Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Trey, Yes i will make it double shear. The bell crank needs fully welded as well as some gusseting. I wasn't sure how I wanted to make the upper pivot double shear without seeing it in place; it's a tight fit inside the upper control arm

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    Trey, Yes i will make it double shear. The bell crank needs fully welded as well as some gusseting. I wasn't sure how I wanted to make the upper pivot double shear without seeing it in place; it's a tight fit inside the upper control arm
    I thought that might be the case, but just wanted to mention it anyway. Cool work and good luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I think i promised a pic of the seat in the car:

Name:  IMG_20170527_094716.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  101.7 KB

I dropped the seat where it would be stable to sit in and found that in that spot I could reach the pedals. I'm about 6'1" and driving this car I had to move the seats back a bit so moving the seat back a bit shouldn't be a problem.

As you can see I have a big hole in the floor. I've been working on filling it in. A three day weekend was a nice time to get in there and start building a tunnel.

I didn't plan ahead well as when I went to pickup up some fresh 18ga sheet metal I found all the stores had closed for the weekend. In the name of progress I decided to reuse what I could of what I had cut out before. When I initially cut the tunnel out, I cut most all of it in one cut. I separated the firewall bit and started with that. With some cutting and tweaking I got the firewall (mostly) covered.

Name:  IMG_20170528_160659.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  76.4 KB

I knew I would have to grind my welds back down so I tried to put seams on the flat spots of panels. The picture is not the greatest but compared to before it's proof of progress .

Name:  IMG_20170528_160653.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  112.3 KB

Here most of what I cut out went right back in, only some more metal sectioned in to make clearance both height and width wise for the end of the transfercase and the driveshaft.

I'm picking up fresh metal tomorrow and might look into getting a 30" harbor freight metal brake to help speed up the process.

Metal brake. I want one too.....

Very cool project.

This is awesome. Keep up the exceptional work. I have considered the possibility of an AWD fox, but I was thinking something Subaru based. Never would have considered an explorer. I love the ingenuity!

Quote Originally Posted by Davedacarpainter View Post
    Metal brake. I want one too.....
    I broke down and bought one. It was about 50 bucks from harbor freight. My brother needs a firewall in his old Vega so I figure it will get a good bit of use.

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Very cool project.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0 notchback View Post
    This is awesome. Keep up the exceptional work. I have considered the possibility of an AWD fox, but I was thinking something Subaru based. Never would have considered an explorer. I love the ingenuity!
    Depends how you would execute it. This guy stuffed a wreck audi drivetrain in an 88 foxbody https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo.../103334/page1/

You would have to use a subaru motor and transmission to make it work and keep the front driveshafts somewhat near a happy spot. Subaru gets it done with a short longitudinal engine upfront where as Mitsubishi uses a straight 4 configured as a FWD car would with a transfer case slapped on the back. This is also how ford does the Focus RS.

I considered staying with a McPherson strut setup but wanted the challenge of going IFS. If i were to do it differently I'd stay with a McPherson strut setup and adapt the Trailblazer SS front differential. It is a lot smaller and on the trailblazer bolts to the oil pan. You would probably need custom halfshafts and LCA's to fit whatever FWD car spindle works.

Wow great build ..you got my attention...

Was contemplating on making my 65 mustang awd
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index....mobile-museum/
    explorer drivetrain
    1982 Mustang coupe with 66 mustang 289(30 over, keith black pistons,etc.) 4cyl world class t-5, 8.8 with 3.55.
    1980 Mustang hatch(sold)
    1965 Mustang (in process)

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemate View Post
    Wow great build ..you got my attention...

Was contemplating on making my 65 mustang awd
    https://www.hemmings.com/blog/index....mobile-museum/
    explorer drivetrain
    Thanks! I'm making (slow) progress on building a tunnel.
    Name:  IMG_20170603_102953.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  95.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_20170605_205434.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  92.2 KB

I've covered the hole left in the passenger side but it seems i have lost the photo. I've got some nice bends going on the driver's side, hopefully I can get the last bit tacked up this weekend so I can then go back and put a hole for the shifter

Very awesome Love the progress!

totally awesome thread.

I contemplated doing an Explorer based donor back in the 90's but it would have been WAY too expensive back then. Really neat to see how much of it actually does work. Will be an out of this world car when its done. Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    totally awesome thread.

I contemplated doing an Explorer based donor back in the 90's but it would have been WAY too expensive back then. Really neat to see how much of it actually does work. Will be an out of this world car when its done. Congratulations!
    Thanks! I've been slacking a bit on updates and working on it. I've got the trans tunnel 95% covered, I need to pull the drivetrain to finish the tunnel, weld weld weld, grind grind grind and paint.

I have found I need to shave the driver's side of the transmission bell a hair for the front drive shaft, maybe if I changed the mounting flange I wouldn't have to but I'd rather not have to add another drive shaft to the bill if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua View Post

Is this for real or just eye candy?
    As Mr Joshua also said...real people do real things and have integrity.

I like this...the fruition of a lot of conceptual stuff. jeremyp, I remember your influences from my Australian Street Machine magazines, where the two cars you cited were previewed. I love the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I haven't given up yet! Lots of life and other projects going on not to mention the planning this car required.

At some point along the way I built a k member based off my explorer jig, and then i rebuilt it, and then realized i would need to shorten it some more.
    version 1:

version 2: more beefy, less weird shapes.

So after staring at the car on jack stands for so long I decided to take a long weekend get it back on all four wheels.
    I needed to shorten my k-member by two inches to move the lower control arm into a better location, make power steering rack mounting points, build the cantilevers for my suspension, more brackets for suspension stuff and lots and lots of welding.

And it worked out, well I did order the wrong springs but I've sorted that out.

Attachment 112079

I get my new springs Thursday and will start fitting the motor and transmission Saturday. The k-member needs some clean up, welding and bracing still but that will come after I've added motor mounts to the mix.

In case you haven't yet noticed, its going to be AWD.

@xctasy I'm always happy to see a comment from you!

I've been busy with work but I've been chipping away at this.
    I think since last post I've put in stiffer front springs, pulled it all back out and welded up some stuff.
    Right now I'm gathering and cleaning parts and then putting them on the motor.

Last night I just finished installing the trick flow valve spring upgrade kit. Heads were in pretty good shape, the valves didn't have too much carbon on then and a brass wire wheel made them look as good as new. A quick lapping and I called it done.

For the front suspension, I need to redo the LCA mounts but it isn't really that difficult. I can tweak the design of the mounts a little and make them much sturdier as well as get rid of some ugly welds. Other than welding and some bracing, I'm content with the suspension for now. It'll need some testing before I go crazy with it.

I still need to find a complete good transmission and am considering grabbing an electronic shift Borg Warner 4406 transfercase. Internet says you can shift in and out of awd at speeds up to 60 so that could be fun.

Why am I just seeing this now !! This is very interesting to me. Excited to follow along .

You said u saw my Orange Pile on IG, what is your IG username?
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Wow this is insane!!
    Brian R. of Michigan
    83 TBird 5.0
    88 Ranger 2.3t
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...83-Tbird-build

Sharing this here too.

I installed a new seat. Its a Jeg's kirkey style seat.

Name:  IMG_20171202_182127.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  97.8 KB

I reused the sliders from my old seats and built a frame between the sliders and with tabs to bolt the seat down to.
    Needs a little tweaking, the seat feels like its tilting right so i might need to shim it to get it level. I'll take more pics of the setup when I pull it out in a day or so.

Brakes have preoccupied my time for the past week or so.

After some discussion I decided to go with 94-98 cobra front calipers with the matching 13" rotors up front.
    I now have cobra brakes all around, kinda.

Name:  IMG_20171223_114445.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  80.2 KB

Here is where I'm at right now. I've got the caliper bolted to the spindle with a bracket I designed and 3d printed.

Name:  IMG_20171222_221019.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  126.4 KB

The game here is providing mounting points that fall on two concentric circles that have about 6mil difference in radius.
    I'm using Fusion 360 to do the cad work and I have a Maker Select V2 3d printer with a fair amount of mods.

Name:  IMG_20171223_092007.jpg
Views: 957
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_20171223_113335.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  129.1 KB
    This is how the bracket and pad sits on the rotor.

The pad has clean and clear contact with the rotor and the caliper bracket has 4 mm of clearance between the inside and edge of the rotor, about 2mm is the target gap between both faces and the bracket but that still need some tweaking with my part.

I would like to use socket cap screws between the bracket and the caliper but I need to find some m12 1.75 x 30mm screws to test fit it.

And that there is some talent my friend can't wait to see the end results

I take it the 3d printed brackets are just for testing? Then metal brackets will be fab'd? That's awesome. That is the first build thread with the use of a 3D printer that I know of!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Thanks! Yes the printed bracket was to test the spacing of the caliper bracket. I found a shop that can cut the brackets for me, they've just been a little slow to respond.

Last weekend I pulled a transmission from a pick a part, turns out the output shaft was the wrong size. Luckily all the other internals are the same between the old and new transmissions. Some locking nuts and a new bearing are on the way to finish reassembly and my transmission should be sorted.

This has got to be one of the coolest threads I have ever seen!! Love the idea and the ingenuity of this car!!! Keep it up can’t wait to see the finished product!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1984 LTD LX, 160k mile Explorer 5.0, Comp XE264HR-14 cam, Alex’s Parts springs on stock GT40 3 bar heads, Unported Explorer intake, 1 5/8 shorty headers, off-road H-Pipe, Spintech 9000 mufflers, Holley Terminator X Max, J-Mod 4R70W, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Tubular front and rear control arms, front coilovers, Turbocoupe rear coil springs

I think I'm done with my k-member. Last night I welded up the rear-most mounting brackets and then sprayed a coat of booger-weld-hiding satin black.

A side shot showing the general construction of the thing.
    1"x2" box tube with a .125" wall and 3/16" plate were used for almost all of this, I capped some stuff off with 1/8" plate.

Name:  side shot.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  121.9 KB

The combination motor/front diff mounting point. I'm on the fence about adding more metal here. I think the differential when bolted in will anchor this for sure (It bolts down on two spots on the DS of the car) and take out any movement but I'll ponder it today.
    Name:  motor and diff mount.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  123.7 KB

And now here is some suprisingly shaky video I took to get out of trying to take a good shot of the thing:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/Oq6IDaeoHsGJ82Nh2

First, lemme say, this is one helluva adventurous endeavor!

My mechanical engineering design (mostly robot and gun brackets for heavy spot and nut weld guns for "the big three") brain does not like those inner control arm pivot tabs out there on their own with comparatively minimal anchoring weldment, that will get stressed pretty heavily. Come down off the fence, brave Sir, and I would like to suggest to triangulate (pivot end and inner end) at least those rear inner control arm pivot tabs with the 1"x2" cross bar above them with some lengths of your 3/16" plate. They are out in the wind and will be subjected to substantial forces in every direction. I see the fronts may be an interference issue though with the rack'n'pinion if they are braced like I'm suggesting, though they appear to have more supportive additional weldment to the k-member... ditto with triangulation or a gusset of sorts between those upper rounded end tabs if possible too...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast