Close

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 1983 GL project

I'm afraid option 2 reminds me too much of Bullitt and/or the ultra super-dooper awesome best-est wheels ever Torque-Thrusts, as well as along with your potential future update reasoning... so I vote #2.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I'm afraid option 2 reminds me too much of Bullitt and/or the ultra super-dooper awesome best-est wheels ever Torque-Thrusts, as well as along with your potential future update reasoning... so I vote #2.
    They actually are OEM Bullitt's. Well, they at least have ford part numbers on them but I haven't bothered to google them yet. Seller said they were Bullitts and he switched his to Torque thrust's.

He had them on a ford ranger and I "rescued" them for 200 bucks.

No curb rash, little "spidering" here and there under chipped clear coat (nothing a little strip and polish won't fix). Silver/argent painted portions are "mint", not a tick of damage.

Tires hold air but that's about it. No big. Either set would require new tires when hitting the road at the end of the project.
    Last edited by great white; 11-15-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Sweet deal
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

FEP Supporter

I'm with WT. #2 is #1 in this case.
    '85 GT

Well Mon or Tues I'm going to order:

Maximum motorsports torque arm kit with adjustable lower arms.
    3/8 wheel spacers
    Bump steer kit and gauge.

I was going to build my own torque arm and panhard bar (I'm more than capable) but I just had a big wad of unexpected cash drop in my lap so buying them instead of building them will leap me forward in my build timeline. Lifetime warranty and being able to tap jack nicely for advise is a big plus. He's already confirmed asome of my choices on the car were good ones.

Since its unexpected money and I don't have any debts, buying the stuff is a "no pain" decision for me.

That ought to put the power down ... better squirrel away a few dollars for rear tires!
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

That ought to put the power down ... better squirrel away a few dollars for rear tires!
    I'm limited to no lower than TW 200 in CAM-T class so that's as good as it gets.

Won't be looking for any "all seasons" though.......

Worst weather this thing will see is maybe rain.
    Last edited by great white; 11-20-2016 at 07:38 PM.

Toying with photoshop and interior colors for the upholstery job:

Still thinking on it.

Dash pad black leather (has to covered anyways, cracked and crumbling like everyone else's of this vintage), seats black and red leather, armrest and door pulls black leather, and door panels black and red leather. I'm thinking black leather shift boot with red stitching.

It's going to take anywhere from 2-4 full upholstery grade hides. That will be a pretty penny.

I think I'm going to go with an 82 black gauge surround to go with the 82 passenger dash insert in the oem red. Like so:

Except I've got an aero nose tri-bar pony emblem on the passenger side where the "GT" would be.
    Last edited by great white; 11-21-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Ok so Im running into an issue maybe you can help me with. I have an 83 mustang L. Im having trouble locating the 84 1/2 GT nose so Im wanting to try splitting an 85 Gt nose and making one. How hard was it for you to do your nose and what would you do differently to make it easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jjltthomas View Post
    Ok so Im running into an issue maybe you can help me with. I have an 83 mustang L. Im having trouble locating the 84 1/2 GT nose so Im wanting to try splitting an 85 Gt nose and making one. How hard was it for you to do your nose and what would you do differently to make it easier?

Too much to write out here. Please start another thread in the body forum.

It's not an easy job and pretty hard to get it to look right. Youre also not going to very popular around here if you chop up an oem 85 gt fascia.

I had no choice as what i want is not offered oem or aftermarket.

In your case, i would just say be patient. Its a rare item you're after, but one will eventually turn up. I'm just might take a long time to find one and its not going to be cheap.

Or, i believe LMR might offer a repop one. Be prepared to pay out the nose for it though.

it might be easier to just build fog light openings in a regular 83/84 fascia. Although you would still have the 83/84 "underbite" looking nose....
    Last edited by great white; 11-21-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Ok thanks. Ive got 5 kids so Patience is something I have a lot of. Lol

Gawd help me but i cant stop thinking about grabbibg that t top off the car in the scrap yard....

Well, there went 2800 bucks!

MM torque arm:

MM Panhard bar:

HD adjustable lower control arms:

Magnaflow stainless cat back exhaust.

Plus a couple odds and ends:

Urethane spring isolators front and rear
    1/4 wheel spacer

A 10% off Black Friday/Cyber Monday coupon made it a little less painful. 130 USD less painful.

That leaves me with a little less than 4 grand in my car fund to finish with tires, paint (and maybe upholstery) and she's ready to go!

Well, after a heck of a lot of wrenchin' that is.....

I wanted to do aluminum heads, but I just couldn't choke down the 2-3 grand CAD prices. With Keeping the E7 heads I give up some power and don't shed the 50 odd pounds off the nose, but it puts me within striking distance (cash flow wise) of actually finishing a running car this winter.

And one heck of a car at that!

I had the Cobra rear bumper cover in my cart, but when I went to check out it said CONUS shipping only.

Last edited by great white; 11-23-2016 at 06:53 PM.

bazinga!

And then along came a sawsall:

The roof was literally the last item of any worth on the shell. Everything else was either gone or uselessly rusted. Someone had even already taken the front "frame" rails. They tried to move it with the fork lift after I pulled the top and it literally folded itself in half. What's left was so crusty that it crumpled under the weight of what was essentially just a firewall.

T-Top glass and whatnot is tucked away in my garage along with the passenger T-Top door. I've got a gent bringing a drivers side T-Top door down from Ontario in Dec and that's the last piece of the puzzle to start the conversion.

As a point of curiosity, I ran the vin for the donor car. We though it was an 82, it's actually an 83 (buck tag confirmed GT). So the dash, tops and various other parts are the proper "date code" parts that could have been on my car, were it's broadcast sheet a little different. Not that it matters, but it's just kinda neat the donor is the same year as the "don-ee".

I ordered all the weatherstripping from LMR yesterday.

I'm batting back and forth if I want to just swap the roof skin or cut the existing. The donor roof is rusted through a the rear quarter joints, but my car is rotted out in the front a pillar joints. What I may do is measure the opening, cut the roof and then use the front portion from the donor on my car. 2 birds with one stone sort of thing: t roof in, rusted front skin out.

Realistically, my car is 90-98% a street car so chopping in a set of t-tops ins't that big of a deal. Full length 2x1.5 1/8 wall full lenght subframe connectors will put the strength back in.

I'm also a product of the 80's and t-tops......well, they scream 80's (and maybe a bit of the bellbottom 70's!).

I'm going to pass on the frilly shirts and big hair though.

Hmmm, I wonder if I still have any leather ties kicking around?

I'll have to blast Van Halen (1984), Scorpions (love at first sting), AC/DC (any of it) and Rush (Moving Pictures and Subdivisions) as I drive around with my leather tie flapping in the breeze and the tops removed!

I can hear "jump", "Big City Nights", "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and "Red Barchetta" playing faintly in the distance already!

Last edited by great white; 11-23-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Awesome score, can't wait to see you start fitting the t-top on your car.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Last edited by Walking-Tall; 11-23-2016 at 08:43 PM.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Never heard of 'em.

Cars in the vid would seem to indicate they're aussie?

Total impulse buy:

100 bucks.

It's for a cougar, but I plan to recover it in leather anyways.

I'll have to relocate my cruise control buttons, probably to the center console area where I plan to mount the power window switches.

Been looking for one of these for a long time and finally scored it today: 1983 OEM hood scoop!

Didn't come cheap, but it didn't break the bank either. Totally worth it to me.

I've been trying to pick one up since the 1980's for this car and it's just never come together. Finally has!

Last edited by great white; 11-25-2016 at 06:06 PM.

I'll have to blast Van Halen (1984), Scorpions (love at first sting), AC/DC (any of it) and Rush (Moving Pictures and Subdivisions) as I drive around with my leather tie flapping in the breeze and the tops removed!

I can hear "jump", "Big City Nights", "Tom Sawyer", "Limelight" and "Red Barchetta" playing faintly in the distance already!

[/QUOTE]

I love it! Back in 86 when I'd go for a road trip Moving Pictures was my 1st cassette in. I have just rebuilt my Super Kicker II speaker I had in my original 86. I called Crutchfield and they put me in touch with Stillwater who told me what to buy, passive radiators, woofers and all, big ass amp and now I'm rockin'!

Quote Originally Posted by great white View Post
    Never heard of 'em.

Cars in the vid would seem to indicate they're aussie?
    You've heard them now, and I think they give anything a run for it's money.

Yes, I think so.
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

You've heard them now, and I think they give anything a run for it's money.

Yes, I think so.
    Sound is OK, a bit dated though.

Turn on your "IMHO" filter here but: if it's going to sound 80's rock, I'd rather just listen to actual 80's rock.

It's an "all been done before" problem, there's not really a way to make a new or stand out sound in that genre.

Wiki says they formed in 2003 in Australia. I think they missed their target audience by about 20-30 years to be a big hit. Even back then it was a lot of similar flash bands like Helix, Ratt, Whitesnake, Twisted Sister, Poison, Quiet Riot, etc...

It's just too hard to make your own mark in that genre now. For example:

Video reminds me a bit of Helix, mainly in the faces the lead singer makes. A little too over the top. That's not really such a good thing.

Googled them and the way they've "logo-ized" their name reminds me too much of a Metallica rip-off.

Couple of their album covers are a bit too reminiscent of some of Iron Maiden's Eddie covers.

And so on.

It's just very hard to do anything original in that genre and you end up sounding and looking like someone else, no matter how hard you try.

The cars were nice (I'm not a fan of four doors like the Aussies are) and the girls were hot though!

Last edited by great white; 11-26-2016 at 07:18 AM.

Pulling the dash and column out in order to start rust repairs.

I suddenly find myself wishing for 5 minutes in a locked room and a baseball bat with the f-tard who designed the attachment method for this thing.

Be no problem on the assembly line when there were no doors or windshield on the thing. Al they would have had to do is angle a few fasteners differently and then everyone from the service dept to shadetree mechanics wouldn't want their blood every time you had to touch the damned dash....
    Last edited by great white; 11-26-2016 at 12:33 PM.

Started cutting and it's not as bad as I though it would be:

The really bad stuff was limited to the floor pan itself. Caught it just in time as it's not into the unibody channels other than a light surface rust here and there. That will clean right up. Then a shot of weld through primer and I'll be off to the races.

Last bit of the rear floor came out this morning.

Cleaned up the rusties and hit it with Tremclad inside the frame rails.

Fitting the replacement pan as we speak.

Then I'll make up a small patch panel where the floor meets the firewall and start burning it all in....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast