Close

Thread: SROD question

Default SROD question

In the next few weeks I'm going to be doing a 8.8 swap on my '83. It currently has a SROD 4 speed in it. While I'm at it I figured I'll change the lube out. Since this is my 1st SROD (I always had t-5's) and it shifts good, I have some questions. From what I've gathered it has a fill hole, to drain I would need to pump it out this hole as well, is that correct? This trans unlike the t-5 takes gear oil, is 75w 90 ok? Lastly does anyone have a pic of this trans? More specifically the fill/drain hole? I hear the wrong bolt being pulled will drop a part inside the trans making it useless unless opened up. Thanks guys.
    ‘86 GT Vert, '89 LX 5.0

you can remove the very bottom bolt where the tailhousing bolts to the main case and it will drain there but be sure to put sealant on the bolt to keep fluid from seeping around the threads far as fluid I would use synthetic gear oil works great in mine

I would take it to a lube place to have the gear oil changed out. It's easier and cheaper in the long run. I had that trans in my 83 when I first got it.

Thanks I'll pull that bolt. My father has a small body shop and we have a lift and I prefer to work on all my own cars. I don't trust anyone else. Just never had experience with a srod before.
    ‘86 GT Vert, '89 LX 5.0

Gear oil is thick, so maybe drive it around so it will run out faster. I work on my own cars too, hate the idea of spending money on something I know I can do better than the "trained technician". Only reason I said that was the suction apparatus they have really gets the job done. I wish I had one of those lifts. I currently have my car on four jack stands. I pulled all the wheels off to redo all the brakes, rotors bearings, brake lines and inner outer tie rods etc. Getting too old to be crawling under and around my car. LOL.

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Not sure on the SROD but lower right hand side (passenger side) should be a drain plug and about mid way up should be the fill plug

Most all gearboxes only need to be halfway full this drain plug will allow excess lube to seek its level by oozing out if overfilled

There are tricks like jacking car up on one side higher to get more fluid in or fill it while out of car etc

As far as transfer pump harbor freight makes a inexpensive hand pump that works well I used mine for my T5 and rear axle I think it's called a fluid transfer pump works well on heavy gear oil and works well with parts cleaner (not as thick ) used parts cleaner to clean the heavy gear oil out before putting pump in storage

As far as gear oil I was told too thick and the oil is unable to go through all the ports and valleys and gets where it needs to get too

I would contact a trans shop preferably performance shop

D and D performance or Hanlon or such companies will get you in the right direction

No drain hole will be above center of a gear box so find the lowest possible plug looking bolt should be a female square head or male square head most likely female and a ratchet will fit inside of it

Pay attention to the color and smell of fluid as it comes out
    Automatic trans fluid will look and smell very differently than gear oil also watch how it flows out it will be slow and heavy or watery and fast