Close

Default 3.8 performance parts without swapping to V8

Hey guys so I'm looking for a little more kick out of my car and I thought about swapping it but just don't have the time right now so I'm wandering are there any parts to give it some more kick? Also what can be done for the exhaust I hate the stock sound and it's really tight under there.

A supercoupe supercharger set-up would give you a good boost in power with OEM level of reliability.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

The standard 3.8 can't take boost. You will need the whole SuperCoupe motor. Almost every part in the SuperCoupe motor is different than the standard 3.8

What year is your car and 3.8 motor?

IS it carb or EFI?

My car is a 1984 with throttle body. I'm looking for something with an okay boost but not something crazy for about $300. For more than that i'd just swap it.

Get a full dual exhaust made at the muffler shop

I tried getting a quote from quite a few local muffler shops but all of them wanted at least $600 with cheap pipe so I think i'm kind of stuck.

Change your gear ratio
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Basically, making the most of what's there is the low/no bucks way. Ensuring there's no codes, making the fuel pressure regulator (40psi) and the TPS (1.0 volt at idle) adjustable, verifying the throttle body butterflies open to 90-degrees at WOT, and setting the initial timing at 10-degrees BTDC (or more, depending on pinging). (Big... 1.21+ motorcraft, or Holley 350 or (better yet) 500cfm) 2-barrel carburetor, Duraspark distributor where you can specify the spark curve, uncorked exhaust, and more rear end gear, are avenues you can think about as to making changes for the better. These are things I'm working at with my '86...
    Last edited by Walking-Tall; 04-02-2016 at 05:09 PM.
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Hey, haven't logged in here for a while and this topic always peaks my interest.

Simplest, Cheapest, Options:

1)Exhaust: 94-98 3.8L V6 exhaust works for your car. Just gotta plug some O2 sensors and get a new transmission double bump crossmember if you go true dual.
    Otherwise 5.0L Xpipe back exhaust systems will work with modification. THese you can get rather cheaply, especially used, and all you need is stock 94-98 headers and BAM. better sound.
    This option is around 500$.

2) Roller rockers: Im in the process of getting 1.8:1 roller rockers for my car and its costing ~500$. its acts like a lumpy cam essentially, but is an easier bolt on.

3) Rear gears: ~200$ for better off the line kick. BUT, you need to drop the diff and will probably end up rebuilding it, and you only have a 7.5, so consider
    switching to 8.8… this is an option but you'd want to consider how far you want to go with the car in general.

All in all, the members all have good ideas, but id say just get the exhaust. THe sound is half the enjoyment, and frankly the most noticeable improvement.

-Steve

I've been down this road with my own 83 3.8. Honestly, you're wasting your time if you're expecting any significant HP out of it or you're going to have to spend a lot of money.

I went pretty much the "full morana" on it back in the day and I still ended up yanking it for a 302. Then a 351. And when the 351 blew the 3.8 went back in.

Here is where the 3.8 makes it's bones: it's about as reliable as a stone axe....and just about as exciting.

It's reliable daily driver, that's about it.

Mine has over 300,000 kms on it and still runs great.

But it's coming out again and a 302 is going back in. I feel kinda bad about pulling an old faithful friend, but it's just soooo bloody booooooring!

Keep it in good tune, drop in a better exhaust if its rotted out. Do the "no cost things" like bumping up the initial timing.

Boost is just going to pop the already suspect head gaskets. just not made for boost.

About the only way to get any "excitement" out of it is to put a 5 speed behind it then you can wring it's scrawny little neck when you need to.

Otherwise, it's just a good old lump that will push that little body around, but not much more.

If had to do over again, I wouldn't have wasted my time on the 3.8. I would have just kept it healthy and saved my money for something else to drop in that engine bay.

You might even be more limited with CPI, mine was carb so at least I could swap those around. I even had a 4 BBL on it with a morana intake at one time. Boooooooring! little better than stock, but no great shakes. That was with a dual exhaust. I stopped short of a cam, decided no tot waste my money further when it wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be.

Save you dough until you can swap in a 302. Best smile per dollar value you're going to get. A "built" 3.8 will just disappoint you.

Last edited by great white; 04-08-2016 at 04:26 PM.