Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default US F1 Team finally!

Pumped to watch Haas F1 debut the new VF-16 at Australia GP this weekend. First time in 30 years for US team.

Now that Stewart Haas is switching the Cup program to Ford in 2017, maybe Haas F1 will be Ford's partner for an Eco-boost F1 engine program...

USA! USA! USA!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    '84 Tu Tone Coupe 5.0/T-5 Dark Academy Blue/Light Academy Blue Glow
    '86 Mercury ASC McLaren Coupe 049 - November '16 ROTM

Sweet! I dont follow F1, but it is hard not to hear about it in the racing community. Excited to see how they do. Wish I had cable to watch it...
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

And they're based practically down the street from my house which was a surprise.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Been an F1 fan all my life. This new formula has me yawning. It was supposed to breed all this new engine competition. Last season was the first season that I didn't watch a single race from start to finish. I'd like to think this new Haas team will make it more exciting to watch, but the truth is they will probably be rear to mid-packers at best for a few years. Also no Ford or Chevy supplied F1 engine. We had a Ford owned Jaguar team there for a while. It went nowhere. So I'm not holding my breath for the Haas team. This is a level of constructor's competition way above NASCAR and Indy Car racing. Don't get me wrong, I hope they do well, but I'd be really surprised if they do. A mid field finish would be good for them. I'm just hoping team Ferrari can get their sh*t together so we can at least have a contested championship this year.

I will say that Haas VF-16 is a pretty good looking car!

Name:  fc3205eae11db6586b76b9f99d66674d.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  35.4 KB

True MB figured out the unbelievably complex power unit first, but there were some great battles last season. Maybe not always at front of field, but the amount of passing in F1 was way up versus previous years.

To think anyone can reliably produce 600hp out of 1.6 liters, then add another 120-150hp through "hybrid power" to keep it simple is insane. The engineering and design is what makes me keep watching. Having seen a couple cars in person without body work, these cars are works of art.

And why would Ford bite on returning to F1? Over 300 million people worldwide watch F1 on a weekend, that dwarfs NASCAR 10 fold... Ford is all in on Eco-Boost, running it in New GT at 24 hr of Daytona and LeMans.

If the engine succeeds there, why not go after the ultimate prize, F1.

Sorry, let me get off my soap box, I'm just passionate. Plus I dislike the snotty Euros continuing to dominate F1. We need some good ol' American swagger in the pits!

But new qualifying this morning was dismal. Gutierrez, a Haas drive, posted 6th fast lap time in first qualifying sesdion but completed lap after his knockout time limit expired. So he starts 20th.

Haas cars won't be back of pack, this team will score points consistently in inaugural season.

I bet if Ford does well in LeMans with the new GT they will not go into F1 engine building. Why wager the success and cred of winning LeMans, on a very good chance they will fail and hemorrhage massive amounts of cash in Formula 1? Even mighty BMW tried and failed to compete in modern F1. Look for Ford to be more like Porsche and stick to racing GT cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyes View Post
    But new qualifying this morning was dismal. Gutierrez, a Haas drive, posted 6th fast lap time in first qualifying sesdion but completed lap after his knockout time limit expired. So he starts 20th.

Haas cars won't be back of pack, this team will score points consistently in inaugural season.

Sure I'm rooting they can do well! But I'd be surprised. The F1 learning curve is insane. The top teams have not just spent millions this year, they have been spending millions in F1 development for years or decades!

That buys you a lot of knowledge.

Exactly. That's why Haas signed a technical partnership with Ferrari as soon as they announced the team's formation. They run Ferrari engines and even hired Gutierrez, who was Ferrari's practice driver last year. Basically, Haas is Ferrari's junior team, not an upstart. It's been a tough couple years but the program is tight and running at mid season form. Issues will arise, but Manor and Sauber will definitely struggle more.

People also don't realize Haas is providing Ferrari machining support. His company has technology that can help narrow the performance with MB.

No matter what, it's going to be fun to see USA repping in F1... Our last try, not counting Rossi, was "the joke" aka Scott Speed, Ugh...

American team will start Australian race from the rear of the pack

It could have been worse. Not much worse, but it could have been worse.

On Saturday, Haas F1, the series' only American-owned team, qualified for the Australian Grand Prix, it's first qualifying run ever.

The team's drivers finished near the back of the pack, with Romain Grosjean and Esteban Gutierrez finishing 19th and 20th respectively in the 22-driver field.

The Haas team edged out the drivers of perpetual backmarker Manor F1.

While the results were not great, the main goal of the Haas team is simply to finish the race.

"This is one of those races where it's tricky and you need to finish," Grosjean said. "That's our first call tomorrow, though. That's what Gene (Haas) wants."

Gutierrez said despite the poor qualifying result, the potential is there for the young team.

"It was a little frustrating not to see the lap time we achieved reflected in the results," he said. "However, we know the potential is there. Overall, I think we've had a very tricky weekend, but with more time we'll become more efficient as at team."
    http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...ver-qualifying

(Just gonna toss this unrelated F1 story into this thread)

Jacques Villeneuve: Drivers afraid to race without halos should just quit!

Past F1 champion Jacques Villeneuve is no fan of the halo and canopies being debated for increased head safety in the sport. Photo by LAT PHOTOGRAPHIC
    Past Formula One champion says risk-taking part of F1's beauty

Jacques Villeneuve has slammed Formula One drivers who are calling loudly for the introduction of the halo cockpit protection system.

The story has split the driver camp, with Daniel Ricciardo telling Nico Hulkenberg recently to stop being a hero by arguing against the radical safety concept.

"I read that and it made me smile," Hulkenberg hit back in Melbourne. "He has his opinion and I have mine and he should respect that."

Indeed, Hulkenberg said his opinion is so strong, that he would gladly give up many of today's safety advances in order to drive the F1 monsters of the past.

"Yes," he told Germany's Auto Bild. "Despite the much greater risk of injury that the drivers had back then."

Hulkenberg is not alone.

Former Manor racer Roberto Merhi told El Mundo newspaper that "drivers know from the beginning that this is a risky sport."

And 1997 world champion Villeneuve, an avowed purist, scolded those who are balking at one of the last remaining risks of being a Grand Prix driver.

"If they are afraid, they should go and race touring cars," Villeneuve told Le Figaro. "Yes, we must strive for safety, but there are limits we should not exceed. Risk-taking is inherent in F1. It's part of the beauty of the sport.

"For me, halo is too much. I see it that these drivers earn millions and yet they do not want to take any chances. Too bad.

"Do the moto riders ask to ride inside a bubble? This is why they are increasingly respected and admired compared to Formula One drivers."
    http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...ould-just-quit

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    (Just gonna toss this unrelated F1 story into this thread)

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-...ould-just-quit
    I prefer RedBull vision...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123337

Will it work? I don't know but they should try it and see what happens.

Nice thread, F1 fan here

I would think with Haas Racing working with Ferrari, and then switching to Ford would open the old 60's feud all over again.
    But it would be nice to have an American engine in the car.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Alright I'm counting the hours to 12:30 AM

Very cool to have a US team back. But I'm a Sebastian Vettel fan.
    And now that he is in the #5 Ferrari makes it all the better (I'm Italian American and my favorite number is 5....).

Looking forward to the start!!!!!!!!

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

I'm rooting for the iceman. I've been a Kimi fan since his rookie year. I'd love to see him get into a groove with his car and team and click with Ferrari. I want to see Kimi and Seb contesting for the 1-2 this year.

Haha! Love to see more people chime in! F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport. I'm a Bottas fan, thought he was going to kick Kimi out of his seat at Ferrari. I've never seen two countrymen attack each other on the track like they did last year.

Of course now I'm a Grosjean and Gutierrez guy! Let's see the stars and strips raised when manufacturer's national anthem is played... That will be an incredible sight.

I started watching F1 after Alan Kulwicki died. I was a Mika Hakkinen fan until he retired. I kinda followed both Vettel and Fernando but have never really settled on any one driver since Hakkinen.

Still very sad for what happened to Schumacher. I wasn't a big fan but he clearly was one of, if not the best, drivers ever to race in F1.

My lottery fantasy would be to follow an entire season staying in only the best hotels, or on a yacht at Monaco, and flying in private jets to each race.
    Last edited by Ken P; 03-19-2016 at 10:55 PM.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    My lottery fantasy would be to follow an entire season staying in only the best hotels, or on a yacht at Monaco, and flying in private jets to each race.
    And rent, buy or bring a Mustang with me to drive around.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Ken P, I appreciate your Kulwicki reference. I'm from same town as Waltrips but my favorite drive ever in stock cars was Alan. The last owner/driver to win a championship. He was a role model for many of us. But, I've put my stock car years behind me...

However, I still have a lot of friends in the racing business and when I said Haas was in serious form, I'm not talking out of turn.

A 6th place finish in first start is way better than expected but shows Haas isn't going to struggle like a typical start up.

Yep it was tough watching until the end but I made it. The red flag portion made it longer than I had hoped. But I'm always amazed at the technology in these cars that driver's like Fernando could even get himself out of what was left of his car by himself, and then walk away. Flying through the air like that he was carrying some serious momentum. I guess he was closing at over 150MPH when he hit Gutierrez.

There was a short interview with Gutierrez before the end of the race. Based on the look in his eyes he seemed to be thinking "Maybe this isn't for me". I'm really glad they both survived.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Scary wreck for sure. Amazing Alonso walked away with minor soreness, a testament to the technology.

I enjoyed the race for the most part. I was focused on Grosjean moving up through the pack into points position and holding the spot. The new three tire selection also intrigues me. Gives teams more strategy options which is what F1 is really based on.

I'd like to continue this discussion with the F1 fans on here through the season. It should be interesting to watch Ferrari and the "Tag Heuer" (lol) power Red Bulls go after MB.

Blog Entries

I'm glad there are folks that are stoked about an American F1 team, but, I can't say that I'm invested in it at all. I'm a driver fan, and always favor Finns, so Kimi's been my guy for a long time. Also dig Bottas as well. As for teams, I'll tend to pull for Williams. I like who I like because I like them. Nationality (other than Finn preference - what can I say?) isn't a big deal to me. *shrug*

I watched the race yesterday, and can't say it was exciting with the exception of Alonso making it out of that shredded heap of an F1 car. Haas placing 6th does show the seriousness and the support behind the team.

I can't see an American manufacturer being able to justify the costs of F1 racing given the economic climate.

I wish I wasn't dead tired so I could converse about this more thoroughly. More later.

Yay, F1 talk!

Race was not too bad, if you look at the results it's another MB 1-2 but the race was far more than that...

Ferrari got screwed by their strategy, sad cause they had a serious start...

I loved the battle between the two young guns of Toro Rosso.

I was also happy to see the yellow Renault, I'm nostalgic.

Haas gave us a very serious race. I hope that they will be able to polish this car to stay competitive until the end.

Riccardo and redbull impress me. I thought that they will be in the middle and maybe at the end. Their chassis is so good you can't go wrong with Adrian Newey.

I also would like to see Mclaren fight at the top but you know that's a lot of expectation.

It's going to be a long season ;-)
    Last edited by VinceWR; 03-21-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast