Close

Thread: 5.0 oil pump

Default 5.0 oil pump

Will the Ford Racing high vol oil pump fit in the FOX oil pan without modifying the pan?

It might "fit", but Ford doesn't recommend it due to the oil capacity of the stock pan.

Is there a high vol pump that will fit?

The high volume pumps are thicker in the pump area which makes them hit the bottom of the oil pan. I found this out when trying to install one with my 351 swap oil pan, and I'm sure the same scenario would exist with the 5.0 pan. I later learned that high volume isn't necessarily a good thing, and all I needed was a stock volume pump for my 408.

If there is some reason why you need a high volume pump you will most likely also need an aftermarket high volume oil pan.
    408/T5/3.73's

We're not fast racers, we're more what's known as half fast racers.

There might have been recent changes to HV pumps, but I haven't heard of any. You could talk to 1,000 people, and 999 of them say you don't need an HV pump, and 1 will say you do, and that one person will mess you up. True story.

Even for mild builds, I believe a stocker is just fine. If I remember correctly, an HV also moves the pick up tube closer to the bottom of the stock pan, which isn't good either. Unless, you already have the HV pump, I'd just go with a good quality stocker.

Thanks guys, building my first 5.0 and was told that a HV pump was the way to go. I'm just building a mild street 5.0 so, a stock oil pump is good? Any recommendations on what brand, or does it matter?

A high volume pump can actually damage seals due to too high of pressure and take 11 more hp.

I'd just stick with a good store part. You can disassemble them and play with the parts. It's just two gears in mesh.
    Last edited by Haystack; 02-20-2016 at 03:43 PM.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

There are guys that will tell you to always use a HV pump 'for insurance', because they've always just
    heard that was the thing to do. You'll find a lot of this in the Chevy-centric magazines, but it spills over
    into other makes as well. I mean, how could more oil flow hurt, right? Except it can.

An oil pump is a positive displacement device, meaning for every revolution of the shaft, the pump will
    move a fixed amount of oil. Increasing that amount above what is necessary means the oil has to go
    somewhere else. Much of that will be past the bypass valve, but that doesn't open according to volume,
    it opens according to pressure.

Raising oil pressure above what is needed will increase the wear rate of the drive gears on the camshaft
    and distributor, it will increase oil temperatures, and it will cause increased oil supply to the upper areas
    of the engine, which in turn can increase oil consumption past the valve guides, and create more windage
    losses as that oil finds it's way back to the pan. Furthermore, if you send too much oil to the top end, you
    can exceed the capacity of the drainback passages, which will cause even more oil to accumulate in areas
    where the oil pump can't use it. A larger aftermarket pan can help, but only to a point.

Bottom line, unless you have some specific reason to use a high volume pump, don't. It will create more
    problems than it will solve.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Great info, THANKS.