Close

Default T-5 fifth gear noise

Hey all,

Any thoughts and opinions on the T-5 fifth gear? Seems often when shifting into it, the synchronizer protests a little but no drivability problems. And not the first few shifts, at least not until the thing warms up a little. If there is a delay between fourth and fifth when shifting, the grind doesn't happen. In other T-5 GTs I've owned, there was a similar problem. This one was rebuilt about fifteen years ago and runs great but sometimes grinds, but only going into gear.

Thanks.

New User

New to the T-5 trans myself. Have done alot of learning about them. Have been told of the shift fork problems that they all have. 4th to 5th sychro is a new problem I have not heard of. If you are sure you have no clutch issues. I would think internal problem with your trans. Have found a guy in PA. that is super helpful and can give you great info. Check out Hanlon Motorsports. 610-469-2695 or hanlonmotorsports.com. Bob Hanlon or Mrs. Hanlon will answer and can help you out!!

Been reading up and the only potential problem area for me would be the fifth gear synchro but I must admit my shifting these days is not the best. I've noticed the occasional grind into fifth only within the past year and it is not always present. My car is stock and I don't drive it rough but I do enjoy it. Not wanting to break it I may be too easy on the shifting these days. But operation is perfect. I'd say likely I am to blame at this point but as this has happened on other cars with the T-5, and when I was younger, it maybe a new bad habit forming. I'll dig some more but this forum is great for info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic82 View Post
    Been reading up and the only potential problem area for me would be the fifth gear synchro but I must admit my shifting these days is not the best. I've noticed the occasional grind into fifth only within the past year and it is not always present. My car is stock and I don't drive it rough but I do enjoy it. Not wanting to break it I may be too easy on the shifting these days. But operation is perfect. I'd say likely I am to blame at this point but as this has happened on other cars with the T-5, and when I was younger, it maybe a new bad habit forming. I'll dig some more but this forum is great for info. Thanks.
    i don't shift easy. i break stuff, i fix stuff, etc.. are you saying it grinds driving it like an old lady or it grinds when you rush it? IMO there is NO reason to rush one of these into 5th because when i'm beating on the car i shift out of 4th at around 110mph, and that's with a 4.10 gear.

if it grinds driving it gently, change the synchro. 5th is brass. it's easy, all you need to remove it the tail shaft, and you can find it for under $15.

example, which is just the 1st one i found:
    https://www.astroperformance.com/pro...ings-5th-gear/

you might also find some chips or burrs on the teeth for 5th and normally i just smooth them and get on with life. (:
    Last edited by rob342; 02-04-2016 at 04:08 PM.
    i have a 1992 GT, 4.10, 5spd.

I did read up that the fifth gear synchro is brass and that could be an upgrade. I only use fifth gear on the highway, not for around town. Folks drive too slow for fifth gear. I don't force it into gear but it would be nice if it went into fifth as easy as the other gears. Seems that if I delay the shift ever so slightly, it goes in just fine. But the sound is the synchro not the gear. I want to take care of the thing. Kind of wonder why Borg Warner/ Ford went with brass when the other synchros are better material. Then again, fifth is used the least as I just mentioned.

New User

Don't think you are the problem! No matter what we still have to fix it! HAha! Sounds like with everything working like you say,that the 5th snychro may be weak. If you want to prolong repair. Keep doing like you said and wait on trans before going to 5th will help. Still take time to call Bob Hanlon, Will let you know what is needed without the BS!