Close

Default Power window guides for convertible

I just got lower power window guides for both front and rear windows on my 84 Convertible.
    This is the parts I got;

Rear Quarter lower window guides
    Ford part number.E2ZZ-6622362-A
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252361130047...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Front lower window guides
    Ford part number E3ZZ-66222A92-A
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/191740248933...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I cant find the uppers for either front or back by simple Google or ebay search for upper power window guides. Does anyone know the exact part numbers for the upper guides front and rear? Next time I pull the door panels I intend to get these windows to close right.

can anyone tell me if the upper and lower guides are the same part or is there different parts with different numbers?

I wonder if this is the upper rear... The orientation of the slots are different and so is the part number:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...1730-2457.html
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    I wonder if this is the upper rear... The orientation of the slots are different and so is the part number:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...1730-2457.html
    I would expect the upper and lower to be symmetrical.

In this video on LMR they briefly show the guy popping out the guide bushings and they look the same upper and lower on the rears.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-29530A/1983...5SRBoCM17w_wcB

The uppers and lower on the fronts do appear different so I need a part number for the front upper if anyone has it.

I may not need to replace the guides but the bushings I put in 2 summers back are already sloppy beyond belief,
    Id rather find Motorcraft NOS instead of the junk after market LMR brand. I would like a NOS part number for the guide bushings too if possible. I want to fix this once and for all next time I pull my door panels.

Look how sloppy my guide bushings are in this video.

Last edited by fgross2006; 05-04-2016 at 09:56 PM.

... on the window adjusting instructions, that I got from here somewhere in "THE LIBRARY" ^ ^ ^, they show differentiation in adjusting window tilt back and forth and fore and aft, per upper/lower bolts/nuts at those locations, so... I was just inside the through mine a while back, but have not gone through the adjustment stuff, and still need to... I'm guessing the uppers are slotted one way and the lowers are slotted perpendicularly...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 05-04-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    ... on the window adjusting instructions, that I got from here somewhere in "THE LIBRARY" ^ ^ ^, they show differentiation in adjusting window tilt back and forth and fore and aft, per upper/lower bolts/nuts at those locations, so... I was just inside the through mine a while back, but have not gone through the adjustment stuff, and still need to... I'm guessing the uppers are slotted one way and the lowers are slotted perpendicularly...
    That's why I noted that the slots on the NOS window guide plates were slotted in a different direction. That's probably the difference between th uppers and the lowers. I haven't looked at mine yet, but it's on my summer "to do" list.
    Bryan

That's why I noted that the slots on the NOS window guide plates were slotted in a different direction. That's probably the difference between th uppers and the lowers. I haven't looked at mine yet, but it's on my summer "to do" list.
    Mine too. Each couple times I've now had the top down and back up, it's a small PITA manually "adjusting" the rear side windows to sit right again.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

does anybody have a blow up diagram on the window guide assemblies for the front and rear/ That would shed light on the position of the slots.

I spoke to Matt at NPD. He said the uppers and lowers are slotted differently and there are two distinct parts.

Its too bad I bought the lowers from ebay and paid 15 each when NPD has them for 7.95 each.

Im getting a par of uppers from NPD and Im still looking for the uppers for the front.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I spoke to Matt at NPD. He said the uppers and lowers are slotted differently and there are two distinct parts.

Its too bad I bought the lowers from ebay and paid 15 each when NPD has them for 7.95 each.

Im getting a par of uppers from NPD and Im still looking for the uppers for the front.
    Well, that's some progress at any rate.
    Bryan

Well, that's some progress at any rate.
    yes but I need front uppers much more urgently then the rear quarters. At least a part number so I have something to search for would be helpful.

Are you sure the bushings aren't just shot? I don't see how the metal plate can wear while there is a vinyl bushing in place. Mine were like that before new bushings.
    65 Fastback 302/T5
    82 Mustang GT
    84 Mustang Predator GT302H 4S-119

Quote Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002 View Post
    Are you sure the bushings aren't just shot? I don't see how the metal plate can wear while there is a vinyl bushing in place. Mine were like that before new bushings.
    I am revisiting this as soon as Spring starts in NY. I was looking to work on this at this time last year when my engine died and the summer veered into a whole new project. having finished the engine now I need to get the problems with my doors squared away before I shop for a paint job.

As it stands I have the upper and lower power window brackets for the rear quarter windows. I have the lowers for the front windows. I never did locate the uppers for the front. Matt at NPD worked with me on this last year and again today. After viewing a blow up diagram from Ford it appears the upper bracket and the bushing for all brackets share the same part number. Any search for this part number points back to the bushing inserts. Its maddening but I gotta move on so I'm gonna just re-bush the front uppers and replace the brackets everywhere else.

Attachment 110090

I have way too much play in the power window operation and I could never get the adjustments spot on. I also want to replace the small hockey pucks at the bottom of the glass. One of them is obscured by the inner door frame and I cant see a way to get a new pop rivet in there. Anybody else done this before?

After that I want to replace the door stops and the pin and roller sets. I changed the bushing and pins 2 summers back. the doors have no play in them. Just the roller and door tensioner. And on the driver side the bolt that holds the tensioner sheared its head off so I need to figure out how to easy out the broken shaft.

if I try to remove the doors myself what is the best way to keep the door steady with the wiring still attached?

Last edited by smitty54; 03-15-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    I have that book already. It doesn't answer all of my questions. The part number and availability of the front upper power window bracket was what I was looking for. Now I know from the Ford diagram I posted above that the part number for the upper front bracket is the exact same part number as the bushing inserts which make finding a set of front upper brackets NOS an impossibility.

Also the procedure for re riveting the "hockey pucks" to the bottom of the window isn't in the manual. One of the hockey pucks is accessible, the other is not which makes it seem the window has to come out completely in order to replace the right side puck. Which in my case is the one that needs to be replaced.

I found sets of window pucks Motorcraft NOS on ebay. I saw a few bad reviews on LMR about the repros being a poor fit. However the repros come as a kit with the exact size pop rivets and the NOS doesn't. Offhand does anyone know the exact rivet size I'd need with the NOS pucks?
    Last edited by fgross2006; 03-15-2017 at 09:00 AM.