Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 GL project

Default 1983 GL project - 3.8 C5 to Carb roller engine and 5 speed!

I've already given a brief run down on the car in "new user introductions", but this will the project posting.

Basically, I've owned the car since 1983 in one form or another.

It was first purchased for my girlfriend (who would become wife #1) from a dealer in the Annapolis valley. It was a GL with 3.8 and the C5. It had a sunroof (OEM), it was red and it was a mustang, which is all the "options" she really wanted. Standard hubcaps and a black lower body band. Only thing power is the brakes and steering.

Someone (I'm guessing the dealer) had slapped a "Cobra" sticker on it before we had seen it in (what I'm guessing was) a marketing ploy, so the wife always thought it was a Cobra. It made her happy to think so, so I never corrected her. Pretty sure she knew it wasn't, but I don't think she cared. Later on, I carried on the Cobra theme with side badges and a 93 hatch badge. Some cobra medallions from the 79-82 era found their way into the interior too.

That 3.8 was/is pretty much gutless and not exactly good on fuel either. But it was/is stone axe reliable and currently has 328,000 kms on it. We both drove it to high school and university, although I drove my Thunderbird most of the time. I toyed on and off with trying to get the 3.8 to make more power (even had a custom intake and a 4BBL at one time), but it was a lost cause and I eventually just left it alone. Stone axe reliable was going to have to be good enough.

When we moved to Sask (I'm military), the car went with us. It survived -40C and +40C, although I was out in the middle of freezing cold in a snowstorm the first year to install a bloody block heater. It also survived a tornado out there!

While out west, the car began to show it's age and I had it painted. Mainly because the A pillars were rotting at the body lead in the upper pillar area, although there were the typical pinch seams at the hatch and rear wheel wells.

It was also about this time the wife moved on to a 92 4 cyl mustang (and I thought the 3.8 was gutless! Sheesh!)

After a decade of that hot/cold crap, we came back east.

Shortly after, wife#1 became the practice wife and I moved out with the mustang in tow. I got the old mustang and my old truck, she got the new car (to go with the new house and my new daughter).

This also explains why I don't have any pictures of the mustang or the repaint prep I did: I got the car but apparently the ex decided she owned all the pictures of our previous life. I do have one pic of it from that time though. This is from about 10-12 years ago after the repaint:

Along the way it picked up an LX rear spoiler, some 10 hole rims and a console.

About this time, wife #2 entered the picture. She doesn't think much of fox mustangs to start with (a car is nothing more than an appliance to her and she doesn't understand liking "quirks") and thought even less of this one given my history with it (ex wife, honeymoon, etc, etc). But she's a good old girl and understands that I like the car for what it is and doesn't give me a hard time about it hanging around or working on it. She knows I'm a tinkerer and I need something to keep me busy/occupied. She's happy I'd rather spend my spare time in the garage than out somewhere else...or drinking...or smoking....or anything else a bit on the side of "negative".

The car's engine bay has held a 302 and a 351 in it's lifetime. But when the 351 decided to blow out a window in the side of the block, I dropped in the old 3.8 that was still hanging around so I could at least move it under it's own power and it was mostly relegated to being a garage ornament.

When the call came to move to BC, we decided to keep our house and I left the Mustang behind in the 4 bay garage. Plan was to move back after a couple years, but we were moved to NL after BC. After 3 years there, it began to look like we were never going back, so we sold the house (two mortgages was dragging us down the hole of financial ruin) and I had the mustang and my 62 TBird towed next door to my neighbor's field.

Sure enough, shortly after we were posted back home and I went to check on my cars:

Yup, still there. Although the Mustang had broken out with cancer in all the same old places again.

Once we were established in the new house, I made plans to get rid of one car and fix the other. I was actually planning to get rid of both. As the TBird needed serious reconstruction/rust repair, I sold it off for peanuts. I almost gave the mustang away to friend of mine who had a 351 sitting on a stand. I was pretty much at a "just get rid of it" stage as I'm getting older, close to retirement and we're starting into that downsizing phase.

But after a couple weeks of my bud putting off picking the car up, I changed my mind and decided to just keep it. I fought with it to get it running to drive it home, but I couldn't get fuel from the tank (lines were frozen or collapsed and the fuel pump diaphragm must have been gone as it wouldn't even suck from a gas filled bottle 3 inches away). I fought with it for a few hours in the field, but when ice cold rain started to fall I said "puck it" and called for a jerr-dan to haul it home.

70 bucks later it was sitting in the driveway:

And that's pretty much how it sits today.

My buddy I almost gave it to dropped by to see it later that day and kicked himself all the way to his car for not grabbing it when I offered it to him. He couldn't believe it still had original floors and solid everywhere else except the rusty roof A pillars. He could have taken it right up to when it was dropped in my driveway. But once it's on my pavement; it's mine bubba!

I have several motorcycle projects on the go (VMax powered Yamaha venture and an FJ12000) so the Mustang is going to be a very slow project, picking up parts and pieces as budget and good deal allow.

All my parts leeched away over the years, so it's back to square one. in that dept. So far I've collected a V8 throttle cable assembly, a Holley 4 BBL and I just picked up an 85 front fascia (40 bucks for an 85, an 87-93 front and two 87-93 rear bumpers).

I now it's not going to be a popular choice here, but I have a preference for the looks of the 85/86 over the 83/84 nose. Meh. My car, my choice. Fox mustangs are just good little builder cars to me, not a holy grail. Not even particularly collectible either. At least not to me.

The moldings are also in bad shape on my 83. Not just curled, but torn and split. I may just use 85 rub strips (with the 85 nose) to the front of the front wheel well and the later style with a later model rear bumper. The wheel well may make a good enough break for the molding differences, but I' still undecided on that one. Repop 85/86 side moldings are available, but they come a little dear in price and I don't want that "GT" rear molding since mine is not a GT.

Anyways, that's where it sits and maybe where it is going.

Last edited by great white; 04-09-2016 at 05:41 PM.

Is the throttle cable purple, or gold/yellow? Purple is what you want for the 4V.

I don't know what the difference is, but when I put a 4V on my old '82, the original cable eventually broke.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Came from an 85 gt is all I can tell ya. Got it from 11secgt here on the board....
    Last edited by great white; 04-03-2016 at 03:36 PM.

That should be what you need. If you look closely at it, you should see some purple paint on it.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

well, found an 89 roller block, complete from intake to oil pan.

300 Bucks.

Gent says it ran well before he pulled it out of his 89 for a crate engine.

Complete for 300 bucks it's worth it if it's nothing more than a good rebuild-able core.

I pick it up Saturday morning.

Great score!
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Just grabbed an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake for 150 bucks.

All I need now i an 85 HO T5 dizzy and it's at least a runner.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    That should be what you need. If you look closely at it, you should see some purple paint on it.
    took a while and a 10x maginfier, but there is indeed a VERY thin hint of purple paint on the barrel.....

Thought I'd share what i'm going to (mostly) build:

that's from waaaay back in 1988. I've held on to the article ever since and told myself one day I would build it.

My 302 will be close, probably loose the NOS and make use of more modern heads.

I'll be using a different frame stiffening method and my car is obviously an 82, but the theme will be similar.

the 89 engine was a lot more complete than i thought it would be:

only things missing are the dizzy (no good to me anyways) the throttle body (no good to me) oil dipstick tube, flywheel and exhaust manifolds.Would have liked to have the dipstick tube, flywheel and manifolds, but for 300 bucks Im not complaining!

I sold an 87-93 lx nose while I was on thetrip for 30 bucks, so my fuel was mostly paid for and that lx nose is out of my space and on to help someone out.

Also picked up my 150 dollar edelbrock rpm air gap manifold while i was out:

thats gonna look some good on that roller block!

Now to hunt up some long or short tubeheaders and a T5. the pedal conversion stuff will be on its waysoon (buying from a forum member). I kinda wanted to stay auto, but a standard just lets me do away with having to put too much extr work into matching stall speeds to cams to gears, etc, etc. I plan to roadrace it a little bit for funand a T5 will be better for that too.

Durapspark dizzy is just up the road at a jobber, who has them in stock.

coming together much faster than I expected. gonna have to slow down,cash is going out waaaay too quick.....
    Last edited by great white; 04-09-2016 at 03:50 PM.

You might be better off to get a known-to-be unrebuilt Duraspark dizzy for a '79-'84 302/5.0, and then change the gear for the roller-compatable one - although that is kind of a job from what I've read... It's just that the parts store ignition stuff can be hit or miss. Definitely make sure it has the steel(?) gear on it. If you go to a good location with a good parts guy, he can show you one with a brass(?) gear, for comparison's sake.

That's a heck of a deal on that engine! It looks clean and consistent with the stated mileage, and the metal tensioner pulley is still there. I paid $400 for my engine, and it had no accessories and was missing the main engine harness. (Didn't need 'em.) That engine should run nicely with that carb and intake and the E7s. It will really run good if you throw some GT40Ps on there to take fuller advantage of your induction system.
    Man, if they're putting that donor car back together with a 5.0, they're going to be chasing down a lot of odds and ends.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    You might be better off to get a known-to-be unrebuilt Duraspark dizzy for a '79-'84 302/5.0, and then change the gear for the roller-compatable one - although that is kind of a job from what I've read... It's just that the parts store ignition stuff can be hit or miss. Definitely make sure it has the steel(?) gear on it. If you go to a good location with a good parts guy, he can show you one with a brass(?) gear, for comparison's sake.

That's a heck of a deal on that engine! It looks clean and consistent with the stated mileage, and the metal tensioner pulley is still there. I paid $400 for my engine, and it had no accessories and was missing the main engine harness. (Didn't need 'em.) That engine should run nicely with that carb and intake and the E7s. It will really run good if you throw some GT40Ps on there to take fuller advantage of your induction system.
    Man, if they're putting that donor car back together with a 5.0, they're going to be chasing down a lot of odds and ends.
    I've been reading the oil pump shaft changed diameter when they went to tfi module distributors, but am still researching. That's why I'm thinking to just grab a rebuilt from Napa. I'll give it a good going over before using it and I've got an adjustable vacuum advance pot and several spring kits to choose from. Fox stuff has become super rare around these parts. Was a time when the scrap yards were overflowing with them. Now you have to know amguy who knows a guy who knows someone with a couple partsmin his basement he's been hanging on to for years. Just crazy! Finding a used duraspark dizzy is next to impossible it seems, so jobbers it will likely have to be. No big, I can deal with that.

The engine came out of a notch the guy back halved. It is a dedicated drag car and he had a 347 in it that he had already built and ready to go. That's why he just yanked the original 5.0, accessories and all. He was holding on to the engine as he was thinking to build another 347, so he had oiled the cylinders and whatnot before storing it in his shed. Times change and he just wanted it gone.

He had a couple foxes and had a lot of money in them. He had an 87 GT that had more go fast goodies under the hood than imcan list. AFR heads, supercharger, etc. And clean, clean, clean!

The 89 LX was originally an Alberta car that was a stolen recovery. Rust free was the word. Gent said when he chopped the rear his buddies were circling to just get the sheet metal he chopped out!

Either way, good grab for me. I'm going to try and resell the FI stuff. Even if I only get a couple bucks that's good enough for me.

It will eventually get some AL heads for perf and to drop some weight off the nose, just haven't decided what. The E7s will do for now. I have to save the bucks to hunt down enough stuff for a 5 speed conversion.
    Last edited by great white; 04-10-2016 at 04:06 AM.

Started pulling the roller block apart and couldnt resist dropping the edelbrock on the valley for a quick look:

Mmmmmmm yeah! That looks soooo right!

Much Better than the fuel injection stuff.

I can hear ACDCplayiing in the background already......

Soooo, the T5 swap is going to be a bit of a "franken-swap".

Inside is pure fox, a friend of mine gave me a clutch pedal assembly for a case of beer.

The transmission is a T5 from a 95 SN95 3.8 V6.

Now this is where it gets a little "franken".

The transmission is coming with the 3.8 bellhousing and yup, it's the 5/8" odd longer one than the fox T5. It also means a 164 tooth flywheel.

Well the 89 302 came without a flywheel, so I'll have to buy one either way.

Since fox parts are super rare around here (gotta know someone who's got a stash somewhere) and shipping stuff like bellhousings and such is super expensive (not to mention exchange rates if ordering out of the states), I'm going to make do with the 3.8 housing.

Bolts up to the 302, no worries there.

EBay turns up a cheap cheap cheap 3.8 engine/trans spacer plate for a T5 so I grab it.

Now I need a 164 tooth flywheel with the 50 oz balance weighting. A dig around google turns up several sources and then comparison of specs leads me to order one from an 89 f-150 5.0 5 speed truck. Same year as my 302 so it will bolt to the crank, 164 tooth gear, and it is the 50 oz balance weight.

It also uses an 11" clutch disc instead of the fox 10.5 inch. I'll order that later on, but the 89 f-150 has the same 10 spline and clutch spring fingers, so I should be good there.

The shifter will set back in the car about 1/2-5/8", but that's no big deal. My reach is a little short so a shifter a little closer is no big deal. A little sheet metal trimming will handle any other problems. I'm redoing all the upholstery so making it neat will just be a part of that.

So that's the meat of the swap sorted out. I'll still need to get things like pilot bearings, bolts, etc, possibly a starter (as 3.8 one should sort that out if needed) and maybe deal with the drive shaft lenght, but that's all just part of the game.

It also sets me up to swap in a 99+ 3.8 t5 with the 300 ft/lb rating and I won't have to pay the premium everybody seems to want for a "V8 T5". 265 will do just fine for now thank-you-very-much.

All said an done, the T% swap should only cost me just a bit over 200 bucks (little more if you count the case of beer, of which I'll probably end up drinking a couple!) if I don't have to chop the driveshaft.

It's gelling fast. Once I start wrenching on the car it should go pretty quick, as far as an engine/trans changes goes that is....
    Last edited by great white; 04-10-2016 at 07:38 PM.

So I wanted to get rid of both the air pump and the AC compressor on the 89. Useless in the 83.

Oh, they offer an AC delete kit that relocates the PS pump? I'll order one up, how much will that be?

WHAT?!?! 120 bucks shipped?!?!?

No way bro! I paid less for my T5!

So a little wrenching, fitting and friggin around gets me to where I want to be without spending a dime:

I have a little work to do on the mill with a couple brackets, a touch of shaving on the big main bracket, relocate one bolt hole for the pump to bracket mount and then rework the big steel front bracket to support the bottom of the big pump bracket.

But that's just time, not money. Time I have lots of.

The good thing is that once I'm done, all the spacers will be the oem ones and so will the brackets. That means the pulleys will still be in line for proper belt running.

Hmmm, I'm beginning to think I might have to name this "project: cheap thrills"...... I don't even have a grand into it yet and I'm up to the engine and transmission almost together!

Last edited by great white; 04-11-2016 at 07:23 PM.

well, I've got everything I need to drop the 302 and T5 in the car. Clutch and pressure plate were the last pieces. Came as a kit with pilot bearing, throwout bearing and an alignment tool

All I'm missing is the 1985 5.0 HO duraspark distributor.

I found rock auto can bring it in cheaper than the local Napa by about 70-85 bucks CAD.

I ordered my clutch through rockauto as they stated there were supposed to be no additional charges (IE: taxes, duties, brokerage, etc). If the clutch gets here extra charge free, I'll probably order the distr from them also. 170 bucks plus tax from Napa, 70 bucks plus 16 bucks shipping (+HST) from RA.

Some of my boys are going on "HP this" and "brand name that" and that I'm wasting money on some generic parts. But right now I just want it together and running. The expensive "farkles" will come later down the road once it's a runner and I can at least have a little fun with it before I get too much money sunk into it.

Looked a little closer at the floors today. I though the drivers side was just surface rust, but it's gone. Look right through the floor gone. Apparently there is a leak somewhere (I'm hoping no the cowl plenum) that has kept the carpet soaked these last two years outside. I'm sort of hoping it was the pile of wet tree junk I pulled out of the plenum around the air bell letting water wick up and drip in.

I despise rust repair, but at least it's just the floor. It's not into the inner rocker or the door pillar. I'm not driving this year anyways, so I'll just cut the cancerous parts out, give them a coat of paint to stop further rust and deal with the floor hole later down the road. I'll have to make sure I find where the water is getting in and at least plug it up somehow.
    Last edited by great white; 04-16-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Nice progress
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Look what followed me home today:

Not bad for only 100 bucks and a drive to Moncton with the missus.

Looks like an SN-95 bell. Not sure about the shifter, but it's missing the rubber cover/boot. No neutral switch on the transmission either. The year should be cast into the passenger side of the main case, within inches of the fill plug. Early non world class and shifter?

$100 ain't bad at all, if the trans is good.

Shifts through gears normally and rolls over with no strange noises.

Neutral signal I'm just going to pick up off the clutch switch.

Came from a 95 mustang, v6.

Shifter is kinda janked up, replacing it with something that has adjustable stops anyways...
    Last edited by great white; 04-17-2016 at 01:43 PM.

Bonus
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Picked up a used engine stand for 30 bucks:

Theres just something soooooo right about an engine on a stand in the garage. Just feels right.

Last edited by great white; 04-20-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Weel, I've hit the nickle and dime phase.

I just sourced the ARP bolts for the flywheel and the pressure plate and spent almost as much as I did for the T5 (have to pay shipping costs to Canada and exchange, sourcing them locally means paying even more than bringing them out of the states).

But now I have enough to bolt it together and get it into the car.

It will be open exhaust after the H pipe and I'll still need a fuel pump and bend up some lines, but it will be (for the most part) together.

That's an important thing as you never know when they are going to move you in the military. All my cars have to at least be able to power themselves on to a car carrier or they don't move them....

So I've got hte parts list sorted out for the T5 swap:

1995 Mustang 3.8 T5 transmission, complete ($100, local purchase)
    1989 F150 5.0 5 speed flywheel, 164 tooth, new (80 bucks, eBay)
    1989 F150 5.0 5 Speed clutch and pressure plate kit, new (130 bucks, rockauto)
    1995 Mustang 3.8 T5 clutch release bearing, new (25 bucks, rockauto) - because the one in the F150 kit is hydraulic, not cable.
    1985 Mustang Clutch pedal and quadrant with switches - used (100 bucks, ebay)
    Clutch cable, Ford Racing, Teflon lined, new (25 bucks, ebay)
    ARP flywheel bolts, new (15 bucks, ebay)
    ARP Pressure plate bolts,new (20 bucks, ebay)

Had to chuck in a replacement mini-starter too. That also came from rockauto and was around 40 bucks IIRC.

So that's all in for about 350 bucks.

Not bad for a C5 auto to WC T5 transmission. Plus, I get the 11" clutch to boot!

I've also discovered that rockauto shipments are probably the cheapest shipping I've ever found out of the States, has no "brokerage" fees and is about the fastest shipping I've had yet (outside of paying for overnight foolishness).

I'm never buying another part from a Canadian distributor ever again! Half the price at least on most parts (brand names instead of the generic crap they try to flog off on you here at twice the price) and delivery to my door. I just have to wait a couple days.

I'm all for supporting Canadian business, but when it's obvious they are adding a mark up what you would pay retail for brand names in the states, adding exchange and still sticking you for the shipping and still selling you the cheaper generic parts instead of the brand names, they can go to hell. That's just a cash grab and sticking it to the consumer.

Rockauto for me from now on!
    Last edited by great white; 04-22-2016 at 03:33 PM.

The only down side I've found with Rock is if the parts you order come from different parts of the country, you can get multiple shipping charges. Other than that
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast