Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some help with 1981 4.2L V8 Emissions

I recently bought a 1981 mustang, but came with no cats or mufflers. I was wondering if anyone has some images from the headers to the cats, back down to the exhaust. No shop here can find the Air Injection hose I need so I am trying to see what options I have.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Its pretty common to just use high temp hose from the smog pump to the cat when it gets all rotted out. That's what most guys use when swapping to duals.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Perfect, thanks!

They say not to bother modding a 4.2, but I think that one of those engines would have to respond nicely to a stock '86-'93 dual setup.

I've had two '87-'93 5.0s which had hose spliced in to connect the Downstream Air tube to the H-Pipes. In both cases, the hose was green. I laughed about it on the first car, thinking it was garden hose, but when it never developed a leak, I left it on there.

I bought some hose at an Autozone which the guy swore wouldn't work, but it's still on there, years and thousands of miles later.

You don't want to use hose for the entire run from the smog pump to the Downstream Air bung near where the catalytic converter would be. It's best utilized in short lengths, to connect sections of metal tubing.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I'd save the 255 crank if I ever built a 302. They are much lighter weight and swappable to a 302.
    1 1987 cougar

Man this engine is quite trouble. Not only do I have to figure out the air injection system, but the PCM is not communicating and attempting to find another is a nightmare in itself.

Or you could just move... Then you could yank that boat anchor for something decent.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I didn't think the 255 came with a computer? Weren't they carbed only?
    1 1987 cougar

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...er-looking-box

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    originally posted by xctasy

I remember when I had my 81 LTD ex cruiser it had a VV. My brother-in-law was running a carb shop at the time and I was his guinny pig. The setup manual was like a 1/2 inch thick.

Its the CA market D code 4.2's MCU, the pre EECIV system that controls ignition only, not Fuel Air. It basically, depending on carb, has idle tracking and start retard to the advance control on the Duraspark II ignition, although all Duraspark II's have the facility, the MCU controls it with a yellow strain Duraspark box with an Orange MCU junction. Thses systems are really easy, way easier than the CFI EECIII's used on some of the 1980 to 1982 5.0 CA cars, including some Foxes. The choke pulldown has to be right, and set with vaccum, then you just check for fault codes like any 1984 to 1995 EFI Ford.

You can pull the codes on it with a test light, EECIV style, the ground wire is seprate, but its the same deal.

Many other Foxes share the engine and control system, XR7's and Tbirds and Cougars and Capris and other Zephrys and Fairmonts with the 255 engine. Its basically an 1981 thing for CA, becasue they made many, many changes to the engine.

You may even have the Varaiable Venturi VV7200 carb uses the MCU to controll idle tracking. The 4.2 had five different engine ratings, two different carbs (VV and Motorcraft 2150) and two diferent intake manifolds, and were really great engines.

The press picked on Ford, no two ways about it. Which is why only 3% of every 1980-1981 Mustang was so equiped. A 2.3 or 3.3 engine is a slow dog, the 255 does a 18 second quarter mile, and has a smooth drive train, and doesn't drink the fuel like a 3.3 auto does. Its no 2.3 for pump gas, but its never deserved any of the flake doled out to it. The real dogs were always the 3.3's...85, 87, or 91-94.5 hp, now thats worth some bad press...

Acording the Mad Mike, depending on year and emissions application, the 255/4.2 liter Y pipe will be slightly different due to non VV carb cars using an EFE valve.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...61#post1725861

Front Y-pipe in new condition is unobtanium. I'll dig up the part number for my original one in a few days. Original construction was for fitment first, really tight crushed bends, and the crossover from the D-side to P side is crushed to fit under the bellhousing.

If you have an original Y pipe, leave it unmolested and write down the part number, it will be stamped on the leg that attaches to the catalyst. Factory manifolds and Y pipe are extremely restrictive, no point in modifying them.

The solution was found by Autolite in the 10th post

what I have now is an '86 Mustang LX with an '82 255 V8. I installed on the '82 255 V8 a spare set of Ford factory cast iron exhaust manifolds off of an older 302 Ford Fairmont Futura. With the Ford factory cast iron exhaust manifolds in place, I was able to fit the D-side heat riser valve and Y-Pipe off of an '85 LTD 3.8. I will now fit either the 'short' catalytic converter off of an 1980 Mercury Zephyr 3.3 Wagon or the 'long' catalytic converter off of the '85 3.8 LTD. I am reasonably certain that either one will do.

I'm guessing that everything from the catalytic converter back should be pretty much straight forward using my current inventory of miscellaneous spare Ford mufflers and pipes...
    For cats, you are good to go with a CA approved list replacement, the EO requirement still exists, but yu can even install twin Panther body 5.8 cats like Csaba Csere in the article below.

AIR injection is same as the 1979 5.0 Foxes, no major change for the 4.2. Just pure 5.0 non HO Goodness throughout. Everyone has trouble with carb 5.0's as well, the 4.2 is way easier because there aren't six different versions of 140, 157, 175, 165, 180, or 210 hp non HO's and HO's with four different induction systems and a now you see it, now you don't computer.

There was no primary light off cat like the early 1983 to 1985 5.0 4-bbls had, just the ages old F code 302/5.0 header tube and stock casting iron headers with secondary AIR tubes. 1980 Fairmonts and Monarchs had the engine in CA too. The castings may have changed, but the systems are the same.

KevinK or KevinD have the stock 4.2 engine...its not hard to find the grade of hose to link the AIR tubes and anti back fire valves to the AIR pump.

Check out these posts

Check this 7.5 3.45/aod/4-bbl 255 combo. "Restoring the American Dream:130 mph for the Masses
    by Csaba Csere"

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_01.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_02.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_03.jpg

http://www.ascmclarencoupe.com/Liter...Oct81_2_04.jpg

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...Identification
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ictures-needed

The kicker is that the AIR tubes were lengthened, but you can certainly use 165 hp 351W HO cats if you know where to look.

It runs only the left E1AE 5E212-CA and right E1AE 5E214-CA catalyst from, a full size Ford Panther (Crown Victoria/Merucry Marquis) with dual exhaust, ie an HO 1981 351 4-BBL engine with FMX or AOD.

E1=1981
    A= Full size Ford,
    E is Engine Engineering ( Powertrain and Chassis product Engineering )
    5E212-CA left catalyst
    5E214-CA right catalyst

Any cataylst will have the CARB EO number FIRST, but then the year, then the 5E212-CA or 5E214-CA.

I'd look for some used Panther frame Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis Police Interceptor or Ford GT 5.0 Mustang E6 cats, and do the same.

Idealy, the EO numbers and third and forth digits should be Mustang ZE

E6-ZE 5E212CA/ E6-ZE 5E214-CA with the same EO number would keep the exhaust nazis off your back, even with an early 81 4.2 engine...

Thanks for all this great info! Are all MCU's the same? I need to replace mine and I found one on eBay with the part number E1ZZ-12A651E n I just want to verify this is the correct one. I am using the CA complaint Venturi carb because I just took it to get rebuilt because my car is running super rich and the timing is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Saleenssc14 View Post
    Thanks for all this great info! Are all MCU's the same? I need to replace mine and I found one on eBay with the part number E1ZZ-12A651E n I just want to verify this is the correct one. I am using the CA complaint Venturi carb because I just took it to get rebuilt because my car is running super rich and the timing is off.

No, E1ZZ-12A651E is a dedicated computer that suits just the Windsor 4.2 V8. Its Variable Venturi carb specfic, not really engine specific, since the 5.0 and 5.8 ran VV 7200 carbs too. I think the 5.8 has a piezo electric knock sensor, like some of the other in line and V6's did. It uses TPS, but not all MCU's needed a TPS interface.

It has a "box code" that corresponds to transmissions, carb, and engine tune. A 165 HO 351 1981 computer from a Ford LTD will most likely run an approx 119 hp 4.2 okay, because the advance, idle and carb controlls are basically the same.

The VV 7200 cannot run without a computer, it uses it to cycle the idle control in the 81 CA 255/302/351 engines engine. ZZ is the family, and E is the revision number, and there is a box code stamped on it, but there were no manual VV7200 4.2 liter V8's. Any 2.3 computer won't run the idel control, and has a different fault code structure, and some core tasks are missing in its system.

So although any other Ford MCU may bolt in, its only the automatic VV 7200 carbed 4.2 or 5.0 or perhaps 5.8 computer that works on your ride. The VV 7200 changed almost every year from 1979 to 1985 (the Police used it for longer, apparently, it was a great carb in all conditions except in freezing conditions and where dust was extreme).

So a 2.3 Lima or 3.8 Essex 90 degree V6 or 2.8 Colgne 60 degree V6 item won't work. Although the 2.8 had a VV carb in some CA cars from 1977 to 1985, it was a VV2700 carb, and used a different idle control system

Is there a way or a chart in which I could look at the "box codes"? I want to be certain I find the right MCU and also to be sure the MCU it has is the correct one.

Yeah, from the Panther and Fox V8's with VV 7200 you won't have any trouble.

Unlike the EECIV/EECV's, no one has listed all the reported MCU box codes; I'm pretty rusty on what exactly happened with the last of the carbed F150/250/350 and E series vans in Canada after 1987, but until 1995 in Canada, the P71 Police Cruisers and F150 trucks, it had VV7200 equiped 351 options, which required MCU control. The 4180/4190 4-bbl Holley crb didn't.

For helpfull info to you, the Basic Ford Part number has another engine emmission decel calibration number, like the one used on the VECI (
    Vehicle Emissions Control Information) decel. The bottom right box has a code letter of two or three characters which were matched on the MCU's bar code.

For instance, any VV7200 equiped MCU in good condition should work for you. They normally have a red or orange strain relief.

Post #7 on http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/57...-computer.html show

EX and DN coded MCU's...they will work as long as there is TPS and knocksensor similarity.

Any thing 1981-1995 and MCU V8 Windsor OHV should.

Blue Strain relief computers from 4 cylinder cars like

E1ZF-12A651-D2A box number P076 or
    E1ZF-12A651-D1A with box number P072 or 4072 ....
    or the 1983 Ranger E3-TZ-12A651-C with GN bar code, or an HB bar code......

they won't work

Hey Xctasy, I the strain relief the center bolt that holds the connector from the harness and the connector from the MCU?

Yes, color coded for each engine family L4, L6, or V8. The Californian D code 4.2 liter in the 1982 Foxes looked orange. The voltage sweep and TPS type changed for 1982 -1985 model year, so only your TPS needs to change to the later one, or the MCU's wired TPS input just needs to have a conversion transformation so a different voltage won't trip out a DTC.

The #E0VE-9B989-AA Ford sensor has a 1.6-2.0 volt curb idle between black and green wires. In Fig 5, it details the same roll pin retained TPS unit, but this is the earlier adjustable, pre EECIV sensor type. The late modles, 0.8 to 1.0 volt at curb idle between black and green wires, Type C, adjustable.Then another none slotted, Type D/RD, non adjustable with 0.90-1.10 volts curb.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...Adjustment.jpg

That TPS signal to the MCU changed in 1982 model year, the TPS was of a certain type, then changed to suit the MCU; that can be changed pretty easily.

the Throttle Position Sensor for the Ford Motorcraft Variable Venturi 7200.
    Walker 200-1011 tps,

Ford Part E0VE-9B989-AA.

Its a bolt on under the automatic choke item, and as such will fit any other vehicle, including a Holley.

Ford used it on the early MCU controlled VV carbs in the 1980 Panther LTD's with the HO 165 hp 351's, but there were others from 1977 to 1985. The voltage sweep changed for the later ones starting 1982 then all after 1984, although its in the same place on the later cars too. Just a differnt voltage increment as it sweeps around. They started moving to more EEC based systems, so they changed it to suit those.

For close up, see http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...3f8021227c.gif

Walker 200-1011 tps is on the left

Fords development on that VV carb was pretty hard core.

FoMoCo had three TPS pictures for the VV Motorcraft 2-bbl. And in excess of three sensors, early, mid term and later tps sensors.

1. The early ones had two extra bolts for a drivers side TPS.

2. The 1980 optional on big Foxes and Panthers AOD Throttle Valve killed that off, resulting in the #E0VE-9B989-AA TPS, but the Motorcraft Variable Venturi 2-barrel Carburetor Carb D9FE-SA 1979 Ford still had the lower throttle body with the extra holes for it.

2nd type

2nd type, other view. Some had a roll pin view, the last picture of this post, which I think may have been a FoMoCo service update

The info I have is the same, a roll pin is a provision on some Variable Venturi carbs, but there are two generic families, the VV2700 and the dislexic VV7200.

Some had TPS, but not all.

Some earlier versions had the TPS on the other side of the carb.

What I have found is that as long as it passes its IM test, the CA testing guys often cut you some visual slack since the VV7200 is out of production and has no parts supply.

1981 5 liter Panther guys, like Richard Lentinello, and 1988 5.8 cars, use the approved carb EO VV7200 1981 LTD Holley #1-591 or#1-684 2bbl carb, to which the stock E0 TPS or perhaps the Innovate RTD-TPS-1001 or Ryan Brown TPS is fitted. The stock VV 7200 stepper motor controls idle.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Or you could just move... Then you could yank that boat anchor for something decent.
    LOL that's funny right there. But I think moving Up Nordt is a bit extreme, when we can swap that 255 out
    for pretty much any engine we like. Yes, even in California. Just have to mind the emissions gear, which is
    not that hard to do, nor does it have to cost any significant amount of power if you're doing it right.

But for those that like originality, and are up for the challenge, a 255 can be made to do far more than Ford
    ever intended. And as a bonus, they're significantly lighter than even the already-lightweight 302.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I moved to a non emissions county and it is so nice. I keep my car running pretty good, but not having to pay a $25 fee every year, no additional tax on gas for emissions compliance programs and much cheaper taxes and registration fees for the same reasons. Not sure I'd ever go back. However, if I do make in reversible changes, at 30 years all cars are considered to be "collector" plates capable and non-emission required.
    1 1987 cougar

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack View Post
    I moved to a non emissions county and it is so nice. I keep my car running pretty good, but not having to pay a $25 fee every year, no additional tax on gas for emissions compliance programs and much cheaper taxes and registration fees for the same reasons. Not sure I'd ever go back. However, if I do make in reversible changes, at 30 years all cars are considered to be "collector" plates capable and non-emission required.

A normal reaction to emmisions, HS.

I find that the biggest issue is understanding what is avalialiable from historical information that is suddenly withdrawn and editted out of existance so poor old D code 4.2 and 6 code 3.8 liter owners think they are screwed into emission control removal....

Basically, Holley removed all refrences to its 7508-1 0810 #1-591 non feedback and 7508 whatever suffix #1-684 feedback VV 7200 replacement 280 to 360 cfm 2-bbl carb in 1992. Post #3 on this link proves it.http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/...is-this-Holley

It existed as an 1978 to 1985 option to fix problems with non informed service on the VV7200, which mostly was little more than "back street abortion" to an already well formed Ford VV carb. That the VV survived for 15 years in Europe and North America proved that. The 9117 2-bbl 280 cfm Holley carb I've used was a move towards Holley muscling into the 1978 OEM Windsor 5.0 V8 carb market, and it was Ford and CARB that started making the OEM carburation and exclusive non Holley deal until the 1979 to 1987 2300EG and 4180/4190EG's. Ford really made it harder by eliminating the extra (costly!) exclusive training and knowledge base by pulling information in culls or info pogams from 1980 to 1985....they just expunged any references to non applicable systems and focused on the new and improved. Its like a bunch of counter reactionary revisionsts trying to appease the masses from trying to follow the gigantic intelligence that was at work making those 1978 to 1985 Variable Venturi cars go so well. The compliants were actually general issues that the VV 7200 didn't really suffer from, but other fuel delkivery systems did.

The pulldown chokes and EECIII to EECIV weirdness of the CFI and all its variations were mixed up with the goodness of a well tuned VV 2700 or VV7200..... and those sytems changed from EECII, to MCU and the confusion over Duraspark III, Duraspark II and TFI made any explanations very darn complicated.

My favourite has to be an Emissions compliant 1982 Bronco truck, which had an optional 351M truck engine with Sequential injection like crank position sensor all EECIII CFI Lincolns got, but a VV 7200 carb and Duraspark III ignition...how the heck do you explain the fact that around the years from 1980 to 1983, there were still five different 351 V8's, and they could have anyone of three different carb systems, two different management systems, and, the world over, three different engine blocks and heads.

There were Motorcraft 2150 EO approved electronic power valve replacements, and lots of stuff which was a knee jerk reation to the problems of understanding Fords stock systems.

I know it sounds arrogant and big brother, but Ford spent billons on making whatever carb or fuel delivery system work for that year, and you have got any number of options, excluding engine swaps, or including engine swaps if you want to.

Taking a few evenings out to understand the systems by reading and asking some questions will avoid anyone having to pull emissions SH!+ off your ride. Combined with legal swaps, you cna make a IM compliant 4.2 make 180 hp with just the flat tapped cmas and stock systems, and not be Gross Pollutored out with a 90 day writ to comply.

My '78 California-spec wagon had the 2700VV carb, and it ran every bit as well as my '79 49-state wagon
    with the 2150. The VV carbs were just... different, and a lot of mechanics resist different, because they
    don't understand what they're looking at. Having had a lot of experience dialing in SUs, I already had a
    pretty good handle on how the VV carbs work, so I wasn't afraid of them.

Only thing you really need to dial in a 2700VV is a good gauge that can accurately read the low-level
    control vacuum. Your standard-issue manifold vacuum gauge is not good enough.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

The VV 7200 is a great runner when tuned properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dT2h9aZ2Y
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3dCyUZL2E
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKwSeTlODU

I guess some of the later ones went TFI ignition, but the 1981/1982 only Crown Vics, and the 5.0/5.8's really were fine.

The 5.0 to 4.2 Fox downgrade was such a retrograde step, but there were 5.0 Foxes every year from 1978 to the last Fox 4 SN95 and its derivatives. It was only the short and medium wheelbase cars that had the 5.0 removed for almost two years. ...the 1982 on S-sheels (Tbrid, Cougar XR7, Continental VII, LSC) still had it, and it got this exhaust if it was carburettor...the 5.0 gt exhaust.

The 4.2 didn't get the uprated fuel pump of the 5.0 HO, nor even the basic 1978 to 1979 302, or the Long wheelbase Tbird/XR7 exhaust, it was down graded for size, weight, economy, and cost reasons. A junked 5.0 1982 to 1985 exhaust system, even with its primary light off cat, would be an improvment on stock, and not a visual inspection failure.

All Variable Venturi and Constant Venturi carbs constantly get a bad wrap on account of there Robert A. Heinlein strange-ness. .

SU's had wearing surfaces of the plunger and main/needle jet (it has biased swing spring needles in later use that were designed to wear), and required frequent (30 thousand mile) tuneups.

Zenith Stromberg CD's were the same, but had an even worse complication, they wore out rubber diaphrams.

The Toyota Tercyl/Suzuki truck, some Corollas and Toyota based Chevy Nova's had the Aisin Variable Venturi carb, and its reliablity was based on having an unworn, in spec carb body. IF that was okay, they worked great, but even the Japanese had major production problesm with this carb from 1980 to 1996, and it was a problem child carb.

The first years "second gen" 1983 to 1985 100-104 hp 1829 cc Prelude had twin CV's and. like the 3-bbl CVCC engine, was reliable as well.

Everyone but Ford and Honda had legion problems with there variable venturi carbs.

Ford might have pushed the boundaries, but the VV carb was never a turkey, just really different...and you have to attack it with knowledge, not with some pliers and some 6 gauge fencing wire.

One thing I was wrong on was that it does have fuel air controll for open and closed loop operation on the VV7200.

Its essentially operted by air bleed to create the right air fuel ratio. The float soak, and non operation of the computer due to a fualt, then jams the carb on its un assisted rich setting. The air control on replacment Holley 2-bbl carbs makes the operation of the carb the same as the VV7200.

On a CFI or SEFI , richness and leaness is controlled by injector pulse width, while on the VV7200, its controlled by air bleed. The rest of the VV carb operation is rock solid and self compensating. If its rich, its a simple problem with

static adjusments,
    (the choke,
    idle control stepper),
    air bleeds
    crap in the system,

or the MCU interface.

Common practise has been avoidance of the VV entirely

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...03/ltd-update/

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/t...station-wagon/

Quote Originally Posted by Saleenssc14 View Post
    I recently bought a 1981 mustang, but came with no cats or mufflers. I was wondering if anyone has some images from the headers to the cats, back down to the exhaust. No shop here can find the Air Injection hose I need so I am trying to see what options I have.

Thanks in advanced for the help.

As Autolite stated in Post 10

what I have now is an '86 Mustang LX with an '82 255 V8. I installed on the '82 255 V8 a spare set of Ford factory cast iron exhaust manifolds off of an older 302 Ford Fairmont Futura. With the Ford factory cast iron exhaust manifolds in place, I was able to fit the D-side heat riser valve and Y-Pipe off of an '85 LTD 3.8. I will now fit either the 'short' catalytic converter off of an 1980 Mercury Zephyr 3.3 Wagon or the 'long' catalytic converter off of the '85 3.8 LTD. I am reasonably certain that either one will do.

I'm guessing that everything from the catalytic converter back should be pretty much straight forward using my current inventory of miscellaneous spare Ford mufflers and pipes...
    Here is the standard 85 3.8 exhaust and crossover, care of uncleterry from England. The old one, not New England. Plenty of those 3.8's around

From another post, it may be horrible, but this is the remedial repair to make an old one functional.

Downstream Secondary AIR tubes are no longer merchendised for older Fords, so we have to adapt things by checking interchanges from others who have had a go.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post

Downstream Secondary AIR tubes are no longer merchendised for older Fords, so we have to adapt things by checking interchanges from others who have had a go.
    Is this a picture from under my car? HaHa. Because it looks 100% identical. That HD hose is plenty strong to tolerate the heat. Mine has been under there for years. It is literally the EXACT same repair.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast