Close

Cool Phlebmaster's 84 Mustang GT350 Evolution

Hello everyone. I figured I should get started on this project thread before I get too much done with my new acquisition.

Please note- This thread will be picture and video heavy as I photo document each step. Please let me know if you have questions or need more detail about a specific task. Also, please share your input for things I should know as I move forward. The intent as I go along will be to share as much as I learn from the team here.

In February I picked up this 1984 GT350 from a fellow forum member (Deadstang) as a running project- and that is just what she is. She is nothing pretentious or hyper snooty to worry about getting it right down to the last mm. I have already posted an introduction thread with personal details so this will be all about the car.

Please see the Marti report for specs- This car is pretty much stock with the exception of the wheels, and I replaced the exhaust system.

My goals? I want to make this car a daily driver and share it with the world as a special part of the Mustang's history. It will get some upgrades such as the above mentioned dual exhaust system and possibly engine massaging at some point. But she will be a daily driver. Currently it needs the exhaust finished so I can take it through DEQ and license the car before I can drive it.

It is totally 80s tech, but it has character and that means a lot to me. Also it is the the standard carburetor engine with a 5spd and no crazy computers to limit/prevent tasteful engine mods without too much trouble. I am old school anyway!

If you were curious about my many past projects- please feel free to google "phlebmaster" or look up my Youtube channel "phlebmaster1"
    (Yes, I work in the laboratory- and that is how I got the username) You may find something helpful there with one of your projects.

Okay- On with the GT350 Evolution!

Here is the Marti Report.
    Name:  IMG_20160206_115710.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  76.9 KB

Here is the 84 after I brought her home. It needed the interior installed and wheel caps put on.

Name:  IMG_20160206_144632.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  70.7 KBName:  IMG_20160206_144650.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  341.6 KBName:  IMG_20160206_144731.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  281.1 KBName:  IMG_20160206_144803.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  319.9 KB

FEP Supporter

I don't know too much about the Anny car specifics but I thought they had a rear facing hood scoop? Is that for certain engines only or was it an option?

Regardless, that looks like a nice car to start with. A little TLC; cleaning, polishing and detailing will go a long way. It looks like the car originally had the TRX wheels...and what do you know that LMR just starting selling aftermarket 16" wheels. I think I would vote for that!

Good luck with your new project.
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    I don't know too much about the Anny car specifics but I thought they had a rear facing hood scoop? Is that for certain engines only or was it an option?.
    That was the turbo cars only.

Looks like a nice project, but then again I am biased towards 84s.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanks guys! I am pretty excited about this.

Here is an update- to catch everyone up with progress to date. Please let me know if the pictures are too large.... I can re-size them if needed. Also, I am a shade tree mechanic at best and not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I know some things you will see may make you cringe.... but feel free to share your thoughts as long as it will be helpful to others looking at a process for reference.

First things first- I needed to rebuild the carburetor afterthe car sat for a couple of years. The following pictures outline the kit I used and what I encountered during the rebuild. What makes the Holley 4180 different from its aftermarket 4150/4160/1850 cousins is the tamper-proofmetering block that makes it virtually impossible to adjust the idle airmixture. I didn't make any modifications since I want it to pass DEQ at some point.

This Holley is a pretty basic carburetor, but can be annoyingto get everything to line up right after pulling both bowls off. Also there are"special" screws inside holding the metering apparatus in the secondary bowl. It's not as simple to disassemble as the Carter AFB or Webber downdraft- but easy enough once you know what you are looking for. You have to be aware of which direction the gaskets come off because they are direction specific. :-)

After the rebuild she fired right up! There were a couple of leaky bowl screws on the primary bowl but that self corrected once the screw gasket seated properly. Just something to be aware of if you do one if these....

Name:  IMG_20160214_161619.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  78.0 KBName:  IMG_20160214_162632.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  403.0 KBName:  IMG_20160226_075609.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  283.9 KBName:  IMG_20160226_075651.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  245.7 KBName:  IMG_20160226_092012.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  364.4 KB

Last edited by phlebmaster; 03-10-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Oh... and yes- My wife was not impressed with the rebuild on her kitchen counter....but it was raining and easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. LOL

Cool Exhaust

The next thing I did and still working on is the exhaust upgrade. The stock log style manifolds weigh a ton and I want the unmistakable sound of the 5.0 GT Mustang with dual explosion pipes.

I pulled the the logs and Y-pipe off the car. At some point in this car's life the cat was removed and the whole exhaust system was pretty ratty- as you will see in the pictures. After sourcing the entire system from shorty headers back I picked it all up from a 1990 GT. My Transmission crossmember was single side exhaust specific so I modified it to fit the new exhaust. .... Yes, I know they are cheap but I am on an even tighter budget and I can weld somewhat.

THis was the old exhaust- You can see why I gave up on it....

Name:  IMG_20160213_140023.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  246.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160213_140041.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  219.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160213_140110.jpg
Size:  234.5 KB

This was not cheap- but well worth the price.... pretty straight forward swap and the weight reduction from the shorty headers in the engine bay is remarkable.

Name:  IMG_20160222_193622.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  50.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_20160222_193646.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  53.2 KB

I removed the hangers from the H-pipe since I will need to reposition them anyway to fit the current hanger set up. The exhaust needs a little tweaking here and there. I will have more to share on that progress and some video of the different sounds as I move along.

Default Exhaust part 2

Here is a little video with sound clips of the stock exhaust and after the install of the headers and H-pipe

https://youtu.be/HSQun84sliw

Have you moved the rear brake line? You really need to.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I will, and after trying to squeeze everything through that space...I can see why. Good call on pointing that out.

Name:  passenger brake line.PNG
Size:  300.3 KB

I mocked up the passenger side just to see how close it gets..... I will be welding everything after sorting out details as you mentioned.

Name:  IMG_20160307_173535.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  285.0 KB

Yes...this can't be stressed enough! The old routing does not work well with the additional tailpipe. I just got mine moved since the PO did not do it when they did the duals on mine.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

Quote Originally Posted by phlebmaster View Post
    My Transmission crossmember was single side exhaust specific so I modified it to fit the new exhaust. .... Yes, I know they are cheap but I am on an even tighter budget and I can weld somewhat.
    I had to comment on this one......

If you modify it, make sure you do a much better job than the guy who modified mine. This one made the wall of shame. This thing broke and the whole drivetrain was hanging on the motor mounts.

Attachment 97565
    Attachment 97566
    Attachment 97567
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    I had to comment on this one......

If you modify it, make sure you do a much better job than the guy who modified mine. This one made the wall of shame. This thing broke and the whole drivetrain was hanging on the motor mounts.
    Oh my..... yes! Let me show you mine....since you showed me yours. I wen't with welding each side and using the structure as part of the strength.

This is unmodified...

Name:  IMG_20160213_140135.jpg
Size:  197.4 KB

Modified..... The gussets are still part of the integrity

Name:  IMG_20160303_124346.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  201.7 KB

Oh my..... yes! Let me show you mine....since you showed me yours. I wen't with welding each side and using the structure as part of the strength.

This is unmodified...

Name:  IMG_20160213_140135.jpg
Size:  197.4 KB

Modified..... The gussets are still part of the integrity

Name:  IMG_20160303_124346.jpg
Views: 174
    Yours should be fine for all intensive purposes. I have no idea what the PO was thinking when he did mine and didn't make an attempt to reinforce it.
    Brock

Quote Originally Posted by 84StangSVT View Post
    Yours should be fine for all intensive purposes. I have no idea what the PO was thinking when he did mine and didn't make an attempt to reinforce it.
    If in the end I notice any issues, I will spend the measly 50.00 and buy one. But this adds to the fun of this car and should hold....although it's uglier than homemade sin. Maybe it will scare the drivetrain into submission. haha

Your PO was trying.... but not thinking.

Finally getting some decent weather this week so I will be welding the exhaust system. I am sooo looking forward to finally driving this beast..... my neighbors are tired of me sitting in the parking lot and revving the engine like a 15 yo who is dreaming of driving. LOL

Mike1157

If in the end I notice any issues, I will spend the measly 50.00 and buy one. But this adds to the fun of this car and should hold....although it's uglier than homemade sin. Maybe it will scare the drivetrain into submission. haha

Your PO was trying.... but not thinking.
    Do yourself a favor, and buy the crossmember. Take it as "constructive " criticism, but the pics of the modified version you posted, wouldn't give me one minutes more peace of mind over the previous version.
    Gusseted or not, the weld quality is poor visually, and a weld that looks bad visually, typically is bad.

It'd be one thing if that part was just holding two pieces together , but considering the part is holding something that moves, and is subjected to engine/drivetrain torque every minute of its life.....it'd be a bitch when/if that thing breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post

Do yourself a favor, and buy the crossmember. Take it as "constructive " criticism, but the pics of the modified version you posted, wouldn't give me one minutes more peace of mind over the previous version.
    Gusseted or not, the weld quality is poor visually, and a weld that looks bad visually, typically is bad.

It'd be one thing if that part was just holding two pieces together , but considering the part is holding something that moves, and is subjected to engine/drivetrain torque every minute of its life.....it'd be a bitch when/if that thing breaks.

Thanks for the input Mike. Criticism intended to help/save from tragic events- IS constructive and appreciated. Point taken....

Default Exhaust Final

Finally! The exhaust system is smooth sounding and relatively tame. It does have a good rhythm now though... better than the stock single. I still need to get the transmission mount but that is easy to replace when I get it.

I moved the rear passenger side brake line...
    Name:  WP_20160319_12_52_08_Pro.jpg
Views: 72
    Name:  WP_20160319_13_31_57_Pro.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  31.9 KB
    Name:  WP_20160319_13_32_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  36.6 KB

And went to welding away! I am not an expert welder but the seams are solid- although ugly... but no leaks!
    Name:  WP_20160319_13_51_28_Pro.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  259.2 KB
    Name:  WP_20160319_13_51_34_Pro.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  221.2 KB

I need to adjust the carburetor float so that is why the car lopes and smokes