ecm extend.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  111.6 KB

Name:  engine bay 1.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  117.6 KB

I had a couple people ask about taking the connectors apart and how I know which wires I'm taking out / don't need. I made this video to explain each.

Here's the video on cutting up the front fenders to make them fit. I have some Evercoat Kitty Hair coming this week, and then I'll get them repaired and set the fit to the front bumper and door gaps.

Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 02-12-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

For the ECM bracket, of course I made a video on how I did it.

With that done, it was just a matter of time to extend each wire to make it the right length to reach the ECM location under the passenger seat. I worked every night a little bit on it wire by wire until it was done.

Name:  final ECM.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  169.2 KB

I have also worked on the engine bay to add the extras not there yet. Clutch cable, throttle cable, and the cooling. I bought a radiator hold down from LMR and just need to make some adjustments on the core support to make it work with the Be Cool radiator that I have. It's a little thicker than the OEM radiator, so the hold down doesn't fit great yet. I will remedy that.

Name:  radiator hold.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  169.9 KB

Next will be on to the fiberglass work on the fenders. I have the Kitty Hair in the garage and just wanted to get the wiring finished up before I jumped to another section of the car. I'll probably work on the suspension this coming weekend. My new wheels should be here at the end of the week, and I can fit them on and make the package work.
    Last edited by Basin Motorsports; 02-26-2018 at 12:20 PM.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

Here is the video on finishing the ECM wiring. I will wait to fire the car up before I do a little more work on it around the ECM to clean up that bundle.

Once I was done with that I changed out the front suspension (again) for a set of 99-04 lower control arms and new tie-rods (inner and outer). That pushes the wheels out a little more. I then tried out the new wheels just to see how they will fit. I went with a set of Rovos Pretoria in 18"x10.5".

Name:  rovos fit.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  149.2 KB

It was cold a snowy this week, so I am now working on the front fenders. I bought some Evercoat Kitty Hair to fill in some holes and then extend the fender edges out to close the gap to the door (and build the surface up to flush). I did the first coat, then some sanding. I grabbed a really old electric sander i had in my tool drawer and it lasted about 20 miutes. I had glued the pad on years ago, and it finally died again. I ordered a new one, and put on a second coat of Kitty Hair last night.

Name:  round 2 kitty hair.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  130.6 KB
    Join The Conversation

Looks good. I don't envy you on those fenders as I hate to work with fiberglass.

Seems like those fibers get everywhere (no matter how well you cover up) and itch for days.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Looks good. I don't envy you on those fenders as I hate to work with fiberglass.

Seems like those fibers get everywhere (no matter how well you cover up) and itch for days.....
    I have to agree!

Long sleeve shirt and long pants are a must. Pat on some baby powder on any exposed skin and from the elbows down before starting. Helps to fill your pores so the fiberglass fibers can't get a ahold. If you sweat a bunch or wash, then reapply baby powder as you continue to work.

When done, the hard part is to take as cold a shower as you can stand to start out with. The cold water keeps your pores from opening up like they do with a warm or hot shower. Allow the water to flow over all skin areas exposed to the fiberglass. Once you have flushed all the exposed skin you can resume a regular warm/hot shower to finish cleaning up.

If you do all that your itching issues will be reduced significantly! Fiberglass bothers some more than others. Had a guy that used to work for us that either didn't have any nerve endings in his skin or was just totally immune to fiberglass. I watched him literally roll around in the crap and it never bothered him in the least.

OH! Car is looking good! I don't envy you on working the fenders and quarters! I know exactly what you are going thru! I still need to work on mine, but that car is 1100 miles away right now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Saturday I released out the video for the front suspension changes adding the 99-04 LCA and putting everything back on. I also officially debuted the Rovos wheels (of course you guys on here saw them ahead of time). I'm still trying to get one wheel and cap replaced from Rovos or American Muscle that are not what I ordered. I should get that squared away this week, and then look to buy the 315 tires soon and set the car on the ground.

Beyond that, I spent the last week working on the passenger fender with molding and shaping the Kitty Hair. I finished it up Saturday, and honestly not being trained in any sort of bodywork, I am pretty happy with the results. The flush (in/out) is even and I set the gap to 6mm (1/4") to match the rear of the door fit to the quarter panel. I have a little more to finish up with a top layer of filler (since the Kitty Hair is a base filler), then some reinforcing layer on the backside. I will need to do the same process to the front of the fender to the bumper.

Name:  final fender.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  77.2 KB