Close

Default 89 2.3 over heating..

I could use some help..

I have a 89 2.3 auto coupe, I'm having overheating problems.. The fan seem to be not coming on when its supposed to.. I have changed fan controller, fan temp switch, and all the temp sensors in the motor.. I have tested fan it self and it works.. I have pulled fan controller off and traced wires to fan and added power and the fan comes on.. is there any other sensor that I'm missing that turns fan on.. It seems to only over heat when I let it idle for long periods of time.. I have also taken gauge cluster out and had it taken to a well known place to have the gauges check.. they said were in working order.. when driving around it seems to stay cool enough for the gauge to stay around 130.. I flushed out cooling system and have replaced thermostat with a 180.. also if I turn on A/C the fan will come on for while and shutoff.. I also have put new radiator inside. I'm stuck on this.. could it be the ecu is bad..

How is the connector to/at/between the fan motor? They used to burn up. If its good I'd have a shop monitor coolant temp to the pcm/computer, and verify it's getting correct inputs. Not very common for a pcm to fail.

Is the "fan controller" the integrated relay module on the RH strut tower?
    -Bill
    "Beater" ('82 Capri No Eng/NoTrans)
    Wife's Project Car ('83 Vert Stang GLX No Eng/NoTrans)
    "Cinco" ('88 Hatch Stang LX 5.0L/Manual)
    "Bertha" ('92 Hatch Stang LX 2.3L/Manual)
    '13 Ford Flex Platinum (Hers)
    Husband & father of 3 girls