Close

Default Coyote swap on the "cheap"

So here's my project. I am doing a coyote swap on my 65k mile 79 Capri. It will be a power steering, power brake and ac car. The cheap part is in quotes for a reason. Nothing is cheap, especially when you are talking about a Coyote swap. Here's my plan. I have found several used truck engines for about $2000 with decent miles. The only functional difference is the exhaust cam and the pistons yield .5 lower compression. Swaps I've seen have resulted in about 20 hp less than Mustang engine swaps. I plan on a 96 to 04 Gt 5 spd parts car to source the trans, rear axle, front spindles, brakes, AC, ps and hydro boost parts. I have found a few candidates for about $1000. AJE k member with coil overs and lower arms are $900. The Ford racing control packs are $1600 (sometimes less). BBK swap headers are $570. Power by the hour makes brackets to use all the 96 to 04 accessories for $599. I will use the fuel tank from the parts car with a 255 pump. Roughly 150. I will do all the work myself and spend the money later to refine the combo, but for now, that should hit all the big ticket items.I know there will be a ton of nickle and dime stuff, but I think it will be a fun project and a blast to drive. Future plans are for a complete rebuild with better heads, cams and intake then make the decision on whether to go turbo or stay NA. Let me know what you guys think. Suggestions are always welcome!

Sounds like a great project. Are you going to start a build thread? I think a lot of us would follow along.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Yep. I'll be following the build thread. There is going to be a build thread, right?

I would be happy to do a build thread, as long as you guys don't expect it to happen to quickly! I hope to have it on the road this year sometime if $$$ permits! I have already pulled the 4 cyl auto combo out and cleaned up the engine bay. All the wiring is pulled and the drives side has been moved inside the fender well along with the hood cable. I just welded in the Scott Rod Fabrications smooth fender aprons tonight!

Name:  20150914_181101.jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  104.9 KBName:  20160306_182632.jpg
Views: 4369
Size:  166.7 KBName:  20160309_100802.jpg
Views: 4295
Size:  69.5 KBName:  20160317_201236.jpg
Views: 4280
Size:  140.6 KB
    Now for a ton of grinding, filling and sanding! I already welded all the holes shut on the shock towers and ground them down. Next I will pull the dash and weld all the unneeded holes shut on the fire wall.

Sounds like cool project and something that I would love to do myself, but with one about to go off to college and her sister just one year after that, I don't see the funds being available anytime in the near future!

I personally would recommend doing some research on the fuel tank swap. I haven't looked into it myself, but the 79 cars used a smaller fuel tank with a slightly different mounting setup than the later Foxes did so that may cause a lot of headaches if you are attempting a "bolt in". If you were planning on cutting up the spare tire area anyway, then it won't make a difference.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Sounds like cool project and something that I would love to do myself, but with one about to go off to college and her sister just one year after that, I don't see the funds being available anytime in the near future!

I personally would recommend doing some research on the fuel tank swap. I haven't looked into it myself, but the 79 cars used a smaller fuel tank with a slightly different mounting setup than the later Foxes did so that may cause a lot of headaches if you are attempting a "bolt in". If you were planning on cutting up the spare tire area anyway, then it won't make a difference.

Best of Luck!

Trey
    Thanks for the input. Any idea where the difference is? I know they are different but basically the same shape. I figured I would have to modify or fab my own straps as long as the contour to the floor is similar.

I'm just about to start my 79 swap after 3 years of parts gathering. 1) First thing is it's the intake cams that are different. 2) try to get a truck engine with all the idlers, belt tensioner, the alternator, and engine harness for the injectors (not control pack or main harness). My truck engine didn't have any of those items and they'll nickle and dime you to death. My $1000 engine turned into a $1600 engine which is still cheap. 3) check with LMR or even bbk to see if they have blemish headers like I got for $450 shipped (only light scratches). If you haven't join the facebook pages like "Coyote swapped Foxbodys", "Mod swapped foxes" etc I would. They have some good deals on swap parts pop up here and there. 4) Become FB friends with Tasca Chris from Tascaparts.com they have good prices on all aftermarket parts not just ford parts. With a little hunting you can get good deals. Good luck on your project and have fun with it!

Oh and Power by the hour is working on an oem/computer deal that will be a little cheaper than the control pack, but Tascaparts will sell the CP for $1350.00 shipped last I saw.
    Last edited by STL79Coupe; 03-18-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    I'm just about to start my 79 swap after 3 years of parts gathering. 1) First thing is it's the intake cams that are different. 2) try to get a truck engine with all the idlers, belt tensioner, the alternator, and engine harness for the injectors (not control pack or main harness). My truck engine didn't have any of those items and they'll nickle and dime you to death. My $1000 engine turned into a $1600 engine which is still cheap. 3) check with LMR or even bbk to see if they have blemish headers like I got for $450 shipped (only light scratches). If you haven't join the facebook pages like "Coyote swapped Foxbodys", "Mod swapped foxes" etc I would. They have some good deals on swap parts pop up here and there. 4) Become FB friends with Tasca Chris from Tascaparts.com they have good prices on all aftermarket parts not just ford parts. With a little hunting you can get good deals. Good luck on your project and have fun with it!

Oh and Power by the hour is working on an oem/computer deal that will be a little cheaper than the control pack, but Tascaparts will sell the CP for $1350.00 shipped last I saw.
    Great info! Thanks! Am I wrong, or doesn't PBH have brackets that use the accessories from a 96 to 04? That was my plan to save on all that nickle and dime stuff. Where did you find a truck engine for $1000? Great score!

You could weld a Sump Kit on the 79 tank, rather than replace it.

FEP Member

Cool thread; I also have an ongoing Coyote swap into my '82GT; going N/A with crate engine and Ford Racing harness kit; got mine from SHM in Ontario and he's come up with some serious cost-saving tricks by modding the factory K-member and using CNC-machined motor mount spacers and rewelding the ball/sockets from shorty headers to the crate headers to save a few thousand$$ on aftermarket longtubes+tubular K-member. His Red '88 Coupe is on Youtube putting down near 400hp/400tq at the wheels with P/S and P/B. I'm running a sumped '82 tank with 255lph external Walbro and return-style regulator. I'm reusing everthing firewall-back from my 347 setup including my T-5 "Z" with Lakewood swap bell, Ram "swap" clutch kit, swap oïl pan,Boss alt. kit and manual brakes, no A/C, flaming river manual rack, batt. in trunk.Got the gas pedal adaptor off Corral. So far looks like rad hoses from harness kit will fit my old rad.** From SHM you also must use an 07-12 GT500 oïl filter and '94-'04 swaybar mounts so engine clears stock K-member and '94-'04 4.6L starter& clutch fork needed for use with Lakewood swap bell.
    Last edited by 11secGT; 03-18-2016 at 02:46 PM.

FEP Member

I also have info for vacuum and fuel line adaptors for use with A-N fittings and how/where to replumb for aftermarket oïl pressure&temp senders if someone wants to save some time.I also have pics of the mods needed to the Lakewood block plate to clear crank sensor and ring( model-depending).If I knew about the F-150 engines + SHM's tricks( K-member+headers) I could've saved about $5000 in all.
    Last edited by 11secGT; 03-18-2016 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11secGT View Post
    I also have info for vacuum and fuel line adaptors for use with A-N fittings and how/where to replumb for aftermarket oïl pressure&temp senders if someone wants to save some time.I also have pics of the mods needed to the Lakewood block plate to clear crank sensor and ring( model-depending).If I knew about the F-150 engines + SHM's tricks( K-member+headers) I could've saved about $5000 in all.
    Wow, experience that can save you 5 grand right there folks.

I'm too old school to do the swap, but it's fun to watch you fellas do it! $$

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. Capri View Post
    Great info! Thanks! Am I wrong, or doesn't PBH have brackets that use the accessories from a 96 to 04? That was my plan to save on all that nickle and dime stuff. Where did you find a truck engine for $1000? Great score!
    I'm not sure on the PBH brackets I'm all manual. I got it from a ford dealership that did a engine swap out for a problem child customer.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    You could weld a Sump Kit on the 79 tank, rather than replace it.
    That's what I did with my tank even with the current pushrod setp.

Chad, SHM even said they wouldn't go to much past 400hp with their motor mount setup. I'd be a little worried about it myself. Plus it's not a whole lot cheaper than a swap k member if you use stock arms.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

A guy is selling a Team Z mod swap K member for $200 on the coyote swapped foxbodys FB page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/6615...2390627813457/

Buy your pedal bracket from Steve@Scramspeed.com it's cheaper than the Frpp one and a lot beefier....They're $79 shipped
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

my question for all you guys is where the heck did you find motors for 1-2k!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STANGMAN116 View Post
    my question for all you guys is where the heck did you find motors for 1-2k!!!!!!
    Mine was a once in a life time deal. Plus, Fidel for that price it's the F150 5.0 motor. You can find them on ebay and car-part.com
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Im am fine with that!!! ill be looking on the sites

Sounds like a fun project! Considering my future plans for the car, I do want to go with an aftermarket K member now, but the header thing is pretty interesting since I may go turbo in the future and wouldn't need the expensive swap headers then anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E. Capri View Post
    Sounds like a fun project! Considering my future plans for the car, I do want to go with an aftermarket K member now, but the header thing is pretty interesting since I may go turbo in the future and wouldn't need the expensive swap headers then anyway.
    A friend of mine building an all out drag car is running C&G Fabrication forward facing headers with fender exit exhaust anticipating going turbo next year. They're on the budget side though....$1300-$1500
    Keith formerly STLPONDS

Default My 82 GT coyote crate 2015 mustang engine swap is about done.

Quote Originally Posted by 11secGT View Post
    Cool thread; I also have an ongoing Coyote swap into my '82GT; going N/A with crate engine and Ford Racing harness kit; got mine from SHM in Ontario and he's come up with some serious cost-saving tricks by modding the factory K-member and using CNC-machined motor mount spacers and rewelding the ball/sockets from shorty headers to the crate headers to save a few thousand$$ on aftermarket longtubes+tubular K-member. His Red '88 Coupe is on Youtube putting down near 400hp/400tq at the wheels with P/S and P/B. I'm running a sumped '82 tank with 255lph external Walbro and return-style regulator. I'm reusing everthing firewall-back from my 347 setup including my T-5 "Z" with Lakewood swap bell, Ram "swap" clutch kit, swap oïl pan,Boss alt. kit and manual brakes, no A/C, flaming river manual rack, batt. in trunk.Got the gas pedal adaptor off Corral. So far looks like rad hoses from harness kit will fit my old rad.** From SHM you also must use an 07-12 GT500 oïl filter and '94-'04 swaybar mounts so engine clears stock K-member and '94-'04 4.6L starter& clutch fork needed for use with Lakewood swap bell.
    The guy you are talking about with the 88 coupe is building my car from rad to tail pipes.

FEP Senior Member

The aero fuel tanks will fit into the earlier cars with a little hammering in the tire well area. I have a '92 tank in my '80 notchback. The straps are different on the front, so you can use your early model straps with some longer bolts and spacers to attach to the car. I've been running mine for 9 months without a problem.