Close

Default Exploder Questions?

I purchased a 1999 V8 302 Eddie Bauer 2WD Exploder from a friend of a neighbor of mine taking a chance on a first car for my 15 year old daughter.

The previous longtime lady owner said the truck had a coolant leak that dripped on the garage floor. She hired a mobile mechanic recommended to her by friends. The mechanic removed the complete intake manifold, left for lunch and never returned. Her home owners association Nazi's told her she had to remove this non-running vehicle from the neighborhood per association rules. She sold the vehicle to me.

I believe I found the reason the mobile mechanic never returned as the left front intake bolt was broken and stuck in the head. This did not look like a recent issue and could be the cause of the leak as it is over a water jacket. The bolt was a bitch to remove. This mechanic removed and loosened a lot a stuff not necessary to do so. Today completed putting the truck back together and tried to start. It would not start and almost sounded like a timing issue. The plug wires are all correct. All the electronics are hooked up properly and the fuel pump has pressure. This WAS a running truck prior to removal of the intake manifold.

One thing I found loose was the bolt that holds down the cam sensor. The cam sensor is the sensor that goes in the stock block distributor hole location on these newer 302 FI engines and could be moved right or left in clocking. Therefore my question:

Does this cam sensor just bolt down in the distributor in one position letting the computer compensate for all engine timing or can the position/clocking of this cam sensor in the distributor hole effect the engine timing as was the situation when these engines had a distributor in that location?
    Last edited by vintageracer; 03-15-2016 at 08:45 PM.
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com

My '97 Ranger V6 3.0 has one of those cam sensors. There's an alignment tool for intalling it, Here's a link to an Explorer forum with some info on installing it.
    http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=89670

Yes, this will need to be clocked properly in order for the thing to run.....found this out the hard way on a 97 3.8 t-bird. They do sell a particular alignment tool for the application but there are also some informative videos on youtube on how to do it without the tool.

Here is one..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJXvjiHiKVM
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Thanks for the help.

I have the alignment tool (Zone Rental) and a new Cam Synchronizer.

Will install and let you know of the results.

Thanks for the help!

Mike
    Mike
    Remember, "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts!"

1995 Ford Powerstroke F350 "Centurion" STRETCHED Crew Cab Dually

I like "Cut & Coach Built" vehicles!

www.musclecardeals.com