Close

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    FEP Senior Member

I decided to switch up my release schedule based on Instagram. I had a couple people ask about the process to remove the quarter window trim and resealing the windows. I finished up that video and released it this morning.

I tossed on the OEM replacement hood I pcked up a while ago. It definitely needs some help to fit side to side and vertically, but nothing that can't be overcome. For once the fit to the fenders is pretty good. I still need to get the bumper fit better, and plan to do that today.

Name:  hood fit.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  92.7 KB
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

FEP Senior Member

I spent hours fitting panels again today. Fenders to bumper, hood to fenders, hood to bumper, etc. One thing fit, another didn't. The bumper came off probably 3 or 4 times. In the end, I just have a little more sanding to do by hand tomorrow for the fender to bumper fit and I'll be done. FINALLY. The hood needs finishing work, and the bumper needs fixed still. But... I can drive it in this condition all year if I want to. The hood fits pretty darn good considering how many different cars donated parts to this build.

Name:  0414181728_HDR.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  291.9 KB

I seriously need to get the wiring done now.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

This has been my big accomplishment for this week. My Maier Racing 3" widebody kit is on and finished. I stopped keeping accurate time to get it to this point, but I'd say 80+ hours of labor for the whole kit. I'm happy with how it fits, and I can confidently move to the next piece of the puzzle which is the wiring. I'm sure once I hear it make some noise, I won't stop until it's ready to go!

Attachment 120323

Attachment 120322
    Join The Conversation

Have you thought about bonding and blending in the rear quarters? With all the work you did to get the front looking good, the rears with the visible fasteners look out of place now.

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Have you thought about bonding and blending in the rear quarters? With all the work you did to get the front looking good, the rears with the visible fasteners look out of place now.
    Yes, I've thought about it. The original plan was to graft a 2000 Cobra-R lower bumper on with the same fasteners to tie the style in. I haven't gotten that far yet. I am going to fix the worse bumper (the black one), so that if I don't want to move to the Cobra-R piece with the white bumper I can sell off both. They are in good shape and intact. Then I'll probably bond them on and fill the holes for a smooth look. I'm still pondering the long-term finish for the car.
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

This week was the release of the end of the video. The 3" widebody kit is done (for now).

I needed to get everything cleaned off, so I rolled the WideFox out of the garage for a real car wash with actual car wash soap. First wash ever.

Name:  suds.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  150.0 KB

Name:  we have the meats.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  146.3 KB
    Join The Conversation

Looks killer.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

One of the worst things I see all the time on show and magazine cars are ill-fit panels. I think making parts fit has started to become a lost art. When I started mixing parts from different cars, it was apparent to me that my new to me hood wasn't going to fit well enough. Here's how I made it fit.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

For this week's release, it's a "where are they now?" edition. Here's an update on where the car is headed in the next few weeks as I get it wrapped up.

Join The Conversation

Your project is coming along nicely. Watched the last 2 videos, good stuff....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Senior Member

The wrap I have planned for later this year won't stick to the fiberglass and filler very well. It needs a painted surface to bond to. I bought a few cans of simple paint to cover the widebody pieces and turn the front half of the car black to match. I think it came out pretty well, but I won't know until I get it all put back together and stand back and look at it.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

With the car back together, the panels fit well. I don't really like the flat black paint though. Not to worry, it's only temporary.

Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

One thing I have been holding off on was putting gear oil in the rear axle. I had swapped to 5-lug axles a while ago, but never filled it with fluid. I wanted to check on a Pan Hard Bar and then possibly spacer to adjust the wheels to the edge of widebody fenders. I decided to just put on longer axle studs in case I needed them later on, or I'd have to take everything apart if that came about. Better safe then sorry.

With that done, I've put the car back on the ground with some new Gorilla open ended lug nuts.

Name:  roller flat.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  115.8 KB

This past weekend I went up to Portland and attended a two day seminar on vinyl wrapping. I learned all that I need to do for prep on this car, and it was great to learn how to do it in general. I have some material from the seminar to experiment with this week as practice. I ordered my real material and it should be headed my way shortly. I chose a slightly different color than planned, but it will really set this car a part (because the widebody didn't do it enough...)
    Join The Conversation

FEP Senior Member

I have previously mentioned that I want to eventually add a panhard bar to the rear of the coupe, and possibly adjust the wheels outboard to the edge of the fender with spacers. They should be roughly 3/8" based on some simple measurements, and that is right on the edge of needing longer wheel studs. Rather than having to do it later, I chose to remove the axles again before sealing up the differential and adding the oil.

With that done, I've just been working on the car for wiring and little things. One of the long-term ideas is to change the color of the car (and actually have it one color) by vinyl wrapping it. I'm not ready to paint it yet, and don't know if I'll ever get there. Vinyl can be changed pretty easy and will be durable enough for my use if applied properly. I looked into having someone do it, and it was about $2k or more and the closest shop was about 2 hours from me. That means I'd have to drop it off for a couple of days and the drive back to get it. The material is about $800 - $1,000 of the cost, which means the rest is labor. Rather than pay for labor, I decided to take an actual 2-day seminar on the subject and do it myself. Here's my review of the class.

After I got back from the class, I've been sanding the car down to get the best finish ready for the wrap. It needs to be 1500 grit level everywhere and I need some extra adhesion primer for the edges on the fiberglass. I ordered all the materials I need to do it when the vinyl gets in 2-4 weeks from now. Until then I'll just work on buttoning the car up. I'm getting pretty close on wiring enough to fire the car up. I'll still need to make the wiring prettier long-term before carpet goes in.

This is what I'm going to do with the hood. Most people love it. Only one person said to cover the car in diesel and burn it to the ground. That's a win in my book!

Name:  wrap front.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  110.5 KB
    Join The Conversation

I am not a wrap expert by any means, so I might be incorrect in this statement, but I will add it here just as an FYI. My understanding is that primer is not a good base for most wraps. The reason being that regular primer is porous and can still soak up moisture, glues, adhesive, etc. The issue with putting a wrap over the primer will be in removal at a later date. Most likely the wrap will stick just fine, but you may have issues getting it to release later because the porous nature of the primer will allow the adhesive to seep into the nooks and crannies of the 1500 grit sand scratches and make removal much more difficult. That is the information I was given and taught when I was considering wrapping my 82 GT rather than paint it. I ended up choosing to at least paint it with a single stage urethane black as a base to prevent that and may still wrap it until I ultimately decide what I like about my Lime Green accents etc.

Although I am sure you are trying to keep costs down, I would highly recommend considering at least a single stage urethane paint to protect yourself from issues down the road. In my experience the single stage paints from Eastwood and Summit Racing are reasonably priced and actually work fairly well for the $$. You can paint your entire car with a single gallon kit as long as you are doing all the jambs, edges, engine bay, etc. That will cost you @$100-$150 depending on color, etc.

As for the graphic wrap, it's not my cup of tea, but it will definitely get you noticed on top of the wide body. Best of Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member

Trey,

The flat black isn't primer. It's paint over a filler primer. The whole car is covered in paint right now. One thing that I need to do is sand the whole car down to 1,500 grit which I am going to do as time allows before I start wrapping. My material won't be here for a couple weeks and I'll sand it all in that time as well as get the car ready to start up (finishing the wiring).

Most of the car is paint over metal, so it only needs an edge seal tape on the back side, but the fiberglass needs a little specialized vinyl primer to adhere well. All is on order after this weekend.

As for the graphic, I know most will hate it or think "why in the world would that be on there?" The widebody isn't as noticeable unless you know what you're looking at, especially when it will all be a consistent color and finish. The graphic is going to stop people in their tracks and give them something to talk about. If I end up not liking it, I will remove it and replace it with another print (which I may do anyway) or just put it to the same vinyl as the rest of the car. I'm working on a side business, and this will be an attention getter in my local area (as well as the internet in general).

As I read in an article this morning... Sometimes to build a legend you have to break the rules.