Close

Default Leak in my Oil Pan Gasket

I've a leak in the gasket on my oil pan. It's an 84 302. My mechanic says the engine has to be pulled to replace the gasket. Is this true? It seems a little excessive to me to just replace the gasket.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

I though it could be done in the car if you jacked the engine up as high as it would go and put some 2x4s under the mounts. Maybe lower the cradle some.

Been a while for me though. It is really not that much more time to pull it. Gives a good reason to reseal the whole thing and clean it up if it is out.

Then future issues are resolved all at once.
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

I've heard you can support the engine from above, then drop the front sub frame. That would give you clear and easy access to the oil pan.
    1985 Mustang GT conv. modified 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, 2003 V6 T5, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT auto. PI swapped. Daily beater

Pan gasket can be replaced without pulling the engine, but it's way more work. I can do the job in
    less than half the time by pulling the engine, even with giving the engine bay a good wash down.

Fox engine pulls are really pretty easy.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

X2. I can pull a efi v-8 in just over an hour if the exhaust bolts aren't too bad. Less if they have been cleaned.
    2 1986 cougars (both 4 eyed and 5.0)
    1 1987 cougar

Pull the engine. I helped a guy do a in car oil pan gasket replacement many years ago and it was a severe pain in the butt. Way easier to pull engine and like the others have said perfect time to clean/paint and replace other lines and what not at the same time.