Close

Thumbs up Removing ethanol from gasoline!

I found this on another forum, and thought it was very cool!

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/8-...ne-photos.html

Might be a big production for automotive application, but looks to be very practical for small engine users.

What thinks you all?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I just buy ethanol free for all of my lawn equipment.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

For a location and grades of enthanol-free gasoline in your area:

http://www.pure-gas.org
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    For a location and grades of enthanol-free gasoline in your area:

http://www.pure-gas.org

I see that site posted all the time, but unfortunately every time I check I find no stations selling ethanol free within 50 miles of me.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    I just buy ethanol free for all of my lawn equipment.

I do buy ethanol free avgas from our local Stihl dealer for my two stroke lawn equipment. It's around $7/gal though. Worth it in that case as I'm convinced that ethanol destroys two strokes.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Originally posted by mmb617

I do buy ethanol free avgas from our local Stihl dealer for my two stroke lawn equipment. It's around $7/gal though. Worth it in that case as I'm convinced that ethanol destroys two strokes.
    Maybe that's why I can't get the Lawn Boy mower I got at a tag sale running.
    It will run off the primer bulb ,but not off the carb.
    Did I waste $15 ?
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

FEP Power Member

I use stable 360
    Kendal

i just wonder if you can drink the ethanol after you separate it.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

LOL! I doubt it would be a healthy behavior...

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
    The reed valves?
    Someone needs to market an end-of-season canned fuel with conditioners for the carb. Just put it in, run the engine out of the fuel, and store.
    When I was a kid, my dad would have me run the mower out of gas, then we'd change the oil, and it was ready to go in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dog View Post
    Originally posted by mmb617Maybe that's why I can't get the Lawn Boy mower I got at a tag sale running.
    It will run off the primer bulb ,but not off the carb.
    Did I waste $15 ?
    No. Just remove the carb and take off the bowl. Then get some good reading glasses and a magnifying glass, and look for any passages which could be blocked. Then just ream them all real good with some thin wire, like a B string from an electric guitar, put it together and give it a try. I've gotten a few going this way, but not gotten a couple of others to stay running.

Find out what engine and carb you've got, google them, and you will probably find some good advice for getting it going without an expensive new carb - which would still make $15 a good price if the rest of the mower is in nice shape.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I just like the McGyver aspect, as well as the circumventing of the system which this process permits. I could see the novelty wearing off, and saying "screw it" and buying the canned stuff at the store.

But I was also struck by how simple this process really is.

Quote Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    The reed valves?
    Someone needs to market an end-of-season canned fuel with conditioners for the carb. Just put it in, run the engine out of the fuel, and store.
    When I was a kid, my dad would have me run the mower out of gas, then we'd change the oil, and it was ready to go in the spring.

No, the reed valves aren't the problem. The Stihl dealer who serviced all our chain saws back when I worked for Babcock Lumber explained it to me this way. The hygroscopic property of ethanol tends to cause the oil mixed in to want to separate out of suspension. When that happens the piston can seize. Best case the engine wears much faster.

This guy was a real guru at fixing and maintaining two stroke engines and I believe he knew what he was talking about. He started selling the avgas because he felt that ethanol was causing too many engine failures to his customers. I don't think he was doing it in an attempt to make more money because he was already constantly swamped with work. I actually think selling the avgas was a PIA to him as he had to get 55 gallon drums at the airport then sell 1 and 2 gallons at a time to customers. He couldn't have been making much profit from it in comparison to his sales and service work.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

Thanks for the explanation Mike.
    I can see why the local tractor dealer is selling Cam2 racing fuel.
    It looks like I will get a couple gallons for the Lawn Boy and the other 2 strokers in the garage.

And grabbergreen84 my kid is restringing a Fender Squier he just picked up.
    So I told him I got dibs on his old B string.
    That makes 3 guitars now, his original bass, a B.C.Rich Warlock, and the Squier.
    I ask if for each one he gets, if I could get another 4 Eye? But I get shot down.
    The last 2 he got for free.
    Last edited by Ray Dog; 04-11-2016 at 03:37 PM.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A