Close

Default '86 SVO dogboned bellhousing replacement....?

Has anyone successfully bolted-in a non-dogboned 2.3 L replacement bellhousing for the SVO dogboned bellhousing? If so, year/PN?

Thank you.
    Last edited by arvak; 05-02-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

Yes. You need a bellhousing from a 2.3 with an RAD transmission.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

What year range would the RAD trans/2.3 L combination be in? Might you have a bellhousing PN? And would the RAD throwout bearing arm work with the SVO clutch cable? Thanks
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

I believe the bellhousing part number is D9ZC 6394 EA. I have one from my 79 PC that was originally a 2.3 Turbo.

Name:  IMG_2270.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  118.7 KB

I plan on doing the swap into my SVO, but I have not gotten there just yet. My plan is to use a stock 5.0 clutch cable. I am not sure on the clutch fork just yet.

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-03-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The clutch fork that came with that bellhousing will work perfectly.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The RAD bell is compatible with the T5 trans. I've not yet been able to verify if the larger SVO clutch, flywheel, and starter is compatible with the RAD bell housing.

The fork on the bottom is an early direct pull fork ....

Bob Myers ©

84 Capri RS Turbo - Only a 4 banger - 1/8th 6.29@110, 1/4 9.87@137

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I believe the bellhousing part number is D9ZC 6394 EA. I have one from my 79 PC that was originally a 2.3 Turbo.

Name:  IMG_2270.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  118.7 KB

I plan on doing the swap into my SVO, but I have not gotten there just yet. My plan is to use a stock 5.0 clutch cable. I am not sure on the clutch fork just yet.

Trey
    As luck would have it, I have a D9ZC 6394 EA for the swap....yahoo!!!! The main reason I am thinking of the swap is I've already had a dogbone break and my present back condition will not permit getting under the SVO to replace it if it decides to break in the future. Also, am I possibly correct that the clutching effort will be reduced with the swap....my left foot has some neuropathy problems. Thank you all!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 05-03-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    The RAD bell is compatible with the T5 trans. I've not yet been able to verify if the larger SVO clutch, flywheel, and starter is compatible with the RAD bell housing.

I can't test the bellhousing on my engine right now since it is sitting on the stand. But I did test fit my SVO flywheel into the D9ZC bellhousing and it fits just fine. Can't verify that there might not be an issue once installed on the engine, but the flywheel appears to fit without any issues. I believe the overall outer diameter of the flywheel is the same for the 79-86 2.3 (maybe even for the 87-93 too?) so it appears there shouldn't be any issues from what I can tell

Then again I have been wrong before!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I have a RAD flywheel, clutch, and TOB on my shelf, I suppose we could take measurements and compare them to someone's SVO parts?

I think the SVO clutch is 1" larger in diameter than the 79 2.3t disc? I'm unsure how that might effect relative clearances for the other SVO parts inside a RAD bell. I'm guessing it can be made to work with the right combination of OEM parts. I just haven't had a chance to mock it up yet.

Btw, I'm especially interested in this because I want to upgrade my 79 2.3t to a T5 trans with the larger SVO flywheel and clutch inside of the original RAD bell.

I am not saying that Rock Auto is the ultimate authority, but their catalog shows the same flywheel ring gear and diameter for both a 79 2.3T and an 86 SVO 2.3T.

It lists different clutch discs and pressure plates for the 4 speeds and the 5 speeds, but I believe it can be made to work. I don't have any of my 79 RAD parts other than the bellhousing but I do have all the parts from an 86 SVO for comparison if needed.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I only have the D9

....oops....

I only have the D9ZC bellhousing and my yet to be "re-belled", squeeky stock '86 SVO: I will be REALLY APPRECIATIVE with the measurements pointing to the D9ZC bellhousing and the '86 SVO flywheel, clutch, TOB & starter all working together w/o problems. Thanks ALL!
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

Early 2.3 use 8.5" clutch disk, 11.256 ring gear.
    Later 2.3 use 9.0" clutch disk, 11.256 ring gear.

Both early and later flywheels have to be of the same dia, since the ring gear is the same.
    Later design with 9" clutch assys. Not that much difference in size.
    Should fit fine in RAD bell.
    The RAD bell starter mounting should allow the starter to spin a later design flywheel.

The flywheel machined faces are different between the two flywheels according to the pics.
    Looks like wider face, multi bolt pattern on the later one for multi apps.
    The larger 9" disc/pp prob wont even bolt up to the earlier 8.5" disc/pp flywheel due to the hole pattern (intentional?).

110.00 diff. Later version flywheel is lesser cost.

later flywheel says 21#
    early flywheel says 22#
    http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/f...l-transmission

Rad trans/clutch disc and 2.3 T5 trans/clutch disk both 10 spline.

From here, appears certain later trans, flywheels and clutch assys interchange in RAD bells.
    Dunno about SVO or quadrant adjust clutch cables, clutch fork, and stuff.
    Final check is to do this 'live'. Who's first?

This is getting more interesting with all the entrys....! One unanswered aspect is the clutch pedal effort. I did replace the SVO quadrant when the oe quadrant failed and, at the same time, added a firewall adjuster all by Steeda: might that have added to the clutch pedal effort? All my previous Fox 5.0 clutches have had significantly less disengagement effort....
    My 4 Mustangs:
    64.5 K Coupe
    66 A fb
    82 GT w/T-top
    86 SVO

I just made this swap in my SVO a couple months back. Bellhousing D9ZC 6394 DA with the clutch fork that came with it. Stock diameter flywheel and Spec stage 3+ 9" clutch which is the stock diameter SVO clutch. The 5.0 clutch cable fits perfect. Pedal effort does seem a little easier,but might be due to the new cable as well. There is another bell that is identical with a part number of D9BC 7515 BA. I had the two bells next to each other and made careful measurements of both. Including the clutch fork pivot ball and it's location. The two are identical.
    86 SVO Boport stage 3 head,Turbonetics T-66,96lb/hr injectors,lots of BOOST!

Just a new cable can make a huge difference in the pedal effort. If that is really the only thing you hope to gain, I would throw a new cable at it. You really wouldn't think it would make that much difference but it truly CAN. Just depends on how bad the old one is.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775