Close

Default 1984 3.8 CFI Intake Issues?

3.8 V6 runs great, idles fine, goes good up and down the road until it gets hot...won't idle right. Mechanic is great at diagnosing problems but has come to a dead end. No vacuum leaks. TPS replaced...essentially everything else I have read about online has been done. The computer has been replaced.The issue still persists. Wondering now if there is a crack in the intake manifold that opens up when its gets hot? Fuel pressure is right. Anybody seen this before? It's really amazing how good this thing runs except for the idle. Help me!

No trouble codes? Idles high/low/erratic, stalls? Hesitation upon acceleration? There's a handful of sensors that could be out of whack... oxygen sensors, coolant temperature sensor, MAP sensor, and EGR position sensor and valve. Verifying that the idle speed control is adjusted right could help too...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

If you are still having these issues, I found the answer in another post:

"He diagnosed and replaced parts until he finally just had to quit for awhile. He is not a mechanic that just changes parts and he is great at diagnosing issues that are hard to figure out. I have been researching the net relentlessly and ran up on an old Ford repair bulletin from days gone by. It described my problem (occuring only after the engine was hot) to a tee. It stated the culprit was likely the spacer under the throttle body. When the original spacer gets hot it shrinks causing a vacuum leak that causes all the idling issues. It specifically said to remove the stock spacer, part # E4AE-9C477-BA and replace it with a new fix, part # E6SZ-9C477-A. I ordered the new part off Ebay for less than $15 and installed it as soon as I got it...all the idling issues are solved. "

Worked for mine and I was having the same issues you were!