Close

Default Removing A/C/ factory delete

i need some help. I have a 1986 LX Mustang convertible with a 3.8 L V-6. My factory a/c was garbage and I removed everything except the compressor many years ago. I figured, if the sun is out, the top is down and there is no need for an a/c unit!

now I want to get rid of the compressor. I can see by the belt diagram that if the a/c was not installed in the factory that the power steering pump was moved up basically into its place. Does anyone have pictures of a factory a/c delete 3.8L V6? Or know where I can find one so I can get an idea on how to do this?

i do apprciate the help.

Are you wanting to keep the factory appearance? Because I know a lot of guys use the March alternator kit. You relocate the alternator instead of the power steering pump, which reroutes the belt so it works without interference (I don't recall which pulley, but I seem to remember that with the ac compressor removed, the belt tensioner pushes the belt into another pulley.) The alternator bracket also allows you to get rid of the factory alternator bracket. That way, if you decide you want to do a 3g swap, you won't have to grind/ clearance anything to make it fit. Plus, it looks much better.

By the way, I'm not sure if it would work for a v6. Here's the one they sell on ebay. It looks identical to the March bracket, from what I can tell.

Attachment 97763

Well, I ended up and Pick and pull and found some factory A/C delete brackets and foundations on a 3.8 T-bird. After a quick check on the reliable smartphone to ensure they used the same water pump, i liberated those brackets and installed them on the Mustang. Perfect fit, however, the brackets block the original pressure sending unit so the gauge is non-functional right now. Will figure that out when the engine is removed, cleaned up, repainted, and re-gasketed.

FEP Senior Member

A/C was not a "Delete" item, AC was an option. If a car was ordered without AC, it simply did not come with AC. So you are not using "AC Delete" brackets, rather they are brackets from a car that was not built with AC from the factory. Calling it AC delete is the same as calling a coupe or hatchback "Convertible delete", or a 4 cylinder car, "V8 delete". An actual "delete' option is when an item that is normally considered standard equipment, is left off the vehicle during assembly, and a monetary credit is given. My 78 Fairmont started life as a plainjane "stripper" 2 door sedan, with a 4 cylinder 4 speed manual, manual steering & brakes, no radio, rear window defogger AC, power windows, bumper gaurds etc, nothing was deleted, those options were just not requested when the car was ordered.
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

Regardless, the brackets I found at pick and pull did the trick and I now no longer have that damned a/c compressor staring me in the face everytime I open the hood!