Close

FEP User

Default Cobra R wheel fitment

Hello! I have an opportunity to buy some aftermarket Cobra R wheels really cheap. I was wondering if I would have any figment issues on my stock 1979 pace car. They are 17-8 with 245/45-17 wheels. I have read that I might need wheel spacers for them to fit. Is this true? And if so will they effect how it drives at all? Any info helps!
    Last edited by Leroy Jensen; 04-02-2016 at 10:13 PM.

They'll fit without spacers. Providing they have the factory type backspacing. I run factory 99 Cobra's with 245/45R17's without spacers.

FEP User

They are 4 lug replica cobra r's I'm using the stock 4 lug spindles that came on the pace car.

Most likely you will need a 1/4" spacer for your Pace Car. All of the aftermarket wheels (except maybe the new TRX wheels) use an offset for the 87-93 V8 cars which use different spindles. So when using these wheels on the early cars 79-86 and the 87-93 4 cyl cars most require a spacer to clear the strut housings.

Although I have Cobra R's on my PC and I like the look, if I was still 4 lug and looking for new wheels I would seriously consider the new TRX replica wheels by LMR. They look correct for you car while giving you the ability to use more common and cheaper 16" tires. https://lmr.com/products/mustang-trx-wheels

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP User

Thanks for the information trey. I probably wouldn't even consider these wheels but I can buy them VERY cheap. And I'm kind of on a budget. Thanks for the help though!

I have them on my 84 with that size tire. I'm not sure if there's a difference between 79/84 spindles, but I only get slight rubbing at full lock when parking. The rears fit fine, but if you have lowering springs, you might have to roll the fender so you don't rub when bottoming out. But even that is minimal on my car
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

79-86 spindles are all the same. Unfortunately due to the tolerances by Ford every Mustang/Capri is unique in that what fits without issue on one will require a spacer on another. Once you start modifying the cars then all bets are off and it gets hard to say what will and will not fit without issues. I personally run 17X9 Cobra R's on my 7 PC both front and rear without any issues. But my suspension is far from stock thanks to 03/04 Cobra spindles, brakes, and IRS out back.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP User

Thanks guys I'm getting them this Thursday and I'll see how they fit before ordering spacers. Thanks for all the help!