Close

86caprirs

Default Dual exhaust on a 83 Capri

What do you guys do with the brake hose on the 7.5" axle so you can run dual exhaust? What modifications worked?

Grandmas minimum standard

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looks good and sounds good. I can't wait to get to the point of having a running car again!

I think I found a good way to get around the brake line issue. It was member ChristmasGT's idea that I saw first but it looks like it will work. I picked up a used 2.5" H-pipe and exhaust system to use once we are ready so I want to be sure there are no interference issues. It requires an '84 pickup flex line which is longer.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1755976

And a way to get yourself killed if it goes wrong. Sorry Fordhorsemen

Discussions:-

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-line-question
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ust-conversion
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ne-on-rear-end
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...sis-brake-hose

Other tailpipe systems

Quote Originally Posted by conmech View Post
    Mike and I discussed the exhaust for my turbo 4 (not sure of your set up but could apply). Designed as a better breathing set up, off the Magnaflow hi flow C.A.R.B. approved cat, the exhaust splits and runs out opposite sides of the fuel tank. LX tips, I believe, complete the look.

[QUOTE=xctasy;1711819]dual exhaust (non standard y piece to clear the rear brake line without touching it).

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Grandmas minimum standard
    Thanks for the marginal review xctasy.

While I know JACook has issues with this method due mainly to clearances to suspension components he had stated those clearances should be checked through the full travel of the suspension.

After I changed this hose to the longer I had changed out the rear springs and shocks. During that, the suspension was moved through it's entire travel up and down as an axle assembly plus up and down on each side individually when the springs went in. There were NO issues with clearances to the spring, RCA or frame. There is no stress on the hose in the least in any position either. I am to have this exhaust system installed in a couple of weeks but I do not anticipate any issues.

ChristmasGT was the first one I saw to use this method that I am aware of. I haven't seen him post in a while to see if he has had longer lasting success with his.

You could always do dumps Shane. My '82 currently has them and of course has no issue with the brake line. It's just a little more of a drone inside the cabin.

The bigger question is, will you repeat that exercise once the exhaust is installed, to make sure the hose
    never comes close to the tailpipe? And if so, isn't that a bunch more work than just extending the existing
    hard line over to where it needs to be to use the brake hose Ford designed for the purpose?
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

86caprirs

Hey Darran. I would do that with the dumps but I don't want the exhaust smell in the cab. I did that years ago with my 79 Capri with a 5.0L and I used to get exhaust in the car all the time.

Thanks for the info guys. This helps a lot
    Last edited by 86caprirs; 05-07-2016 at 08:28 PM.

82GTforME Live for eva my man. Not single anyone out, brakes are a non gloss over item, primary safety matter, and no personal injury aspects should ever apply.

Its so easy to screw up on some thing so simple.

ZephyrEFI and Dean_T pave the way to the factory way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    It's an '84 Mustang but the underside is close enough:

Before:

After:

Other photos from stuff you all have weighed in on:-

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ake-line-mount

Take all the advice, and do the right thing. Don't be afraid to check and check again.

86caprirs

Well I saw the part about the f-150 brake line. I was going through my box o stuff and found a braded flex line from my 1995 F-150 lift kit. Will this work for me also

Why not just convert to the factory setup on 86+ cars? It's been quite a long time but I'm pretty sure that's how I did it.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic G.T.350 View Post
    Why not just convert to the factory setup on 86+ cars? It's been quite a long time but I'm pretty sure that's how I did it.
    86 dual exhaust cars have an 8.8 axle which has a different set up for the rear flex hose. I tried to use 86 parts but couldn't make it work. I used 86 metal brake lines and the 83 rear flex hose for the smaller axle and then had to find fittings to mate the two together.
    Shawn

Currently in the stable:
    83 Capri RS Crimson Cat
    90 7 UP Mustang
    87 Mustang GT
    83 Porsche 928S
    69 Thunderbird Landau
    65 Cadillac Calais 4DR Hardtop
    02 Thunderbird

What about 85? They have duals from the mufflers back and a 7.5.
    1984.5 G.T.350 had since 16y/o
    95 Cobra, Crystal White

What about 85? They have duals from the mufflers back and a 7.5.
    That's how I did mine on my 83 Capri, used all the lines off an 85 GT diff & took the brake line & re-bent it to fit in the driveshaft tunnel & added
    a extension to the splitter. Worked perfect.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

86caprirs

Hard to find 85 GT cars around. So up here we have to improvise

Quote Originally Posted by 86caprirs View Post
    Hard to find 85 GT cars around. So up here we have to improvise
    I imagine so, I got lucky & found one at a local JY.
    Current rides:
    89 LX 5.0, 5 -spd..the Lemon
    86 RS Capri 5.0 Auto...
    86 LX Colorado SSP 5.0 5-spd (Sadly Sold)
    85.5 SVO, Finally Got Boost
    83 RS Capri 5.0, 5-spd (another sadly sold)

Exactly how I did mine. I replaced the broken 7.5 with an 8.8 axe and the brake lines worked fine then I added duals and used the factory brake hose/line setup. Been a real long time cant remember every part though...

Good info in this thread. I too am adding the dual exhaust to my 83 Capri.

A related question: How did you guys handle the passenger side rear tailpipe hanger? Spot weld it in there? Even a drill with a right-angle chuck isn't going to fit.

Thanks.

This is a postcard...I am away from the forum.

Posting elaborate stuff for something so simple isnt a good use of my time, but if it helps just someone here, I do have a motza of pictures from when I did my tow hitch design and trail fit on my 81.

iirc, Pre 1985, nothing on the short wheelbase Fox specialty coupes passenger side was turret puched for a passenger side hanger. So duplicating the driver side isn't possible without drilling or punching to fit the 86 hanger.

Easy way? You just grab some 3/8" rod all the exhaust guys use to make exhaust hangers, and pre curl it, and oxy acetaline or MIG weld it right to the chassis rail, (after having made the fuel tank safe from exploding). Then on the exhaust, same.

Then use a exhaust suspender donot/ grommet.

Sorry, I wont be re-rotating the photos, you have to recheck it in Photobucket because the accelerometer over rides the orintation unless you use edit, then back out, and recheck.....it takes ages, and aint got the time

Orange/red is passenger side.

IMG_6124_rotated

IMG_6127_rotated_driverside_exhaust hanger

IMG_6140_driverside_hanger

IMG_6141_passengerside_hanger

IMG_6164_driverside_exhaust_hanger

IMG_6165_passenger_side_exhaust_hanger

IMG_6241_rotated_passenger_side_hanger

Quote Originally Posted by pavil58fep View Post
    Good info in this thread. I too am adding the dual exhaust to my 83 Capri.

A related question: How did you guys handle the passenger side rear tailpipe hanger? Spot weld it in there? Even a drill with a right-angle chuck isn't going to fit.

Thanks.
    Self tapping screws on a right angle chuck can work. You can also use a stubby drill bit to get the hole started. Then use a step drill bit to enlarge the hole to the size needed.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I didn't have to drill or weld anything when putting Duels on Mine. On the last pic that Ectasy posted is a hole in the Frame rail to the Left of where his is Mounted. If I remember right, that's the Hole that I used a self Taping Bolt in. I did also however use https://lmr.com/item/PYP-HFM79/79-93...pe-Hanger-Pair.
    1981 Mustang Coupe: Rebuilt 91/306, Ported E7's, TF Spring kit, E-303 Cam, RPM Intake, Eddy 1406 Carb, FMS Dual Roller Timing set, March UD pulleys, Summit LT Headers, Summit 2-1/2" Chambered Mufflers w/ 2-1/2" FlowTech H-Pipe/ Flowtubes & 2-1/2" LMR SS Tailpipes. C4 trans with 8.8/ 2.73 Rear.

I used the LMR hangers as did 81coupe. I had to grind the tab to a narrower profile for both sides though. I also bent the tabs, after heating with a torch, by 90* to get them to fit the existing holes.

I also used the 90* chuck and hand drill to make a hole for the passenger side bracket. Tight squeeze but with ultra-short bits and starting small it will work.