Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I decided to switch up my release schedule based on Instagram. I had a couple people ask about the process to remove the quarter window trim and resealing the windows. I finished up that video and released it this morning.

I tossed on the OEM replacement hood I pcked up a while ago. It definitely needs some help to fit side to side and vertically, but nothing that can't be overcome. For once the fit to the fenders is pretty good. I still need to get the bumper fit better, and plan to do that today.

Name:  hood fit.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  92.7 KB

I spent hours fitting panels again today. Fenders to bumper, hood to fenders, hood to bumper, etc. One thing fit, another didn't. The bumper came off probably 3 or 4 times. In the end, I just have a little more sanding to do by hand tomorrow for the fender to bumper fit and I'll be done. FINALLY. The hood needs finishing work, and the bumper needs fixed still. But... I can drive it in this condition all year if I want to. The hood fits pretty darn good considering how many different cars donated parts to this build.

Name:  0414181728_HDR.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  291.9 KB

I seriously need to get the wiring done now.

This has been my big accomplishment for this week. My Maier Racing 3" widebody kit is on and finished. I stopped keeping accurate time to get it to this point, but I'd say 80+ hours of labor for the whole kit. I'm happy with how it fits, and I can confidently move to the next piece of the puzzle which is the wiring. I'm sure once I hear it make some noise, I won't stop until it's ready to go!

Attachment 120323

Attachment 120322

Have you thought about bonding and blending in the rear quarters? With all the work you did to get the front looking good, the rears with the visible fasteners look out of place now.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Have you thought about bonding and blending in the rear quarters? With all the work you did to get the front looking good, the rears with the visible fasteners look out of place now.
    Yes, I've thought about it. The original plan was to graft a 2000 Cobra-R lower bumper on with the same fasteners to tie the style in. I haven't gotten that far yet. I am going to fix the worse bumper (the black one), so that if I don't want to move to the Cobra-R piece with the white bumper I can sell off both. They are in good shape and intact. Then I'll probably bond them on and fill the holes for a smooth look. I'm still pondering the long-term finish for the car.

This week was the release of the end of the video. The 3" widebody kit is done (for now).

I needed to get everything cleaned off, so I rolled the WideFox out of the garage for a real car wash with actual car wash soap. First wash ever.

Name:  suds.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  we have the meats.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  146.3 KB

Looks killer.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

One of the worst things I see all the time on show and magazine cars are ill-fit panels. I think making parts fit has started to become a lost art. When I started mixing parts from different cars, it was apparent to me that my new to me hood wasn't going to fit well enough. Here's how I made it fit.

For this week's release, it's a "where are they now?" edition. Here's an update on where the car is headed in the next few weeks as I get it wrapped up.

Your project is coming along nicely. Watched the last 2 videos, good stuff....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The wrap I have planned for later this year won't stick to the fiberglass and filler very well. It needs a painted surface to bond to. I bought a few cans of simple paint to cover the widebody pieces and turn the front half of the car black to match. I think it came out pretty well, but I won't know until I get it all put back together and stand back and look at it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345