Close

Default 84 predator gt starting issue

Hello gents! I'm having a starting issue with my 84 predator gt 302. The car has a 5 speed manual gearbox. Ok, the car STARTS and RUNS perfectly. However, I am only able to start it by jumping the starter solenoid. I just replaced the ignition switch and it failed to fix the problem. I'm stumped! Safety neutral switch? The starter solenoid has also been replaced. Help please, I'm not electrics-savvy!

The neutral safety switch is at the top of your clutch pedal, or actually over where the quadrant is,. If it's not closing, that would keep it from cranking over.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Do you hear the solenoid click when you push the clutch in and turn the key?

lets see some pics of this predator, is it registered

No, I do not hear the solenoid clicking when I push the clutch and turn the key. Is the neutral safety switch that clear hard plastic piece underneath the dash? Also, I'm not certain if the car has been registered or not.

Holy cow!!!!!! Are you the original owner or did u just get this I knew of the car?

Sorry didnt mean to interrupt your thread. Hopefully we can get the issue figured out for you...

Hey thanks man. No, I'm not the original owner. My dad was the original owner! He bought it brand new off the showroom floor in 1984.

Sweet man I hope you cherrish that car and keep her as orginal as possible!!! Hope fep can figure out what's going...

I'm not changing much.. I'm keeping the originals of the few parts I am changing however. I'm not changing anything aesthetically. Also I'm not doing a Concours d elegance restoration or anything like that.. I'm just a 22 year old kid trying to put his dad's car back on the road for not only me but for him as well. Anyway.. I'm beginning to wonder if it's a wiring issue rather than a component issue. I was almost certain it was the switch bc where the metal and plastic came together on it was coming apart. I bet the insulation on a wire has been rubbed off. Argh where do I begin

Ya wiring can be a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by PredatorGT View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  42.3 KB
    OOHHH man! A tan predator...... Definitely need to post a picture thread in the show and tell section so we can derail that thread!

I would personally start with the neutral safety switch and associated wiring and work back from there. If you can start it manually, you have effectively bypassed the safety and that's likely why it started. I would test the switch first and if it is functioning properly, you have possible wiring issues that will need more attention.
    Last edited by 84StangSVT; 02-11-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    Brock
    1984 Mustang LX Convertible 3.8L V-6/Auto (SOLD)
    1984 Mustang GT Hatchback 5.0 V-8/5 Speed

I'm an FEP Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

I hate working under the dash of this thing... I'll check the neutr safety switch after I get home from work. Y'all will know if it was the problem or not bc if it wasn't I'll be back! Thanks for all the info guys... This car WILL prowl the streets once again!

FEP Supporter

I hate working under the dash of this thing... I'll check the neutr safety switch after I get home from work. Y'all will know if it was the problem or not bc if it wasn't I'll be back! Thanks for all the info guys... This car WILL prowl the streets once again!
    Take the time and take the front seat out. That will give you a little less contortioning to do to get under there. I don't know how many times I thought "I'll just leave it" and in ten minutes wishing I had.

Good luck.

Hopefully you will be back whether you fix it or not.....preferably fixed. We must know more about that car.

Darran (82GTforME) has a very good point. Pull out that seat, you will thank him for that piece of advice.
    Brock

I hate working under the dash of this thing...
    It's even worse when you need reading glasses to see what you're doing. I recall a co-worker once telling me he wished he could have eyes on the ends of his fingers to see what he was working on up under a dash

Good luck getting her going.

That's the thing! The seats ARE removed. Maybe because I'm 6'1...

FEP Supporter

That's the thing! The seats ARE removed. Maybe because I'm 6'1...
    Well, that is a different challenge then!

I like to wear my headlight to ensure I get a good look and not be blind. It also helps to have a tool runner (which I never seems to) to get tools you need so you don't have to get out as much
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  84.1 KB alright tell me, this HAS to be the culprit. I believe one of the reasons why my dad parked the car is bc it wouldn't start with the key. Here's what I think: the neutral safety switch went bad. He tried to bypass the switch with this botched wiring job lmao! So unlike him... Of course he was a lot younger at the time tho haha! So what do you guys think? I did notice the wires dangling when I first attempted to try to start it with the key but I didn't think much of it.. I thought it was cruise or something. But upon closer inspection... Aha! Lmk what you guys think. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The switch looks OK, but you'd need to check it for continuity when it's supposed to be closed. Then you'd want to check to see if the wires are actually making contact under those wire-nut connectors.
    Actually, I'd check the wires first.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Could it be that the wires are crossed? They're supposed to have connectors I'm sure. Sorry like I said before I'm a DUD when it comes to electrics

From the pictures, it appears that the wires are put back together with their respective colors but it is hard to say what else had been done to try and bypass it. The red wire with blue stripe looks pretty suspect, it doesn't appear to be seated very well in the wirenut. I would take the connections loose and check the switch for continuity when pushed and see if it is making contact. If it is not, the switch is either not good or out of adjustment. If continuity is good, something in the wiring circuit is messed up. When you put the wires back together, at a minimum, use insulated spade or bullet connectors which would be much better than a wire nut.
    Brock