Close

Default Front speaker setup in a Fairmont?

So the Fairmonts only had one speaker in the front and two in the rear. The first few days I put my aftermarket headunit in, it kept overheating because it was running too much power through the single speaker in the front. Eventually, I figured this out and am only using the two rear speakers. One of these days, I'd like to have a full 4 speaker setup. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience on doing something similar with the 3 speaker foxes!

Most likely it overheated because the amps didn't like having their speaker wires joined together. Connecting
    outputs directly together in general is a bad thing to do.

Does your dash pad not have the speaker holes on the left and right sides? Can't say I've ever seen a Fairmont
    dash pad that didn't. Otherwise, there are companies that sell single speakers with dual-wound voice coils that
    can be fed by two different amp channels. These are aimed at people with '60s and older cars that did not have
    provisions for multiple front speakers, and they don't wanna cut things up. Like early Mustangs, f'rinstance.
    There are also setups that mount two smaller individual speakers in the single center hole.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Nah, I didn't connect them together, I just put electrical tape over the exposed wires.

My fairmont only has one big speaker right in the middle. It has two big rectangular holes on either side of it, but that's for the windshield defrost...

My mistake! Upon further inspection, what I thought to be vent holes were in fact speaker holes. I'll need to take off the dash pad for further inspection though!

Hey I see your from sask too? Nice wagon!

Haha yup, There aren't a whole lot of us on here! And thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kingleonidasll View Post
    Haha yup, There aren't a whole lot of us on here! And thanks!
    Hey, I can see the Sask border from the end of my road, does that count? Looking to put speakers up front in my Fairmont, so will be looking at people's feed back on this thread.

Chris

FEP Senior Member

My 79 zepher has factory door speakers up front, pull the door panel off and see if you have the cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by teddy1500 View Post
    My 79 zepher has factory door speakers up front, pull the door panel off and see if you have the cutouts.
    Pics?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Anyone know a good source for a dual voice coil setup for a stock single speaker setup?
    My 8 track player is not living up to its full potential..

Quote Originally Posted by teddy1500 View Post
    What ZephyrEFI said. I have never seen any -factory- door speakers in any Fairmont, or in any Mustangs
    prior to 1987. They weren't on the options list, nor are they documented in any of the service or wiring
    manuals. That said, I -have- seen people install factory take-off speakers in the doors on these cars, and
    they can look pretty legit.

Quote Originally Posted by 78futura View Post
    Anyone know a good source for a dual voice coil setup for a stock single speaker setup?
    My 8 track player is not living up to its full potential..
    Any 1st-Gen Mustang repro parts house like NPD, or vintage audio shop like Custom Auto Sound or Retrosound,
    would have what you're looking for.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Is it a 4x10 that I need to fit in my 78 futura? Going to get one someday! Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    What ZephyrEFI said. I have never seen any -factory- door speakers in any Fairmont, or in any Mustangs
    prior to 1987. They weren't on the options list, nor are they documented in any of the service or wiring
    manuals.
    1983 and early 1984 convertible Mustangs (only with the Premium Sound System?) had speakers mounted in the bottom rear corner of the door. Later in the 1984 model year, those speakers were moved to behind the interior quarter trim panel.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Is it a 4x10 that I need to fit in my 78 futura? Going to get one someday! Thanks for the info!
    Why though? It'll never sound as good as a regular pair of door speaker. Yes, you'd have to cut your door panels, but I think it's worth it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I like stock interiors thats why. Lets put it this way. I have a Johnny cash 8 track in my 8 track player right now. I used to go thump thump 2 decades ago. Now the only thing that will thump is the cam.
    Last edited by 78futura; 03-30-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Didn't say anything about thumping. Better than crappy would seem to be good though...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Didn't say anything about thumping. Better than crappy would seem to be good though...
    Yeah I hear ya!

Did an aftermarket "system" in my dads fairmont. I just dabble with car audio. Use to be into subs and amps back in high school. For my dads car he wanted something that he could just listen to and something that sounded nice. We ran into the same sort of problem with the front speakers. He didn't have factory door speakers either and the 2 speaker holes on the left and right of the dash were too small to put anything in. So we opted to do 2 6x9's in the rear deck and a 5.5" speaker in the middle of the dash where the old factory speaker would have went. It actually sounds really good. You have to mess with the balance on the head unit to make it sound even from front to back, but he was really happy with the end result. I also knew that the little 5.5" wouldn't put out too much bass, so we put a 10" sub in the trunk to make up for it. I'm actually surprised by how good it sounds.

We also ran an amp for the sub and an amp for the 6x9's in the trunk. Color matched the box and everything.

Here's a picture of the front speaker under the old dash pad he had. Also, you can see here where the door speakers would mount. He doesn't have the holes in his door panels for them though. but if you wanted to cut a hole in your door cover, you could easily just put a cover on them. We opted not to because he already had his interior done and running wires through the door jam just wasn't what he wanted to do.

Last edited by TeeJayTee; 03-31-2016 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeJayTee View Post
    Did an aftermarket "system" in my dads fairmont. I just dabble with car audio. Use to be into subs and amps back in high school. For my dads car he wanted something that he could just listen to and something that sounded nice. We ran into the same sort of problem with the front speakers. He didn't have factory door speakers either and the 2 speaker holes on the left and right of the dash were too small to put anything in. So we opted to do 2 6x9's in the rear deck and a 5.5" speaker in the middle of the dash where the old factory speaker would have went. It actually sounds really good. You have to mess with the balance on the head unit to make it sound even from front to back, but he was really happy with the end result. I also knew that the little 5.5" wouldn't put out too much bass, so we put a 10" sub in the trunk to make up for it. I'm actually surprised by how good it sounds.

We also ran an amp for the sub and an amp for the 6x9's in the trunk. Color matched the box and everything.

Here's a picture of the front speaker under the old dash pad he had. Also, you can see here where the door speakers would mount. He doesn't have the holes in his door panels for them though. but if you wanted to cut a hole in your door cover, you could easily just put a cover on them. We opted not to because he already had his interior done and running wires through the door jam just wasn't what he wanted to do.

Little off topic, but love the console. I am getting tired of holding my coffee and trying to eat an egg McMuffin on the way to work. Lots of knee steering!

'65s and '66s used 4X10s. In '67 Ford switched to 5x7s, which would fit the center hole in your Futura.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook