Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Agreeing with everyone that the mod looks fantastic!

You have the dimensions and the tools, you could pump out a few extra now!
    I wouldn't mind doing this for anyone. But what would be a fair price?
    The advantages I could offer is complete custom choice of wood or maybe other materials. The spokes can be done differently too. Painted in custom colors or what ever.
    I would even try other steering wheels...old stock or even aftermarket.
    It really would be time and materials for something like this.

Thank you everyone for the great feed back.
    Of your interested and seriously would like me to do wheel for you I would be willing to do it. Hard to put a price on unlimited options.

That's some pretty impressive DIY wood work!

It should look cool in your Fairmont.

That's neat
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    That's some pretty impressive DIY wood work!

It should look cool in your Fairmont.

Thanks.....haha you have a picture of my car! It's changed since that picture.

Name:  20160320_144055.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.2 KB

So I just went to put the custom wheel in....
    Who would have thought Ford changed the column!
    The custom wheel I did has splines. The old one stock for my car is round with flat sides.
    Name:  20160320_143341.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  128.5 KB

And the sport custom I did....

Name:  20160320_143352.jpg
Size:  165.4 KB

I guess I'm shoping for a new column. It's all right since I no longer have the shifter on the column. Now I can find one with out the shifter.
    Any one have one?

Tough break. Sounds like you You need a non tilt wheel column from any fox body car 1978-82 for that splined wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Stymees'mont View Post
    Thanks.....haha you have a picture of my car! It's changed since that picture.

Name:  20160320_144055.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  129.2 KB
    Oh no! Your car turned sideways?!

Bummer about the column, but you have to admit, having an '83 had a LOT more advantages than disadvantages! Transmission crossmember for example... k-member mounts...

Pace, why non-tilt?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

He'll yea I would like tilt!
    This sucks but I will get one and get this steering wheel in.
    I can't complain....my car is like new inside and out.

Sure...but it would be cheaper to buy an aftermarket steering wheel. Crazy how much time flies and how much wood is needed.
    I completely understand and I was messing with you more than anything. I have my pair of wheels that I have considered refinishing and rewrapping the leather, but as you stated the material costs and then the time investment just doesn't make it worth it unless you are keeping it for yourself. Since I don't plan on that . . .

If you need a splined tilt column, I should have the one in my 82 GT that will be swapped for the D shaft so I can install my SVO style sport steering wheel in it. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I completely understand and I was messing with you more than anything. I have my pair of wheels that I have considered refinishing and rewrapping the leather, but as you stated the material costs and then the time investment just doesn't make it worth it unless you are keeping it for yourself. Since I don't plan on that . . .

If you need a splined tilt column, I should have the one in my 82 GT that will be swapped for the D shaft so I can install my SVO style sport steering wheel in it. Send me a PM when you have a chance.

Trey

Thanks. I sent a PM.
    I know your pulling my leg on doing more of these for other guys. I wouldn't mind it but I also have no problem offering help and info on how I did it.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

That's damn impressive! Had you ever done this before, or was this all a learning experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    That's damn impressive! Had you ever done this before, or was this all a learning experience?
    Thank you! This is first steering wheel and it was all guessing. So yes a definite a learning experience.
    I have basic tools that I used, table saw,jig saw,router with 1/2" round over and 1/2" round fluting bits (which I had to make a router table to use),drills,sanding drums, DA sander, sand paper, chisel, file, wood rasp, hole saw, and a bench top surface planer(you can find a shop or the wood supplier could machine the thickness for you)
    But I should mention I also have more then 20 years of carpentry/ wood working experience. Tho this project was not too difficult. The hard parts were fitting the wood to the steel wheel and figuring out what the next step will be after the last.
    If any one wants to try this...I would be happy to share info. I took pictures of every step along the way and would be happy to share. I edited them for this web site as it would take a lot time and pages.

That is extremely impressive.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Something else I have been working on

Name:  Dash-kit-samples-web01.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  184.9 KB

Name:  Dash-kit-samples-web02.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  151.4 KB

Name:  Dash-kit-samples-web04.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  175.1 KBName:  Dash-kit-samples-web05.jpg
Size:  182.8 KBName:  Dash-kit-samples-web06.jpg
Size:  166.8 KB

Again all done by hand and endless choices of colors and patterns. I can add holes for gauges or cover unwanted openings....total custom.

The steering wheel came out awesome!! Great work!!

The gauge cluster overlays look cool as well. What material are you making them out of? Looks like a great way to mix up the interior a bit.

WOW! You do awesome work!
    Mike
    Last edited by JKengineering; 03-23-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    85 GT - owned since 87

Saw your rebuild on FB, can't like it enough . Excellent workmanship!
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Thanks guys I appreciate the complements.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Thank you! This is first steering wheel and it was all guessing. So yes a definite a learning experience.
    I have basic tools that I used, table saw,jig saw,router with 1/2" round over and 1/2" round fluting bits (which I had to make a router table to use),drills,sanding drums, DA sander, sand paper, chisel, file, wood rasp, hole saw, and a bench top surface planer(you can find a shop or the wood supplier could machine the thickness for you)
    But I should mention I also have more then 20 years of carpentry/ wood working experience. Tho this project was not too difficult. The hard parts were fitting the wood to the steel wheel and figuring out what the next step will be after the last.
    I figured you had plenty of wood working experience, as it was clear you knew your way around the wood shop. Very cool to be able to take all those years of experience and apply them to something new.

I have zero wood working knowledge, but one of the guys I work with is big into it - I showed him the thread figuring he'd get a kick out of it. He was suitably impressed, and asked if the sections of wood were doweled together at this stage:
    Cut and glue some African Mahogany

Attachment 97856

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I figured you had plenty of wood working experience, as it was clear you knew your way around the wood shop. Very cool to be able to take all those years of experience and apply them to something new.

I have zero wood working knowledge, but one of the guys I work with is big into it - I showed him the thread figuring he'd get a kick out of it. He was suitably impressed, and asked if the sections of wood were doweled together at this stage:
    Thank you.
    No dowels...the wood is 1/2" thick for a standard 1" thick grip. Tho glue is key....epoxy glue would great but I used a polyurethane glue. If you use dowels they will show as you start machining the grip. I also glued the grip to the steel for more strength.
    Feel free to ask more questions. I am happy to share.

So I just went to put the custom wheel in....
    Who would have thought Ford changed the column!
    The custom wheel I did has splines. The old one stock for my car is round with flat sides.
    Name:  20160320_143341.jpg
Size:  128.5 KB

And the sport custom I did....

Name:  20160320_143352.jpg
Size:  165.4 KB

I guess I'm shoping for a new column. It's all right since I no longer have the shifter on the column. Now I can find one with out the shifter.
    Any one have one?
    You don't need a new column you just need the shaft from the upper part. I have a friend that has Fairmonts and all

he did was take the two screw out of the top part of the column and slide out the upper part to put tilt upper sections

back in. The lower tube that goes thur the firewall is the same inside. Just the upper shaft changed from spline to the

flats with the bolt like your. I just bought a tilt column last week and I am going to do mine just like my friend did his.

As soon as the sport steering wheel I bought on eBay shows up I plan to make the switch. So I should have the shaft

you need in a week or so, but you probably need a entire earlier column anyway so you can have the horn button on

stalk since that wheel has no prevision for a horn button like you later column does.

Tom
    Last edited by PROSTOCKTOM; 03-23-2016 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks Tom.
    I was thinking the samething. I hate to loose my perfect column It's in too good of shape.

That steering wheel came out awesome! Nice job.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by PROSTOCKTOM View Post
    You don't need a new column you just need the shaft from the upper part. I have a friend that has Fairmonts and all

he did was take the two screw out of the top part of the column and slide out the upper part to put tilt upper sections

back in. The lower tube that goes thur the firewall is the same inside. Just the upper shaft changed from spline to the

flats with the bolt like your. I just bought a tilt column last week and I am going to do mine just like my friend did his.

As soon as the sport steering wheel I bought on eBay shows up I plan to make the switch. So I should have the shaft

you need in a week or so, but you probably need a entire earlier column anyway so you can have the horn button on

stalk since that wheel has no prevision for a horn button like you later column does.

Tom
    FEP rocks. That's a good solution.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast