Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

So funny story, I was sourcing up a fan shroud last week and ended up meeting a guy to buy one off of him. I told him the issues I was having and if he wanted to have a look. He obliged and as he was poking around the front I looked at the rear of the engine and notices a loose wire. Asked the guy what the wire was and it turned out to be the grounding wire that goes from the block to the the fire wall. He grabbed a screw driver and re-attached the wire to the firewall. I then bought the shroud and took a little advice from the guy. Upon leaving I noticed the car was running much smoother. Long story short the grounding wire solved my rough idle, temp gauge issues (yes it now works perfectly), seemingly helped the cooling system as it is much slower to get hot ( though it could just be my paranoia tapering off), and my fuel economy has significantly improved. This made me super happy but at the same time super pissed at the shop I took my car to as they really should have noticed something like that...
    1982 Mercury Capri RS ( operation un-douchefy )

I recently replaced the clamps that attach directly to the battery as they were very much oxodized and that solved another group of problems I was having. The vary last thing I really need your guys's help with is where I can find a full wiring diagram for the car. I believe it is supposed to have 4 grounding wires and it currently only has the one that goes from the block to the firewall. I need to re-wire a bunch of things and those diagrams would be a huge help. On a side note I recently bought a new dash and threw it on, re-painted the scoop, grate by the windshield wipers and the grill. She is looking pretty and running well. Just need to get rid of the stupid gremlins...

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle_Eddie View Post
    The vary last thing I really need your guys's help with is where I can find a full wiring diagram for the car.
    Here is a link to the .PDF's in the Electrical section of the tech forum:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...=1#post1563261
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Cool start on a hot project!! Congrats!
    Glad you got the cooling issues at bay.

I understand your frustration on mechanics shops.. here where I live theres at least one on every corner and few if any of them I would actually trust to work on my car. thats how I became a mechanic. Got tired of paying people to screw up MY car!!

Anyway.. to solve the grounding issues on all of my fox cars I have a 4ga ground wire running directly to the block, then a 8ga wire running from the battery to the chassis close to the grounding point for the front lights, and a 4ga "starter cable" running from the grounding point of the block to the chassis underneath. Its all neatly in place and you wouldnt even notice it. Overkill.. maybe.. but no grounding issues!

The orignal ground cable on a '82 was a crazy piece that grounded itself to the chassis beside the battery on the front apron, where the metal is as thin as tin foil, then snaked its way to the mounting point on the engine block. It was not really adequate when new, and over the years as cables went bad and people replaced them, they just put generic cables on that did not have the ground lug to the chassis. Add in a motor swap or 2 and the ground strap gets left off, then you have weird problems and nobody knows why. On every old fox I bought the ground wiring was all hacked up. I spent maybe $50 on cables to fix mine up. Money well spent, and you dont have to worry about it.

Go ahead and get an ignition switch, a headlight switch, and brake light switch. If these arent bad they will be soon!! I used BWD from Oreilly's in my cars. No problems.

Keep us posted on the progress of this cat, and again congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capri-Magic View Post
    Cool start on a hot project!! Congrats!
    Glad you got the cooling issues at bay.

I understand your frustration on mechanics shops.. here where I live theres at least one on every corner and few if any of them I would actually trust to work on my car. thats how I became a mechanic. Got tired of paying people to screw up MY car!!

Anyway.. to solve the grounding issues on all of my fox cars I have a 4ga ground wire running directly to the block, then a 8ga wire running from the battery to the chassis close to the grounding point for the front lights, and a 4ga "starter cable" running from the grounding point of the block to the chassis underneath. Its all neatly in place and you wouldnt even notice it. Overkill.. maybe.. but no grounding issues!

The orignal ground cable on a '82 was a crazy piece that grounded itself to the chassis beside the battery on the front apron, where the metal is as thin as tin foil, then snaked its way to the mounting point on the engine block. It was not really adequate when new, and over the years as cables went bad and people replaced them, they just put generic cables on that did not have the ground lug to the chassis. Add in a motor swap or 2 and the ground strap gets left off, then you have weird problems and nobody knows why. On every old fox I bought the ground wiring was all hacked up. I spent maybe $50 on cables to fix mine up. Money well spent, and you dont have to worry about it.

Go ahead and get an ignition switch, a headlight switch, and brake light switch. If these arent bad they will be soon!! I used BWD from Oreilly's in my cars. No problems.

Keep us posted on the progress of this cat, and again congrats!!
    Thanks for the advice, though my budget for little things on the car just went out this window this past weekend as for some ridiculous reason I trusted my mother to top up the oil for me and she ended up putting it in the power steering system ( I was helping them move and she felt bad for not being able to help so I found what I thought was an easy job :/ ). $70 later for a flush and lube and I have to wait a little longer to work on more astetics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12