Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Back from the dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    Thanks, I'm loving how much better it's working. I haven't thought about headers, no, or any performance parts for it really. At least for the time being and with the 3.8 in it, I'm just seeking trouble-free operation, and efficiency that the little car with the stock little engine should achieve. I'm not done yet and it's already been both of those. Cool, be sure and update us with your modifications and pics!
    Well, fellow forum member here, Slomont, actually lives just down the street from me. The other day he and I went to his shop (I am so jealous) and he gave me a few gifts! I got a distributor and the 2 barrel carb from a 3.8L V-6 he is taking to the salvage yard! They came out of one of his Fairmont wagons that are anything but stock! I also scammed on a few choice brackets and other odds and ends before he made the engine take the deep six!

Thank you Slomont! Means the world to me! So, as soon as I finish putting my Harley back together, the Mustang is in for a a set of 94 3.8 headers, a dual exhaust (I got a double hump crossmember from pick and pull) a two barrel carb, and an electric radiator fan.

Lets see what that will do! In actuality, it will probably take me all summer to get all that done!!!!

Default Convertibles and Subframe Connectors

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  76.3 KBName:  image1.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  100.2 KBI need some help. After hauling them around for 15 years, I am finally in the position to install the subframe connectors I purchased so long ago. However, When I was test fitting them I noticed in the rear there is a riveted cover that runs from the frame rail to the rocker that seems to be protecting fuel and brake lines in that area. And, I noticed, that this cover is on both sides of the car. Is this one of those braces they put on convertibles in an attempt to strengthen up the loos chassis? Below are some pics I took of the area.

It is, go to maximum motorsports website. They have install instructions for SFC's and convertibles. bracing.http://www.maximummotorsports.com/As...iff/MMFL-5.pdf

That is awesome. Thank you for the instructions. They are not Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors, actually I forgot who I got them from, but this tells me what needs to move and how to get it all back together. Excellent info and I am indebted to you sir!!

Well, FINALLY, I have ridden myself of that damned a/c compressor that has bothered me for 12 years! A chance find in an old T-Bird at the local pick and pull netted me the required brackets to relocate my power steering pump! A quick check on that handy dandy smart phone proved that the water pumps were the same and an hour and a half later.....it was mine! Now that my son has graduated his AIT school for the Army he has picked up his truck and the parking spot is mine! So...here is what I started with:Name:  image.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  100.4 KB

and now!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  128.9 KB

And now....I have seen what I want to do! This is a gorgeous engine bay!Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  169.2 KB

https://youtu.be/yPyGQWpg3Jw

OH HELL YES!!! As some of you may be aware, I am a retired Marine Corps Officer. To see that the Commandant of the Marine Corps drives a Fox Mustang is awesome....to see that it is a four Eye? INCREDIBLE!!! LOVE IT!!!!!
    Last edited by Coffeejoejava; 07-03-2017 at 06:01 AM. Reason: misspelling

https://youtu.be/iU3Opkd-rYQ

AND THE HITS KEEP ROLLING! In case you thought he just borrowed a younger Marines four eye.....

Well, it has been a LONG time since I posted anything to this part. A quick update. I did get rid of the dead a/c compressor after I found the a/c delete brackets at the local pick and pull. All I can say is thank you for mobile smart cellular devices. Checked applicability right there and pulled it off. I wrote about my trials and tribulations with the CFI.

As far as the V8 goes, i have been all over the page on this issue. would love to do it but also realize my lack of facilities and a HOA that frowns on engine swaps in the driveway! So, for ease and simplicity, i am keeping the 3.8 and following in the wise "Walking Tall" shadow and carb'ing this little beast. because in reality what i really truly desire is a car I can drive and enjoy that will not leave me stranded or wondering if i will make it home.

With that said, i have been following the WELL DOCUMENTED path that Walking Tall has forged and am buying all the necessary parts to affect the change. I will have to tell you, the one part that has totally kicked my but has been the distributer cap adapter! Bought a brand new distributor and it came with everything EXCEPT that darn thing. I think i have the correct one ordered and it is enroute.

I will keep everyone posted on this as i go through it. i am racing weather right now. It is November and it does get cold here in coastal Virginia so this may have to wait until spring to take place, but, it WILL take place. I have owned this car way too long not to enjoy it.

My neighbor across the street has caught my enthusiasm. he has a 1983 Mustang GT that he has not driven since 2003 that was covered in his garage. He rolled it out about a year ago and has lately been tinkering with it, slowly getting it ready to start. Needless to say, it has been a magnet for me to go over and observe/assist/bull**** with him as he works through it. It is funny that two four eyes, both requiring "resurrection' are located directly across the street from one another!!!

See you all in the funny papers!!!

So, it is winter in Virginia. Since I do not have a garage I can work in, the Mustang is under its cover in its spot in the driveway, parts are ordered and stashed for the giant push. Rock Auto had a HUGE sale on all the top end overhaul parts I needed/wanted. I have everything I need to do a complete top end overhaul of the engine and replace that damned throttle body with a 2 barrel carb.

Guess what I am trying to say is the Mustang has not been forgotten. I dream of driving it to work everyday, and before the end of summer.....I will be.

I HAVE to get this running. I bought another project...a 1946 CJ-2A straight fendered Willys Jeep! Everything works except the engine which is locked up. Always wanted one of those and my brother is having a "clearance sale" of his multitude of Jeeps he has acquired. Two cool vehicles? AWESOME!!!

So, I started back on the 1986 Convertible. THANK YOU WALKING TALL!!!! Your postings have been the guide by which I will navigate these waters to get my beloved convertible back on the road!

So, I began stripping all the accumulated 1980's fuel injection "goodness" from the car. Walking Tall was right, after pulling all this crap out of the car, the nose rose up at least half an inch!!

Name:  IMG_1242.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  126.5 KB

And that is still not all of it. I ended up having to pull the dash apart to chase the final 4 wires across the car.

Name:  IMG_1243.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  112.0 KB

It is all back together now and the next step will be to start on the wiring to get the DuraSpark distributor to work.

So, my neighbor is also a Fox Four Eye Guy. He has a 1983 5.0 GT that he has had since new. It sat in his garage for roughly 18 years under a cover. Me originally getting mine running caused his wife to pressure him. He is working through the issues caused by such a long term storage (running through the fuel system by that I mean replacing the tank and fuel pump and various other parts.).

When I say "across the street" I literally mean....across the street!!!
    Name:  IMG_1245.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  120.6 KB

He comes over to offer me support and I head over there to help out as well.

Well, every journey starts with a first step. I have stepped...here we go!!!

Best of luck with it
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Name:  regulator.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  96.8 KB
    Well, I began the installation of the new fueling system this past weekend. You can see the regulator attached to the shock tower. The ignition module will be housed in that empty Dura-Spark housing you see on the lower right of the picture.
    Name:  fuel lines.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  110.5 KB
    The new fuel lines are tied into the existing ones.

Next to tackle is the ignition mods!

Looking good, Sir!
    I'm getting deja vu seeing your installed fuel lines, lol
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Where do you think I got the idea?! I have your thread on "speed dial"!!!

Well, thanks to Mike (Walking Tall) I finally got the car wired up with the GM HEI module. Beautiful job if I do say so myself! Now to finish dealing with the fuel system. I got a nice 4412-3 Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel off EBay for 200 bucks. Now to get the intake manifold squared away. I work for a small family owned ship repair business and have access to a full machine shop, blast booth and all the toys you can dream of. So the intake will head in there to get all cleaned up and plugs and blanks put in all the areas left open by the removal of that damned CFI system.

I wish I could say that when it gets running it is party time...but since it has been sitting for a couple of years at this point, I am going to go completely through the brake system. Then new tires......Then it is to the lift rental place to drop the trans and reseal it....then to the muffler shop to have a set of duals put on it (with some shorty headers). then then then then.....guess that's why they call them "Project Cars"!!

My company gives us Veterans Day off (since 80% of their workforce is prior military it makes sense) and i took Friday off to give myself a mini-vaca! So what did i do with my time? Work on the convertible of course! i tightened up a few things, routed a few things, bought a battery and 3 gallons of gas and gave her the old what for. She turns over. I checked the spark....Oh yeah...she has spark. Spark was jumping over a half an inch when I pulled the number one plug wire to test it (the old screwdriver to a bracket method). Checked timing while turning over....right on the timing mark. Hmmmm. then I notice no fuel in the in-line filter. I have my son turn on the key and I listen....no fuel pump happy noises coming from the tank.

After checking the old Haynes manual, I try resetting the inertia switch. Nope. Remove the front seat and install a new relay....Nope.

Well, I hated to do it but the only way to check the pump is to remove the tank. My neighbor from across the street, who is working on getting his 1983 GT running, wanders over. Together we try to sort it out. I pull the pump out of the tank and he remembers that his in-tank fuel pump on his jeep was grounding due to the metal of the pump touching the metal of the frame holding it. I run a couple of leads from the battery and sure enough...nothing. I used some stainless steel clamps to hold the fuel pump in the cage since it was smaller in diameter than the original. I cut off the clamps, attached the leads again...BINGO! She spins like a beast. I thread the pump back into the tank, and with my neighbors help, snug the tank back into place.

We turn the key......nothing. I listen at the tank....nothing. DAMN! Of all the work I did to this car in this transformation, I thought I would have electrical issues....not fuel! But there it is.

Well, Larry (my neighbor) is pretty competent with a multimeter so off we go. We trace out the wiring, and find the fusible link, as noted in the Haynes manual, and test it. Good. We then try the wire from the relay under the front seat to where it plugs into the fusible link. Nothing. He set his multimeter to buzz when the circuit was good. Deathly silence. Damn. I SUCK at chasing electronic issues! Guess I am going to get much better!

But, in the mean time, just to get the beast running and ensure everything is set correctly, I am thinking of running a hot wire back from the battery to the fuel pump temporarily. Not the "correct" thing to do but i gotta hear this thing run! Give me a glimmer of hope!!!

I got a bunch of pictures but for some reason it fails every time I try to upload. So I guess you will just have to use your visualization skills to "see' what is going on!

Well, not having a garage and snow on the ground officially and undeniably SUCKS!!!!

Well, the weather here finally warmed up enough to dive back into the beast. So....back to where I left off 6 months ago! Well, had no power to the pump and I found out why. Before the cold chased me inside (sucks not having a garage to work in) my neighbor and I chased out the fact that I had zero power at the relay.
    So last weekend I pulled back the carpet and chase those wires forward to the massive amount of wire and connectors sitting behind the kick panel on the drivers side. Started looking through them and.....I found a connector hanging loose. Hmmmm.
    Yep, the wires coming off the relay are the same wires as those in the no connected connector! So the only thing I can figure is when I was ripping out hte computer I disconnected that connector not knowing that was the power for my fuel pump.
    Sometimes you can really feel like an idiot....and that time was then. NOW I know why Walking Tall ran a new circuit for his fuel pump. The exact same reason I am having to!
    So here I go again, following Walking Talls lead. Going to pick up some wire and rewire this thing. It has to start this year.

THis is not the prettiest car, not the straightest, not the fastest....but it is mine and I have owned it for almost 25 years. It needs to be cruising.

Is she alive, 'er what?
    Mike
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12