Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by bluemax View Post
    I use the same products that David used. The Gray Zinc and Black Manganese phosphate solutions are from Palmetto Enterprises. The products come with detailed instructions, very simple to do. I find it easier to use the phosphate and oil on the hardware; 1) you don't have to worry about removing any paint on the threads when you run the bolt through the nut or from using a wrench, and 2) it is just like it came from the factory. I would post a link to their website, but it is blocked by my Corporate security guys.

All of that was removed (the plastic fender liners had been cleaned up years ago), areas fixed where required, and resprayed body color.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for.clarifying the product you are using for the phosphate and oil. I need to see if it is available in Canada. I painted or cleaned and cleared some bolts before but want to try this stuff!

You answered my question about under the wheel wells. I was wondering if you had repainted any of it in the process before reassembly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    Great work Matt. And great pics with lots of detail and good explanations. It is fun to learn new techniques. The quality of your work is simply outstanding. You need to re-post your rear suspension results to illustrate how terrifically it also turned out.

Looking forward to seeing you and your car at St. Augustine in a few weeks.
    Thank you for the kind words... trying to get my car up to your level!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

The original splash shield to spindle gasket is obsolete (like so many parts for these cars) so I had to create my own. I was able to salvage one of the originals during the disassembly and use it as the template. I measured roughly 0.050mm inner dia. and 0.085mm outer diameter. The parts manual lists it as 2" ID 3 1/2" OD.

Name:  original splash shield gasket.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  119.3 KB

The gasket is made of some type of white foam. I purchased a couple different types from MSC and after cutting them out decided on polypropylene vs. silicone due to the foam density and texture. I basically used a compass and very small scissors to cut them out as the gasket cutter we use at work couldn't cut them cleanly.

Name:  RH splash shield gasket.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  67.4 KB

The splash shield is one of the few suspension parts that is actually painted. I was not able to salvage the originals due to the rust pitting the surface so it was back to my parts bin for a mint set that I bead blasted, epoxy primed, and painted with Eastwoods Underhood Black. The attaching bolts were restored with manganese phosphate and oil.

Name:  RH splash shield installed.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  90.9 KB

The rotors are NOS (service replacement) pieces that I bead blasted, epoxy primed, and painted with Eastwoods Brake Gray. I know the original finish on the rear rotors has a slight "yellow gold" finish for corrosion protection, I do not have any pictures of original, low mileage front rotors. One could assume that the original finish would be similar and I am still trying to figure out how to duplicate that.

The "grease" cap is still available NOS and looks much better than the typical bent ones from improper installation. For those interested in this extra detail, the part number is B5A-1131-A.

Name:  RH rotor installed.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  64.1 KB
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Outstanding update....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Outstanding update....
    I agree. All of these kinds of threads from roush235, bluemax 79mustangcobra and others are bookmarked for future reference!

The original splash shield to spindle gasket is obsolete (like so many parts for these cars) so I had to create my own.

The gasket is made of some type of white foam. I purchased a couple different types from MSC and after cutting them out decided on polypropylene vs. silicone due to the foam density and texture. I basically used a compass and very small scissors to cut them out as the gasket cutter we use at work couldn't cut them cleanly.

Name:  original splash shield gasket.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  119.3 KB
    Name:  RH splash shield gasket.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  67.4 KB
    It's looking fantastic! Good to know about the dust sheilds being painted

I had to do the same for myself on a project for the gasket. I ended up using a ~1/4" thick closed cell foam myself but what else can you do?

Name:  IMG_7944.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  153.3 KB

Outstanding update....
    +1 Looks great!

Finishing up the front brakes, the original factory calipers had a gold finish similar to the rotors for corrosion protection. I have not figured out how to duplicate this yet, so I epoxy primed and painted mine Eastwood Brake Gray. I am saving my NOS pieces for a future project.

Here is a picture of an NOS caliper.

Name:  NOS caliper.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  113.7 KB

Note the original phenolic pistons. Most SVO owners opt to use stainless steel pistons due to the phenolic pistons "sticking" in the bores.

Name:  NOS caliper 2.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  127.8 KB

I used NOS caliper pins and bleeder screws. The NOS pins are on the right, the NOS bleeder screw is on the left. I included aftermarket pieces for comparison. The caliper pins have unique markings on the bolt heads. Interesting that I have two different versions of the markings, same part number, just slightly different markings.

Name:  brake caliper pins.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  108.8 KBName:  brake caliper bleeder screw.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  87.8 KB

Added a set of NOS brake pads and viola...

Name:  RH caliper installed 3.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  84.4 KB
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Thanks for the info. I'll say it again, looks great!

Very cool. Question - can you take a close up pic of the pin where the go through the brake pads?

My calipers / pads rattle every time I hit a bump. Been driving me crazy ever since I bought my SVO many moons ago.

I'm wondering if either my pins are worn or if the holes in the brake pad are just too large....

Thanks - JT
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Very cool. Question - can you take a close up pic of the pin where the go through the brake pads?

My calipers / pads rattle every time I hit a bump. Been driving me crazy ever since I bought my SVO many moons ago.

I'm wondering if either my pins are worn or if the holes in the brake pad are just too large....

Thanks - JT
    Here are a few pics... I assume you have the caliper pin sleeves installed. Do you have the "anti-rattle" clips installed on the top mounting pin? The part number is E4LY-2B164-B.

The first picture is of the top pin with the clip installed.

Name:  RH caliper top 2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  107.7 KB

This picture is of the backside of the caliper showing the bottom pin.

Name:  RH caliper bottom.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  115.3 KB

Hope that helps.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Here is a picture of the front that shows the clip installed.

If you look closely, you can see the two different mounting pin bolt head markings. One of those little details that no one will ever see...

Name:  RH caliper installed.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  91.0 KB
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Looks great! Awesome job!

Will you still drive it or is it a show car now?

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Looks great! Awesome job!

Will you still drive it or is it a show car now?
    I still drive it occasionally around town and to local shows. Unfortunately, this project has taken MUCH longer than I had anticipated and I haven't driven it since last October when the tear down began. Started with wanting to clean up the suspension, which led to the inner fenders, which led to the steering rack, which is where I am at now. Finding correct parts is fun, but a challenge!
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Awsome job with the attention to detail. And your SVO looks great. Nice job.

..... Started with wanting to clean up the suspension, which led to the inner fenders, which led to the steering rack, which is where I am at now. Finding correct parts is fun, but a challenge!
    I'm hoping not to fall into that pit when I get back on my 84! But it's so tempting when tearing everything apart.

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    I'm hoping not to fall into that pit when I get back on my 84! But it's so tempting when tearing everything apart.
    Isn't that the truth!

Very nice work bluemax!

Thank you for all of the positive comments... yeah, scope creep is fairly common. You fix one thing and then look at another and realize it looks bad in comparison and needs work too. A few "parts" hiccups along the way hasn't helped either.

Trying to finish up the steering rack and then get the front sway bar back on. Getting closer...
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Great job bluemax! That is absolutely beautiful. I enjoy modified cars as well but factory fresh cars are what I enjoy the most. Thanks for all the pictures.

Thanks bluemax, pics help.
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Wrapping this project up (down to the wire too!), I reinstalled the front sway bar and end links.

The end links were revised in MY 1986, going from a bolt and sleeve to a crimped rod design. I did a write up on these on the Concours Mustang forum. http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum...p?topic=8323.0

My unrestored '86 9L has the later crimped style, and both cars were built in Feb. of '86, so I went with the later style end link for this project. The links at the top are the later style, and the earlier style is shown on the bottom. I have not had a chance to figure out when the change actually occurred (on my list ).

Name:  end links.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  77.0 KB

I reinstalled the steering rack (which was also restored) first, just to make it easier, then the sway bar went in. The four mounting bolts were cleaned and manganese phosphate and oil.

Name:  LH suspension complete 2.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  91.8 KBName:  RH suspension complete.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  102.2 KB

Now to get the front end aligned and get the car cleaned up for the big show.
    Last edited by bluemax; 04-06-2016 at 11:38 AM.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

Wow,is it pretty under there. Brand new!

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Fantastic work! Good job Matt!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

This has been an outstanding write up. Excellent work, great detailed write up and crisp, well lit photography! Can't wait to see the finished product in person...
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

I truly appreciate all of the kind words... when I started this project I knew I was slow, but dang this took all Winter! A few weeks ago I really thought I wasn't going to make it to the upcoming show... As I told Kendal, I could never make a living doing this kind of stuff.

For those of us that enjoy the restoration side of the hobby, one has to envy the early model owners and the correct concours parts availability that they have available to them. While I appreciate that we are making progress in this area... we have a looooong way to go! Just because the catalog says it is "correct" for our cars, doesn't necessarily mean it is oem or concours correct!

I plan to do a write up on the steering gear restoration after St Augustine. It was not without it's ups and downs as well.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

As 4eyes noted, your work is absolutely top-notch. Looking forward to seeing you at St. Augustine this weekend.

I know of a few other FEP folks who will be there, and I hope to see some others too.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast