Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I am a concours guy. I also am on concoursmustang.com

First let me say - I love all cars. I really do. I like Original, Modified, Restored, In progress, etc.

MCA has a class for all.

I enjoy the concours most because it is the most difficult. I have spent over 28 years chasing down NOS parts. I look just about everyday.

I welcome someone scrutinizing my car like at a MCA event. The judges do not get enjoyment tearing down someones car.

We get enjoyment helping someone make their car better. If I got docked points because something was not right I would so appreciate it. Tell me how to make it better.

I LOVE bluemax's attitude. He has the right attitude! Most people at a MCA event want their car better.

I want a car that I judged when it wins a Gold award - it could win a Gold award with anyone judging it.

The cool thing about a MCA concours class is that you go against the rules not a First, Second or Third prize.

I do not want to hand out Gold awards just like water. It weakens the class. A Gold car means something. That is an honor.

A great book that is a little dated and not Mustang specific, but most of the methods are the same for any car, is this. Highly recommended reading for those chasing a concours class.

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Top-Fligh...t+%2B+corvette
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 02-16-2016 at 01:19 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is there is enough room in this hobby for everyone and their particular interest.

Concours isn't for everyone and inevitably someone will end up with a trailer queen due to the amount of time and effort spent and the amount of time to detail it if driven.

I appreciate all levels of interest and ownership and find the hobby is more fun that way as opposed to a tunnel vision view of only one style.
    Well said!
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I just found this thread because I picked up a numbers matching high mileage 1993 mustang and was doing some research on whether to restore it. Very interesting points of view. Good discussion. I am leaning towards an as close to original restoration as I can get, but the bodywork needed is daunting. I saw a thread and I can’t remember where about a guy who does fox restorations almost exclusively. Post up his info if you know of him. Maybe I’ll hit the lottery.

There are several of those types of restorers around the country....where are you located? There are two right here in Indy that do VERY meticulous concours restorations on Fox Saleens.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

I thought about it and I remember where I saw his story. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to have my car restored to original whether I do the work, most of it, ir leave it to a pro. Enjoy reading Dan’s story:
    http://foxstang.com/restoring-fox-body-mustangs-dan/

FEP is mentioned in the article so I assume members are familiar with his work.

BTW I live near Philadelphia, PA.

Some of the cars in that story look like Christopher Lott's cars...the Regatta Blue Predator in particular?
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

The work looks top notch and fox exclusive, which is the reason I brought it up. I like all of the cars in that feature. Chris is a lucky guy to have such a nice car if it is.

Some of those are Chris Lott's cars. Others are Dan's personal cars or others he has restored for other people. dlgourn (Dan Gourn) is the member here.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Some more of Dan's work on a 83 Dominator

Name:  DSC06838.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  DSC07226.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  161.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3165.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  119.3 KB
    Last edited by 83GTJIM; 10-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Would you cut up a roller or buy the after market panels and patches? I definitely have to do my floorpan.

I believe they now have the full foxbody floor pan available. Personally I plan to go with that on my next project. Since this is in the Restoration Thread and specifically about Concours Restoration I would have to say cut up a roller to get most pieces. We cut up an Arizona rust free roller to get the correct OEM pieces for the 83 Dominator pictured above. It had quarter panel damage, wheelhouse damage and some roof rust so it was much easier and better to just use a donor. Get a good donor though and listen to the experts. If you are going to take it to the top level, find someone experienced and take their advice (as well as the people on here). I took one of my cars to KC Grand National and entered in Concours trailered- it was pretty intimidating but in the end it was very enjoyable. Its not for everyone but if you love the details and originality, then there is no better place to be.
    MCA #110307
    "Saved" 25k mi 83 GT - http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ght=Wrecked+GT
    83 GT T Top
    83 GT Convt
    84 20th Anniversary T Top GT350 SOLD 11/17
    84 GT Convt SOLD 08/18

Not sure I can achieve “concours”. However, every crappy panel on my royal blue 1993 mustang lx hatchback is original as indicated by the little vin stickers. The buck tag on the core support matches. The 184,000 mile engine has a partial vin that matches the car. I had to do an axle seal and found the original tags on the differential, and the gearing matched the door decal. The odometer goes to six digits because of NY state law at the time the car was produced. The airbox is intact. There is just quite a bit of “original” on a 24 year old car which is why an as close to original restoration sounds appealing to me. Original faded oxidized paint as well.

WOW! that's some crazy work replacing the roof and whole drivers side.
    1 of 3 1985 Silver Grand Prix Capr's
    My first New car and still own 1986 Capri

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123