Close

Default wild rides s box

So im in the process of removing my upper torque boxes due to one side ripping out. Ive spent several hours drilling out all the visible spot welds, but cant seem to find anymore but it still feels like something is holding it to the car still. It seems to wiggle a little bit but i cant break it loose. It feels like somewhere around the seat belt holes there something still holding on. Has anyone had any experience with this and maybe knows of something i might be missing?

I doubt you'll get much chime in on this. But let us know how you like that once you install it. I wanted one a few years back, but I had to keep myself in check. LOL
    Tom

CAMMED & SLAMMED! For more build pics and updates: http://www.facebook.com/SINISBuilt

For being "BUILT not BOUGHT" I am still broke!

Quote Originally Posted by n20capri View Post
    I did this to my car about 8 years ago. Check out my tech article on the install!

http://www.mikemartinelli.com/index....x-installation
    Great tech write up, in the FEP tradition!

Thanks for the quick replies, so far i like the piece, granted its not installed yet but it looks pretty solid. Il keep you all updated, il try to snag some pics also.

So i got the old torque boxes removed and just held the new s box in place just to get an idea how it will look, but its got me wondering how useful my tape measure is going to be cuz it kinda looks like i will have to bend the tape measure to take measurements to the front of the car. Im open to any suggestions, thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by 85moneypit View Post
    So i got the old torque boxes removed and just held the new s box in place just to get an idea how it will look, but its got me wondering how useful my tape measure is going to be cuz it kinda looks like i will have to bend the tape measure to take measurements to the front of the car. Im open to any suggestions, thanks in advance
    I put one in my car about 10yrs ago. No issues at all!! Worth the money spent
    Stephen Johnson
    SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
    National Record Holder 9.49 @ 139mph
    1985 Mustang daily driver
    10.88mph 125mph N/A 337

Just an update on my project, I got the s box bolted in with the 2 bolts. Fitment seems pretty good. Now the fun measuring begins.

Name:  20160604_171512.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  121.5 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 06-05-2016 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Fix Picture

Sorry its upside down, not sure how to fix that lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here ya go (flipped and sharpened)

Name:  attachment-2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  191.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 85moneypit View Post
    Sorry its upside down, not sure how to fix that lol.
    Just fixed it for you.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The best way to measure an install such as this is to use plumb bobs and masking tape. Drop the plumb bob down from your point of reference and allow it to stabilize. The bob should be just above the floor level. Now use masking tape to mark the area the bob comes to rest. Reset the plumb bob and then mark the masking tape with a Sharpie. Repeat as needed for your other points of reference then measure on the floor rather than trying to measure the irregular surface of the car. If you are positioning a piece such as the battle box, then I would mark your front reference points and then keep two plumb bobs attached to the battle box so you can measure, adjust, measure, and adjust until you are satisfied with your placement.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks for fixing the picture, not sure how that happened lol. I had thought about using plumb bobs aswell as the string method, and ive even thought of piecing together a tram gauge type of tool but not quite sure how that would work since the s box upper control arm mounting holes are not strieght up and down if you know what i mean. If i go the plumb bob route, the floor and car on stands has to be perfectly level im assuming? Reason i ask is cuz the left side jack in the driver rear is 1 notch lower than the right rear and i didn't realize it til yesterday afternoon.

It is best to have the car as level as possible front to back and side to side. Just produces better accuracy and repeat-ability. Especially true when dropping a plumb bob and string and using gravity.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks for the quick replies, it much appreciated. Il update my progress.

So I decided to go the plumb bob route. i picked 2 fixed points towards the front of the car. From those 2 points i measured forward to a couple holes in the k member and the numbers were pretty much dead on. I also measured from those 2 fixed points to a couple of holes in the back of the car in the lower battle boxes i believe there called, those numbers also looked good. Im thinking i can go ahead and use the 2 fixed points I chose even though they arent way to the front of the car? Since all the measurements i took looked good. Here's a pic of how i have it now. Name:  20160607_165728.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  112.0 KB

Just make sure that you also measure diagonally to be sure you are square. Otherwise you may have issues. If the points are fixed and the same side to side, and everything measures out equally side to side including cross measurements then you should be fine.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thanks trey, i appreciate all the replies.