Close

Default '66 Mustang Front Disc Brake Swap Options

So, my dad has a '66 Mustang 289 auto. I've been trying to get him to swap his front brakes to disc when he goes to the two-reservoir master cylinder.

We've found a couple of kits, but they've both said they don't fit 14" wheels. He has some 14" fake Cragar SS wheels that he really likes, so that just won't work. One kit, by Scott Drake looks really nice too, it allows you to use your drum spindles and stuff.

Isn't there a disc brake swap that will let him keep his wheels? What about from a Granada? I'm pretty sure MOST cars had 14" wheels well into the '80s. Didn't any of the early Mustangs have disc brakes?

Any my other question is, if he goes to a 2-reservoir master cylinder, will one that works with front drums also work if he later swapped to front disc, or would he need a different one? Is the difference in the proportioning valve?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

The '75-'80 Monarch/Granada conversion is a popular choice
    http://mustangsteve.com/granadadiscs.html

Interesting. A lot more trouble than I thought! No wonder those kits are so expensive!

Here's the one he's looking at.

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...s%20SWAP2.html

The bad English in the description has me wondering about the quality, but it is nice and complete. Master cylinder, booster and everything!

Here's the Scott Drake kit:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dra...Z03xoCfJjw_wcB
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The SSBC kits use the stock components and work with 14" wheels but they are expensive. Here is a link to the non-power dual master upgrade kit:
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-fron...966/p/A120D-V/
    This master power kit uses 14" disc brake wheels.
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/master-po...-1973/p/DBF32/
    Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

Quote Originally Posted by JKengineering View Post
    The SSBC kits use the stock components and work with 14" wheels but they are expensive. Here is a link to the non-power dual master upgrade kit:
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/ssbc-fron...966/p/A120D-V/
    This master power kit uses 14" disc brake wheels.
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/master-po...-1973/p/DBF32/
    Mike
    That looks really nice. As soon as I see a name like "Wilwood" or "SSBC", my first thought is "ripoff". It says you use your "V8 Spindles" but does that mean DRUM spindles? That's not clear here. I do see what appear to be caliper bracket adaptors though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It's becoming a little clearer now. The first kit in post #3 uses Granada brakes. Apparently the reason they say you can't use the original Mustang 14" steel wheels is the center hole in the wheel, not necessarily the 14" size. They say later factory 14" wheels, as well as aftermarket 14" wheels will fit, but you may have to grind the calipers a bit.

I wonder if that's also the issue with the Scott Drake kit. Looks like it's pretty much on par pricewise since the Scott Drake kit doesn't come with a master or booster though.

Going back to the first kit though. Here's what I don't get:

SWAP.2.2/M: 5 lug front manual disc brake conversion kit for 64-66 Mustang with V8 power steering linkage.

ADD TO CART IMAGE $639 + S&H
    __________________________________________________ _______

SWAP.2.2/PBU/AT: 5 lug front power assist upgraded disc brake conversion kit for 64-66 Mustang with V8 manual steering linkage and automatic transmission. Includes a power assist upgrade package.

ADD TO CART IMAGE $749 + S&H

Here are the two kits I would think my dad would have to choose from. he has 5 lug wheels, V8 automatic. From what the text says here, kit 2.2/M is for you to end up with manual brakes, and is only for cars with power steering. Kit 2.2/PBU/AT is for you to end up with power brakes, but only if you have manual steering. I see no option on the list for power steering AND power brakes. WTF?

First of all, did manual steer cars use different linkages from power steer cars? Are drum spindles different from disc spindles? These are things I don't know. I could see how Granada spindles might be different from Mustang spindles... THAT makes sense... I don't know. It's just a lot to take in. We don't have these questions in the Fox world.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I think 65-67 spindles are all the same with different brackets for disk brakes. Single piston disc brakes from 68-69 use different spindles but the same size tie rod ends. 70 up have larger tie rod ends and hub bearings. The drag link, pitman arm and possibly the idler arm are different for power steering.

Hope this helps. Mike
    85 GT - owned since 87

Quote Originally Posted by JKengineering View Post
    I think 65-67 spindles are all the same with different brackets for disk brakes. Single piston disc brakes from 68-69 use different spindles but the same size tie rod ends. 70 up have larger tie rod ends and hub bearings. The drag link, pitman arm and possibly the idler arm are different for power steering.

Hope this helps. Mike
    It does, thanks! He was looking at getting new steering linkages this year anyway, so maybe i'll tell him to hold off until he makes sure he knows what he needs in that respect. It turns out he has manual brakes, which I didn't know. So, that should save him some trouble and money.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

The Granada stuff is mostly bolt-in, (and the way I would go) but there is one piece (maybe the driver side tie-rod) which needs to be either custom, or from a completely different car.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    The Granada stuff is mostly bolt-in, (and the way I would go) but there is one piece (maybe the driver side tie-rod) which needs to be either custom, or from a completely different car.
    Thanks. I hope since this is a kit, it addresses that.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)