Close

Default Cheap clutch disk

All I have to say , I am done with buying cheap parts from anyplace . 2004 Ford Ranger clutch disk ,2years old ,broke backing out of the driveway on Saturday . I was going to put the mustang back together this weekend Name:  20160207_141902[1].jpg
Views: 133
Size:  70.0 KB and you know the rest . lol

Looks like it got that way over time and was not an instant failure.
    My brothers 94 Ranger 4.0 had that happen. I told him to stop down shifting to slow down and use the brakes.

The center part that slides over the shaft is held in place by nylon. The nylon broke or snapped .Cheap parts , I went to 3 different auto parts stores and all the kits they had used the same clutch disk D10147. One autoparts man said what cheap crap . So I went on line and ordered a good clutch kit payed more then twice the price of a cheap one .But worth it in the long run get what you pay for they say.

Unless I know something else is better, I will only use factory original clutch parts. Learned this the hard
    way, putting up with clutches that never quite worked as well as they should have, and never lasted as
    long as they should have.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

man that thing looks mint like you babied it too. did you talk with a clutch company, like ram?

i'm hard on the spring pockets because i tend to (up and down)shift without the clutch like a truck driver when i'm just moping around. makes the spring pockets get like this:

in my case ram had a solution that still allows me to drive like i want to. instead of four springs, i get 8 polycoils, ie: no spring pocket wear.

i did something similar to what you did to a disk:

but mine was caused by cheapy rivets(and abuse). as the rivets stretched, the disk parts got looser. eventually the part above got loose, wiggly, and caused it to strip the center of the disk out. the car just stopped moving, like it was always in neutral.

you might think about contacting a company like ram to see if they know what caused and how to prevent what you had happen. they helped me. i never particularly liked them before my issue
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.