Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Car Cover questions

Just finally found a nice low mile 85 GT. Any recommendations on a good quality car cover. It will only be used in the garage for dust etc. but I want one that fits correctly, not some generic tarp looking thing. Anyone have any to look at or stay away from! Thanks,

FEP Power Member

You get what you pay for. Skip anything under$200. I have 8 different ones and several have been worn out. I probably have bought close to 15 different covers. I prefer ones I can wash. Shop for the features you need.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

i have used this one on a couple cars and they are made to order, they even have the hole for the antenna and pockets for the side mirrors. they are on sale so ill be ordering one for my convertible 1984 GT350 convertible.
    http://www.costco.com/Coverking-Xtre....11618901.html

Pics of your new car? We love pics.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Here it is. I just got it home yesterday! I have been looking for an identical to the one I bought new in 85. I finally found it. 85 Gt with 18k miles. Identical to my original except my old car had premium sound. This one is all original except for the hood scoop. This site is awesome I have been reading posts for hours. Seems like a great bunch of people. I am really looking forward to getting some old vintage Motorsport stuff like I had back in the day. It seems hard to find but I know its around. I still have all the receipts from back in 85 for everything I bought. I plan to keep this stock except for the gears, an H pipe, and a shifter. Then maybe some Motorsport accessories if I can find them. Thanks for looking! Name:  85GT.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  59.7 KBName:  85GT2.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  143.6 KB

Great looking car!! Where in Boston are you located?
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Smitty I am in Taunton right next door to you.

Cruise nights every other Thur, April-Oct, @ Gillette. Maybe I'll see you there one night.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I'm using the Covercraft Dustop for indoor.
    It IS custom fit, not universal. One of the few I found that fit my Saleen well.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-cove...0A2617447.aspx
    Discount code "LOVE 20" gets it down to $183...

Name:  snooze.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  89.6 KB
    1986 Saleen #145
    now 50k miles - still 98% original.

I'm all for helping the helpless, but I don't give a rat's ass about the clueless anymore.

Previous: 79 Cobra, 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 Twister, 85.5 SVO, 86 GT, 87 GT, 91 Saleen, etc....

Rick, I do go to Gillette several times a season. I will make a point of looking out for you. I am looking forward to driving the 85 up there this is going to be my new favorite cruiser. You definitely do not see a lot of the four eyed Foxes around here that have not been beaten to death or cannibalized.

Thanks for the tips on covers guys. I would rather buy one that someone has had good luck with so I will definitely look up your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by HCBERICH View Post
    Rick, I do go to Gillette several times a season. I will make a point of looking out for you. I am looking forward to driving the 85 up there this is going to be my new favorite cruiser. You definitely do not see a lot of the four eyed Foxes around here that have not been beaten to death or cannibalized.

Thanks for the tips on covers guys. I would rather buy one that someone has had good luck with so I will definitely look up your suggestions.
    I usually get up to Gillette 3-4 times per season when the weather is nice. There are several other people here on FEP that also meet up there. I agree with you that it's very hard to find a decent four eye here in the Northeast. I was lucky when I found my 84 vert 4 years ago. Keep us posted with any of the mods that you have planned.

Pete, ( Hissing Cobra ) here on the site, plans a convoy of cars that travel to Mustangs Unlimited in Hartford Ct for a car show every April. He usually gets 10-16 cars to go along with him. It's usually a great day and a nice way to start off the season.
    Last edited by smitty54; 02-08-2016 at 11:27 AM.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    You get what you pay for. Skip anything under$200. I have 8 different ones and several have been worn out. I probably have bought close to 15 different covers. I prefer ones I can wash. Shop for the features you need.
    This exactly! Plan to spend between $250-300. I prefer the material called Noah...most of the big names offer it (California Car Cover, Covercraft, etc..) Noah is a great cover for indoor dust protection but also works well for the occasional overnights outside while away at events. I have five of them now and swear by them. California Car Cover has been my go to.

One thing about a cover - if you are going to spend $250+ on a custom fit cover, then treat it like you just spent $250+ on it! I am amazed at the the amount of people I see pull their cover off at a show, wad it up and stuff it on the ground under the gas tank. Dust & debris being introduced to the underside of the cover will be the cause of the next series of scratches and swirls you find on the car Get a storage bag and ALWAYS put it in the bag when off the car.

Treat it right and you should never need to wash it. I've only had to spot wash mine once or twice....I just do it on the car and let it dry out as if it got rained on.

BTW...if it weren't for the hood scoop I would be doing a double take in my garage right about now to make sure you didn't take mine! I think mine will hit 17k or 18k this summer, and I have those same modern Goodyear Eagles. Nice find!

Heck...I would think I have enough points to earn a free cover by now
    Last edited by sowaxeman; 02-08-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    Jason Smith
    MCA #65481

'82 Capri RS Resto-Mod
    '88 #400 Saleen Coupe "Mean Machine" Legal Guardian
    '93 LX Yellow/Black Summer Feature - 2,800 Mile Original Survivor (Foxtoberfest 2019 Best Original 87-93)
    '05 S-281 Mineral Grey

[QUOTE=sowaxeman;1780058]This exactly! Plan to spend between $250-300. I prefer the material called Noah...most of the big names offer it (California Car Cover, Covercraft, etc..) Noah is a great cover for indoor dust protection but also works well for the occasional overnights outside while away at events. I have five of them now and swear by them. California Car Cover has been my go to.

Thanks, I will take a look. BTW The original rims and Gatorbacks came with the car. They are all wrapped up and put away. Great shot of your garage. I have a bunch of older stuff but I am just getting hooked on the Fox Bodies. I can see myself with a couple more.

Thanks again for the cover testimonial.

Great looking car. Desirable and popular model. Glad you are getting to re-live a piece of your past.

Being involved in Mustang Club of America, I am always encouraging people to bring their cars to these events. There are several on this forum who are regulars at MCA shows. There is a classification for everyone, including display only (i.e. non-judged). But if you are really into showing your car and improving it, a judged category is the way to go. And....

An 18K car is likely VERY show-worthy, if it has been reasonably taken care of. We really need more four-eyes at these shows! The nearest show to you is in Buffalo July 22-24. That's a pretty long haul for you but you might be interested. I am available to answer questions.

Post more pics when you get a chance. Congrats.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Hey Everyone!

My wife bought a cover for me at the Carlisle Ford Nationals last year. T. I. G. /Cover-Up Enterprises. www.cuecovers.com.

1-800-268-3757

They have many materials to choose from, colors, and other options.

My cover fits the Capri fine but I had to make the hole and install the grommet for the antenna.

They also monogrammed it in red that sort of matches the red piping in the seats.

If you plan to store it outside make sure it will resist UV and shed water well.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

Fantastic looking '85GT!! Congrats on the purchase!!
    '85GT Bright Atlantic Blue
    '92LX Bimini Blue-sold
    '93 COBRA Teal Metallic-sold
    '86SVO Oxford White-sold
    '86GT 'Vert True Blue-sold
    '81'GT' Medium Red-sold

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on picking up your new 85, funny how things go in ebbs and tides...I think thats how thats stated, anyhoo...this must be the year of a lot of us picking 85s, last year it was the year of the 86s....so cool. I remember seeing that one when I was looking for mine, it was a very nice car and can't go wrong with a super clean Black 85 GT. As far a covers, you've gotten a lot of great advice from the fellas above. I tend to only get super weave lightweight covers these days. the modern technology of these covers make them an incredible option. They are water repellent and protect against UV which are tough on our cars. I use one called the weathershield. but...they are pricey, a few hundred dollars....and you will never regret spending that much evrytime you pull the cover off and it looks exactly like when you put it on.

Great looking car!

As for covers, My personal choice is the Covercraft Duststop for my cars .
    My Mustang lives indoors and my other cars live outdoors.
    The fit is specific to the car and they fit great. They have mirror pockets and and fit like a glove. Soft on the inside and breathes well.
    I have bags to store them in when they are not on the cars.
    I have used them occasionally outdoors with the cable locks and they are great...even when it rains overnight.
    I got mine out of Georgia and when I mentioned I was in a Mustang club, they took about $100 off the price. I paid $179 in the end.
    Rob

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by javdog View Post
    i have used this one on a couple cars and they are made to order, they even have the hole for the antenna and pockets for the side mirrors. they are on sale so ill be ordering one for my convertible 1984 GT350 convertible.
    http://www.costco.com/Coverking-Xtre....11618901.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    Great looking car!

As for covers, My personal choice is the Covercraft Duststop for my cars .
    My Mustang lives indoors and my other cars live outdoors.
    The fit is specific to the car and they fit great. They have mirror pockets and and fit like a glove. Soft on the inside and breathes well.
    I have bags to store them in when they are not on the cars.
    I have used them occasionally outdoors with the cable locks and they are great...even when it rains overnight.
    I got mine out of Georgia and when I mentioned I was in a Mustang club, they took about $100 off the price. I paid $179 in the end.
    That Costco deal is great. Even with the dollar exchange that is waay cheaper than the $240+tax on the Canadian site

I could use a nice one someday, but I found a decent one on Kijiji and another generic foxbody one on the local Mustang club classifieds for pretty good deals.

FEP Power Member

I have a Duststop and it works fairly well. It does not provide much padding for any bumps in the garage.
    Weather shield is good for outside use but it will cost you double.
    The Stormproof cover stitching fell apart after the warranty.
    The Weathershield cover fell apart after the warranty was up.
    The Sunbrella cover stitching felll apart before the warranty was up and Autoanything took car of it.
    The layered fabrics which resemble paper towels fall apart in 6 months.

Currently my favorite is the one as supplied by Ford for my wife's 2014 CS/GT made by Cailifornia Covers. It fits the fox body fairly well.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

None of my superweave weathershields have fallen apart and I've had 6 or so of them. The one on my 85 is only stored indoors, but, on other cars that i have used outdoors with no issues. It's the same fabric as the 2012-2013 boss 302 ford covers. Maybe I've been lucky.

UOTE=KevinK;1780209]I have a Duststop and it works fairly well. It does not provide much padding for any bumps in the garage.
    Weather shield is good for outside use but it will cost you double.
    The Stormproof cover stitching fell apart after the warranty.
    The Weathershield cover fell apart after the warranty was up.
    The Sunbrella cover stitching felll apart before the warranty was up and Autoanything took car of it.
    The layered fabrics which resemble paper towels fall apart in 6 months.

Currently my favorite is the one as supplied by Ford for my wife's 2014 CS/GT made by Cailifornia Covers. It fits the fox body fairly well.[/QUOTE]

FEP Power Member

The Weathershield HP seems to be the same one supplied by Ford. It's a great outside cover, light weight, washable and drys quick. It offers no padding protection as it looks more like a Nylon material. A little slippery for a one person install. I have one on my 67 as well.

My experience has been that they only last as long as the warranty with outside use. Inside, probably forever.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

slippery...

now that right on the target...they are PAINFULLY slippery and tough to get on by yourself with a car that has a lot of wax on it

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    The Weathershield HP seems to be the same one supplied by Ford. It's a great outside cover, light weight, washable and drys quick. It offers no padding protection as it looks more like a Nylon material. A little slippery for a one person install. I have one on my 67 as well.

My experience has been that they only last as long as the warranty with outside use. Inside, probably forever.

In stead of a cover, I hung a "curtain" all the way around my car in the garage. Used PVC pipe to make a big rectangle the (the size of the car) and suspended it from the ceiling. Then sewed together canvas and netting and hung it from the PVC frame to make a continuous wall around the car. Since the cover goes from floor to ceiling, it removes all temptation (or possibility) to put anything on the car. And keeps the damn cat off the car as well !

FEP Supporter

I picked up this one off Kijiji for $20 a couple of years ago. They said it was for a fox hatchback and it seems to fit that and the coupe. There is no hole for an antenna either. It seems durable and is in real good shape. Not for an outdoor cover that I can see, but the price was right for what I use it for

Name:  IMG_9350 Car Cover (1).jpg
Views: 96
Size:  128.1 KBName:  IMG_9350 Car Cover (3).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  101.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast