Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mach1 wheels

Default Mach1 wheels

Have been planning on swapping Bullitts from 98 to my 86 notch. Really like how the Bullitts look on foxbodys. Plans have changed since I saw a POS hacked up 89 5.0 notch with a set of Machs. Bullitts are staying on the 98 and the 86 is getting a new set of Machs. I never cared for the Machs on the SN cars very much. I would not have ever considered putting Machs on foxbody. I have seen plenty of pics online, but after seeing them on a foxbody in person they are the perfect wheel IMO. My 86' is completely stock with exception of ac has been converted to 134r. Point being I am not married to any conversion parts yet. Starting from a clean slate. I have studied up all evening about the swap. I have basically three things to consider in the order listed since wheel offset can affect parts used.

1) My two choices of wheels are stock 17x8 +30mm 5.68 backspacing or aftermarket 17x9 +26mm 6.023 backspacing. Not interested in
    anything bigger or smaller. I really like the 17x9 with 275/40/17 combo on my 98 but I am leaning towards the 17x8 with what I have
    read. I feel like I can make either size work. I have only ever run stock turbines and 10holes on the 86. Both those wheels are 15x7
    +24mm 4.94 offset.
    2) Tire size would be my next consideration. If I was going 17x9 wheel I would use 275/40 no doubt but as I stated from what I have
    read has me leaning towards the 17x8 wheels. I have never run a 17x8 so I am not sure what size looks right on it. I hate the looks
    of to small of a tire.
    3) 5lug swap, as stated I can go any direction with the swap. I feel I have a decent grasp of all the different ways a 5lug swap can be
    done. I want t figure out what parts to swap on the front end that will have the correct look with the Mach1 offset. As for the rear
    same applies. I have learned about the different flange to flange widths that can be achieved. I will list the parts I have left over from
    past projects. In no way will I use these parts just because I already own them, as stated I want look right. I can not stand a wheel
    tucked in to far or hanging out like a mud grip......and yes a 1/2" to far either way irritates me.

Parts Left from past projects
    SVO front rotors
    SVO complete rear end with disc brakes
    98 cobra complete rear end with disc brakes
    88gt front spindles
    88gt complete rear end with drum brakes

Not really concerned with upgrading the brakes or suspension geometry. Factory stuff is good enough for what car is used for. If while doing swap brakes and suspension geometry gets upgraded just all that much better. I have measured and researched about all I can. Ready to hear real world issues I will encounter with the swap.

thx in advance for any advice, pics or criticism.....it only helps

A 245/45/17 on a 17X8 works really well and is virtually the same overall height as original 225/60/15.

Generally the 17X8 with a 30mm offset fits just fine on a Fox with a 5 lug conversion. If using the SVO/Ranger parts then the center cap fitting is always a concern or issue so consider that.

The SVO/Ranger setup is just a bit narrower than a SN95 conversion up front so the 17X8 can sit just a bit more inside the fender. Nothing terrible IMHO, but some run a spacer for strut clearance and that can also help with the center cap clearance.

Either rear end setup width wise is essentially the same, so no issues there. I would only recommend running the SVO rear brakes if running the SVO front brakes otherwise you have a mismatch in the brake system.

The 17X9 with a 275 up front can cause some clearance issues with many cars depending on your final setup. I run a 255/40/17 on a 17X9 with my PC using the 94/95 spindles and Cobra brakes. No issues with clearance using a 24mm offset. I know I would have rubbing issues with a 275 up front myself due to my ride height and alignment.

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-14-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Mach 1 wheels will work with the SVO rotors,you my have to run sn95 parts up front
    Robert
    86 GT vert
    85 GT

Trey, was hoping for your input. Let me know if I am on the right track with parts these set ups would require to convert my 86'
    1) SVO set up
    front-use factory installed 86' spindles and lower arms just add SVO rotors and calipers
    rear-use SVO rear end and brakes....this would be the widest setup by my measurements axles are a little longer than cobra
    ? would this set up be to wide ...SVO rim is a 16x7 +40mm 5.65 backspacing. My math says Mach1 will be +.11" inner and +.89" outer than the SVO wheel

2)Cobra set up
    front-use 94-95 spindles and lower arms with cobra rotors and calipers
    rear-use cobra rear end and brakes. this set up is a little narrower than SVO
    ? this would give me exact track width of 94-95 cobras since cobra wheel is 16x8 +30mm....same as Mach1 wheel. From what I have read Front track width would be wider than SVO set up but rear would be a little narrower.

In my opinion so far these are my to best options...I think. Fox rear width would be to narrow I am afraid. If I went the SVO route my front track width is going to increase +.89/side, is this to much to still look right? If I go to 94-95 cobra how much will it increase? Am I possibly missing a better combination than these two I have listed? Trey do you have pics of your PC so I can see the outer fenders and how its looks?

Quote Originally Posted by 85blackgt View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but I don't think the Mach 1 wheels will work with the SVO rotors,you my have to run sn95 parts up front
    Can you point me to any links with this info?
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-14-2016 at 01:40 PM.

My information shows the SVO rear track width at 58.3" and the 94-98 at 58.7", but again it depends on who measures, how they measure, etc. Essentially I consider them the same basic overall width.

If you have a Mach 1 wheel I would consider doing a test fit with a SVO, Mark VII, and Ranger rotor before proceeding to verify if the wheel fits the rotor and if you will be able to install the center caps. I don't believe the Mach 1 is any worse than the OEM Cobra, or the Cobra R in regards to center bore diameter, but I have no experience with the Mach 1 wheels.

I have run the SVO & the 94-98 rear end setups on a couple of Foxes and I have had good luck with both the 17 X 8 30mm offset and the 17 X 9 with a 24mm offset. Both work well and look good IMHO.

I don't believe there is any difference in front track width when adding the SVO, Mark VII, or Ranger rotors to the stock spindles and control arms, but I might be wrong. Either way any change will be negligible IMHO. If using the 86 spindle you will still most likely have to run a spacer for strut clearance anyway.

Adding 94/95 Spindles to a Fox with stock lower control arms you will add 0.120" per side or @ 1/4" of overall track width. The SN95 spindles are designed for a control arm that is 1.18" longer than the OEM Fox control arm, so adding them will cause your camber to immediate become more positive by 1.7 degrees. You will need CC Plates to be able to adjust the camber back for a proper alignment. Otherwise you will want to consider swapping to the SN95 lower control arms, but that will limit you to an 8" front wheel without major fender modifications.

IMHO the SN95 parts are the better option. It gives you more brake options if that interests you and sometimes better parts availability. The SVO brakes are a good setup, but you have to run the system as a complete system for best braking performance and overall balance. I am installing the entire system from a 1986 SVO onto my 91 GT, because I have all the parts and I want the 5 lug swap and I know that ultimately I will sell the GT and I am keeping all my SN95 parts for my 4 Eyes!

Hopefully I answered all your questions at this point. I am sorry for any rambling, but I am being bombarded by my wife and kids right now, so my focus . . . Well You know what I mean!

Here is the only picture I have of my PC right now. This is several years old, but the wheel/tire setup is still the same. Also keep in mind that I have 03/04 Cobra brakes front and rear as well as the Cobra IRS in the back. I am running a 17x9 with 24mm offset up front and a 17x9 with 36mm offset in the back due to the wider IRS track width.

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-16-2016 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Control arm difference correction
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]My information shows the SVO rear track width at 58.3" and the 94-98 at 58.7", but again it depends on who measures, how they measure, etc. Essentially I consider them the same basic overall width.

I took both the Cobra rear and SVO rear apart, SVO axles are almost a 1/2" longer/side.....sorry not exact I left measurements out in shop. So I would think SVO track width has to be wider

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]If you have a Mach 1 wheel I would consider doing a test fit with a SVO, Mark VII, and Ranger rotor before proceeding to verify if the wheel fits the rotor and if you will be able to install the center caps. I don't believe the Mach 1 is any worse than the OEM Cobra, or the Cobra R in regards to center bore diameter, but I have no experience with the Mach 1 wheels.

Do not have Machs yet trying to decide between Ford 17x8 pull offs or 17x9 aftermarket

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]I have run the SVO & the 94-98 rear end setups on a couple of Foxes and I have had good luck with both the 17 X 8 30mm offset and the 17 X 9 with a 24mm offset. Both work well and look good IMHO.

that's the kind of info that helps!!!!!!

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]I don't believe there is any difference in front track width when adding the SVO, Mark VII, or Ranger rotors to the stock spindles and control arms, but I might be wrong. Either way any change will be negligible IMHO. If using the 86 spindle you will still most likely have to run a spacer for strut clearance anyway.

Why did SVO's not have to run a spacer with a 16x7 +40mm offset 5.65 backspacing....very close to the same as 17x8 +30mm

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]Adding 94/95 Spindles to a Fox with stock lower control arms you will add 0.120" per side or @ 1/4" of overall track width. The SN95 spindles are designed for a control arm that is 3/4" longer than the OEM Fox control arm, so adding them will cause your camber to immediate become more positive by 1.7 degrees. You will need CC Plates to be able to adjust the camber back for a proper alignment. Otherwise you will want to consider swapping to the SN95 lower control arms, but that will limit you to an 8" front wheel without major fender modifications.

I already have a few sets of CC plates if needed & I decided to leave stock lowers. If I decide to go with SN95 lowers everything should clear good and look right? What obstacles would I might encounter.....looks pretty straight forward to me.

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]IMHO the SN95 parts are the better option. It gives you more brake options if that interests you and sometimes better parts availability. The SVO brakes are a good setup, but you have to run the system as a complete system for best braking performance and overall balance. I am installing the entire system from a 1986 SVO onto my 91 GT, because I have all the parts and I want the 5 lug swap and I know that ultimately I will sell the GT and I am keeping all my SN95 parts for my 4 Eyes!

I already own a complete SVO set up but I am liking the SN95 option the best also. I really like the way my 98' drives, its much better than any fox I have ever driven. To the best of my knowledge the only difference is the track width from the parts we have mentioned. I have it in the back of my mind that these improvements will have my 86' driving like my 98'. I assume that I can install cobra rear end and non-cobra front rotors and be fine since rear calipers are the same for cobra and non-cobra? I would need to install new m/c tho

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]Hopefully I answered all your questions at this point. I am sorry for any rambling, but I am being bombarded by my wife and kids right now, so my focus . . . Well You know what I mean!

yes sir!!!!!

[QUOTE=wraithracing;1781303]Here is the only picture I have of my PC right now. This is several years old, but the wheel/tire setup is still the same. Also keep in mind that I have 03/04 Cobra brakes front and rear as well as the Cobra IRS in the back. I am running a 17x9 with 24mm offset up front and a 17x9 with 36mm offset in the back due to the wider IRS track width.

PC stance looks great!!!! Do you ever have any rubbing on you outside wheel openings? I am going to do the math asap to see where my track width would be if I went SN95 all the way around using the lower front arms and the 17x8 wheels. What springs are you using? you look lower than my 98'

thx
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-14-2016 at 10:42 PM.

SVO rear end is 62.04".

1994-98 Mustang rear end is is 61.04".

The above numbers are from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. They are NOT track widths.
    Last edited by Jack Hidley; 02-15-2016 at 05:07 PM.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Wait a minute. I'm planning on swapping the SVO/Mark VII rear brake setup to SN95 this year. Does that mean I'll need SN95 axle shafts too??!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Nope. You will need SVO/Lincoln axles which are a different length than the SN95 early, late and Fox axles.

Just say no. Use all SN95 parts.
    Jack Hidley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    SVO rear end is 62.04".

1994-98 Mustang rear end is is 61.04".
    Do you happen to know SVO front track width? Was SVO track width same as my 86'? SVO rim is a 16x7 +40mm 5.65 backspacing Mach1 17x8 +30mm 5.68 backspacing. My math tells me Mach wheel would be +.11" inner and +.89" outer than the SVO factory set up. Also curious what track width would be with SN95 spindles and lower arms on my 86?....I have read the 86' has different kmember.
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-15-2016 at 08:05 AM.

The SVO uses a different lower control arms and spindles than any other Mustang/Capri so you can't really compare apples to apples when it comes to the front suspension and how everything fits. SVO K member is also unique to the SVO too so that adds another issue.

As for track width it should be stock 86 track width plus the @ 1.18" per side for the control arms plus the @1/8" per side for the spindles. I believe the stock track width is 56.6" IIRC, so that would be around 59.2 if my math is right, but I might be wrong as it's early and I still haven't finished my coffee.

I will try and double check later today. OK I didn't get it checked, but Jack corrected me!

Trey
    Last edited by wraithracing; 02-16-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Control arm difference correction
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Nope. You will need SVO/Lincoln axles which are a different length than the SN95 early, late and Fox axles.

Just say no. Use all SN95 parts.
    That's what I plan to do, the car currently has the SVO setup though. I plan to remove the SVO brakes and install SN95 ones. Will the SN95 brakes not work with my current axle shafts meant to work with the SVO brakes? My assumption is no, and I will need to swap axle shafts, I just want to make sure. Thanks!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The SVO uses a different lower control arms and spindles than any other Mustang/Capri so you can't really compare apples to apples when it comes to the front suspension and how everything fits. SVO K member is also unique to the SVO too so that adds another issue.

As for track width it should be stock 86 track width plus the @ 3/4" per side for the control arms plus the @1/8" per side for the spindles. I believe the stock track width is 56.6" IIRC, so that would be around 58.34 if my math is right, but I might be wrong as it's early and I still haven't finished my coffee.

I will try and double check later today.

Trey
    Great info thx. What will my track width be if I install the sn95 spindles and lowers on my 86' Kmember? Would it be a good option to install the SVO Kmember, spindles and lowers? I have all parts except kmember and spindles and I know where I can get those. I am still liking the sn95 option the best, just making sure I look at ever option available and what would be best for my car. thank you for offering to get those numbers later today. I have yet to find numbers anywhere about front track width that I fully trust.....I have read enough of your post and verified your info to be my measurements also.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Wait a minute. I'm planning on swapping the SVO/Mark VII rear brake setup to SN95 this year. Does that mean I'll need SN95 axle shafts too??!
    I assume you already have a Fox Mustang 8.8 in your car, no? If so then upgrading to '94/'95 SN95 bits is a piece of cake. Just get '94/'95 SN95 axles and caliper brackets as the housing is exactly the same. That's my plan with my Fairmont.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I assume you already have a Fox Mustang 8.8 in your car, no? If so then upgrading to '94/'95 SN95 bits is a piece of cake. Just get '94/'95 SN95 axles and caliper brackets as the housing is exactly the same. That's my plan with my Fairmont.
    That's what I assume it is. It's definitely an 8.8 though. I think maybe the housings are all the same between Fox body cars (Mustang, SVO, Mark VII, T-bird, etc... ). It currently has the SVO/Mark VII disc brakes on it though. That's why I'm asking if I need to swap out the axle shafts for some from an SN95 in order to swap to SN95 brakes. That's a possibility I'd never thought of, but it certainly seems plausible. If the SVO/Mark VII brakes/axles widen the rear track that much more, no wonder I had so much trouble fitting wheels on the rear. It always seemed like I was having more trouble than other F/Z people, but I imagine most guys go to SN95 style if they want rear discs. I had another 1/2" per side working against me!

Anyway, I want to dump the SVO brakes in favor of the SN95 setup because of ease of finding parts, better braking performance when coupled with my SN95 front brakes, and I've had some reliability problems with the SVO brakes.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Brad,

Yes, you will need 1994-98 axles

or

North Racecars caliper brackets with Fox length 5-lug axles.
    Jack Hidley

See my edited post #7 above.

The 1986 Mustang has a front track width of 56.6". With wheels that have a 0.88" offset. Overall width is therefore 58.36".

The SVO Mustang has a front track width of 57.8". With wheels that have a 1.75" offset. Overall width is therefore 61.3".
    Jack Hidley

Brad,

Yes, you will need 1994-98 axles

or

North Racecars caliper brackets with Fox length 5-lug axles.
    Alright, thanks! You saved me from a pretty frustrating day when I would have discovered that! Another interesting piece to the Fox body puzzle. Sorry to hijack the thread.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

See my edited post #7 above.

The 1986 Mustang has a front track width of 56.6". With wheels that have a 0.88" offset. Overall width is therefore 58.36".
    The SVO Mustang has a front track width of 57.8". With wheels that have a 1.75" offset. Overall width is therefore 61.3".
    yes sir, read the #7 edit. I knew those numbers must be mounting surface to wheel mounting surface because of axle length

Thx great info. Do you happen to know the width using my 86' kmember with the SN95 94/95 spindles and lowers?

THX Jack Hidley Maximum Motorsports Tech Support..... says a lot about your company. I checked out your website earlier, very impressed. Will be contacting you very soon about a project I will be starting. Have always been a straight line guy but going to give something else a try. Will be purchasing parts from you with out a doubt, I love good tech support and you use yall's products on your Mustang. Due you prefer phone calls or email dealing with sales?
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-15-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Interesting! So, my suspicions were correct in this case. That works out to 45mm offset for the SVO wheels, the same as S197!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Factory 1994-2004 FCAs move each front wheel out 1.18" compared to a stock 1979-93 FCA.

The 1994-95 spindles move each front wheel out 0.12" compared to the stock 11" brake Fox spindles.

"Due you prefer phone calls or email dealing with sales?"

That question is so funny, on so many levels, that I can't count that high. I suggest reading the MM Contact us page. I could answer you now, but you wouldn't get the full effect without reading the page below.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ContactUs.aspx
    Jack Hidley

[QUOTE=ZephyrEFI;1781432]That's what I assume it is. It's definitely an 8.8 though. I think maybe the housings are all the same between Fox body cars (Mustang, SVO, Mark VII, T-bird, etc... ). It currently has the SVO/Mark VII disc brakes on it though. That's why I'm asking if I need to swap out the axle shafts for some from an SN95 in order to swap to SN95 brakes. That's a possibility I'd never thought of, but it certainly seems plausible. If the SVO/Mark VII brakes/axles widen the rear track that much more, no wonder I had so much trouble fitting wheels on the rear. It always seemed like I was having more trouble than other F/Z people, but I imagine most guys go to SN95 style if they want rear discs. I had another 1/2" per side working against me!

Axle length/ second measurement is (axle length x 2) + .750= flange to flange measurement
    1979-93 29.16"/ 59.07
    1994-98 29.91"/ 60.57
    SVO/Lincoln 30.41"/ 61.57
    1999-04 30.63"/ 62.01
    The .750 you add is for the diameter of the differential pin inserted between axles. These measurements do not include the rotor thickness per side.

Add rotor thickness for each side plus wheel offset to above measurements to achieve track width.

Your SVO set up is the second widest. You will gain 1/2" per side of outside clearance with the SN95 upgrade assuming you keep your same wheels.

Thanks. People told me to dump the SVO brakes way back when I first bought this 8.8 that already had them. I guess I shoulda listened!

I do plan to keep my SVO wheels. I'm committed to them at this point!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Factory 1994-2004 FCAs move each front wheel out 1.18" compared to a stock 1979-93 FCA.

That question is so funny, on so many levels, that I can't count that high. I suggest reading the MM Contact us page. I could answer you now, but you wouldn't get the full effect without reading the page below
    http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ContactUs.aspx

"Factory 1994-2004 FCAs move each front wheel out 1.18" compared to a stock 1979-93 FCA."
    "The 1994-95 spindles move each front wheel out 0.12" compared to the stock 11" brake Fox spindles."

Thx for figures as soon as I have a break from work I will check all my measurements and see where it puts me when I add 1.18"+.12"/side.
    Its really looking as if I will like the placement of the factory Mach1's with Sn95 at all corners.

I am in the telecom industry for a living.....I could afford more parts from MM if you would stop with all the emails!!!!

"That question is so funny, on so many levels, that I can't count that high. I suggest reading the MM Contact us page. I could answer you now, but you wouldn't get the full effect without reading the page below. "http://www.maximummotorsports.com/ContactUs.aspx

A lot of truth in that page of reading....and a lot of test drives
    Last edited by jazdill; 02-16-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Post #11 Trey states "stock 86 track width plus the @ 3/4" per side for the control arms plus the @1/8" per side for the spindles. I believe the stock track width is 56.6" IIRC, so that would be around 58.34"

Post #21 Jack states "Factory 1994-2004 FCAs move each front wheel out 1.18" compared to a stock 1979-93 FCA.
    The 1994-95 spindles move each front wheel out 0.12" compared to the stock 11" brake Fox spindles.

Your 94/95 spindle math is pretty close at an 1/8" and .12" per side

Lowers I am confused why your measurements of 3/4" and 1.18" per side are so different? Are there two different SN95 lowers from 94-98?
    I thought only 99-04 where different.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast