Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just got an update saying "he will fix anything that is incorrect" and "these will be corrected to your specifications, without additional cost to you". With this being a reputable auto upholstery business, we would expect no less. I will update later with the outcome. It will probably not be any time soon though. The wait is the hardest part for me.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

FYI for anyone considering it. TMI will sew up covers using the OEM material if you send it to them. From my conversations with them, there was no discount on the price even with you supplying the materials, but they will use the correct materials if provided to them.

If you have a good relationship with a shop that sells TMI you can have them set it all up for you and maybe get a bit cheaper pricing. Otherwise you will need to contact TMI directly and work through them.

You can contact Waylon Krumrie wkrumrie@tmiproducts.com at TMI and he can help you in regards to any custom orders such as this.

There is another one I spoke to also, but I can't find her information right now. I believe it was Mary, but I will have to double check.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by LT-84GTturbo View Post
    I just got an update saying "he will fix anything that is incorrect" and "these will be corrected to your specifications, without additional cost to you". With this being a reputable auto upholstery business, we would expect no less. I will update later with the outcome. It will probably not be any time soon though. The wait is the hardest part for me.
    When you spend 5 thousand dollars (a price that I find insanely large), this is the only answer that they should give you.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    (a price that I find insanely large)
    I agree. To be fair about the price though, that did include around $1350 of SMS fabric & shipping charges and I am pretty sure there was mark-up added by the car restorer (not the upholstery guy) based on the quotes I got from SMS. I think that was for 3 1/2 yards of insert material and 6 yards of the plain stuff to do both the front & rear seats. As others have said many times, SMS is pricey but worth it. Even the car restorer was hesitant to buy from SMS because of the cost but I insisted.

One thing that was a little tricky on our seats is that it is an early '84. The tags on the bottoms of the seats showed that they were made in November 1983. When the upholstery guy saw the '84 upholstery, he immediately knew that it wasn't right for the car and found the correct fabric in the SMS catalog for '83 before starting. I give him a lot of credit for that. I have only seen photos so far but I am pretty sure he got that part right. I know many places would have said '84 car so '84 upholstery is correct and the old stuff that is on there now is not. WRONG!

So considering that all of the seats were covered and the upholsterer is standing behind his work, if they end up being correct, we will be satisfied with the price even if we could have gotten a better deal somewhere else. I have been waiting 25 years to get to the end of this process. I just want it to be over and done right.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Does anyone have a picture of the tmi seat covers for the 83 cars? My son is 16 and there is no way he can or would buy the fabric from SMS to redo his front seats.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Our car is finally finished and I wanted to give a quick update on our seats. We were told that the upholstery shop ran short on material the first time around and added the ugly vinyl pieces at the tops as filler. To make a long story short, they stood behind their work and fixed the mistakes at no additional charge.

This is the final result:

Name:  IMG_1974.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  88.4 KB

Not perfect but very, very close and a whole lot better than their first attempt.
    Larry

1984 Mustang GT Turbo

Looking good! Glad you got it worked out.

Looks good. That had to be a load off your mind.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Looks good. That had to be a load off your mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy 83.5 View Post
    Looking good! Glad you got it worked out.
    Thanks!!!

Definitely a load off. We saved for years and still had to go in debt to restore the car. I just wanted everything to be the way I remembered it. I was ready to give up on it about the time the seat mess happened.

Much better...

The bolster seams at the top of the seats should be at 45 degree angles, but this is probably the best you're going to get without wasting a lot of fabric.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12