Close

Default BBK equal length shorty headers problem?

I put a set of bbk equal length shorty headers on my 89 5.0 H.O. in my 84 LX and it seems like at a idle in gear the header on the driver's side mite be rattling up against the steering shaft from the motor moving around? I put brand new rubber motor mounts after I got it! Maybe I should of went with the urethane motor mounts. I have heard a few say that once you start building a engine they have a tendency to shake alittle? Anybody else run in to this problem? I'm not sure that is what it is but I remember it is close on that side! Doesn' t effect the steering at all. I will have to put it in gear with foot on brake and have someone take a look for me!

That seems to be a pretty common problem with the equal length BBK shorties. They stick out a ways further than anything else which makes it tight, especially on the drivers side. Minus dimpling the tube that is right by the steering shaft, there is not really a good way to resolve this from what I have heard. Also make sure that the dipstick tube is reattached and not rubbing up against the header as that can make a rattle also. Mine was loose when they put the BBK unequal shorties on mine and it had a "tick" sound that took me forever to find.

I don't know if using the poly motor mounts vs the new rubber ones that you said to be installed will honestly make any difference.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

You can try loosening the motor (and transmission) mounts, and see if you can move the engine over to the passenger side a tiny bit, and tighten it back down. And I think you can unbolt the column from the firewall or where ever, and move it over in the opposite direction, and gain clearance as well.

Raising the engine a small bit won't work?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I think you can loosen the shaft and push it over to the left to gain a little more clearance. I did that with mine, but it still wasn't enough as it contacted all the time. I have the unequal length shorties. I ended up having to beat a dimple into it to clear the shaft, then having it ceramic coated again. I have poly motor mounts and solid steering shaft.
    Dan

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ng-GT-restomod

1986 Mustang GT Cobra
    Lotsa stuff, lotsa work. Check my thread above.

Daily drivers
    2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke crew 4X4
    2012 F-150 Ecoboost Screw FX4

Quote Originally Posted by danco86 View Post
    I think you can loosen the shaft and push it over to the left to gain a little more clearance. I did that with mine, but it still wasn't enough as it contacted all the time. I have the unequal length shorties. I ended up having to beat a dimple into it to clear the shaft, then having it ceramic coated again. I have poly motor mounts and solid steering shaft.
    I think I am going to have to dimple mine.
    I already shifted the column over and it still touches.
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

BBK just writes ads that say a part fits this or that. I learned a long time ago it's just that. AN AD. They have never actually fit anything to any real car. My guess would be they have engineering drawings and make parts off those. It is just impossible that they ever fit anything to a real car because all of their parts fit (or don't fit I should say) so terribly bad.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    BBK just writes ads that say a part fits this or that. I learned a long time ago it's just that. AN AD. They have never actually fit anything to any real car. My guess would be they have engineering drawings and make parts off those. It is just impossible that they ever fit anything to a real car because all of their parts fit (or don't fit I should say) so terribly bad.
    EXACTLY! I have said it in multiple posts and I stand behind the fact that I will NEVER use any of their products again and will advocate that others do not also. As I go through my car, eventually all of the BBK products installed by PO's will be replaced with much better quality and fitting parts. The only thing worse than their parts is their customer service.....
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?