Close

Default new distributor now knocking and missing motor

Hi there. I am new to Fords But not to engine building. Chevy mostly so Fords are backwards to me. The rotor bug was eating into the dizzy cap so I figured the dizzy bearings were probally worn and the new dizzy was cheap enough so replace it. 85 gt 302 5 speed. I brought #1 to tdc and checked timing marks. Old dizzy out , new one in. Gears looked good, both distributors looked identical next to each other. started motor and have miss and knock. 140000 on motor. what happened. did the cam just not like the new dizzy? Any help on this would be appreciated. Its not 180 out or not timed . Thanks in advance

Did u use a compatible gear on the dizzy? '85 5 speed from the factory is a roller cam motor which needs a steel cam gear.
    ‘86 GT Vert, '89 LX 5.0

yes. new distributor has a steel gear

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Hmmm
    It may be possible when you pulled up and out old dizzy you happened to pull oil pump drive shaft out of pump there is a retaining ring preventing this but is possible it wasn't on old shaft (that's a knock possibly)

The rotor was eating the dizzy cap ? Got pic
    Maybe wrong cap there is a big cap small cap but I doubt this is what your saying so pic will help

Pull dizzy out and see if oil pump shaft is in the center of hole

Is dizzy seated all the way on its base ?

Gotta check these things with a fresh look in morn before work. Thanks

Silly question: did you use standard 302 firing order or HO 302?

Mike

What cylinder did you bring up to TDC passenger side ? Driverside?

Firing order comment above is a good question as well

If your rotor was eating the dizzy cap and you mentioned bushing wear ,That would be something I'd like to see a pic of i heard about this in ford distributors

these are within degrees of accuracy to properly do there thing it being off like what's described may be the result of the new knock sound your hearing

Was this a running engine when you swapped to the new distributor ?

I can't believe it was and if it was it seems that it would be running not so clean and smooth

After checking things the shaft was dislodged and of course after trying to fix this it is now laying in the bottom of the pan. Like I said I am used to sbc's and this was just new to me . I always seem to learn thru my goof ups more than anything. the old dizzy was so bad that if you pushed even a little on the cap you could hear the rotor hitting the cap. With that large air cleaner on the gt motor it was a problem needing addressed. oh well, the pan has a good sized dent in it from a p.o. so I needed to change that anyway. good thing I enjoy working on these ol cars. Hey maybe new cam. heads while I'm at it ....... we will see. this is how it always starts, one small fix and next thing I know I'm in a full restro. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by 85 gt Joe View Post
    After checking things the shaft was dislodged and of course after trying to fix this it is now laying in the bottom of the pan. Like I said I am used to sbc's and this was just new to me . I always seem to learn thru my goof ups more than anything. the old dizzy was so bad that if you pushed even a little on the cap you could hear the rotor hitting the cap. With that large air cleaner on the gt motor it was a problem needing addressed. oh well, the pan has a good sized dent in it from a p.o. so I needed to change that anyway. good thing I enjoy working on these ol cars. Hey maybe new cam. heads while I'm at it ....... we will see. this is how it always starts, one small fix and next thing I know I'm in a full restro. ha ha
    Welcome to the club! Once you start you cant stop lol
    "I'm a mental patient, I'm suppose to act out!"

Some of the oil pump drive shafts don't have the pressed on retaining ring
    And sometimes like you are aware it comes up and out with the dizzy

Unfortunately this drives your oil pump from cam gear to dizzy gear to your drive shaft to your oil pump

I'm afraid if it's knocking there's a good chance it will continue after you get it all back together (no oil pressure shaft wasn't turning pump)

Nothing to be ashamed of learn as you go sort of thing that's how you learn and progress

The cap issue has me puzzled a tad there is a cap and lower plastic portion that the cap snaps on and this lower portion is clipped on to the dizzy base with 2 spring clips that come up from the side maybe these are broke or missing or not clipped

If you push on the cap and you can hit the rotor this will cross fire and create all sorts of fun I would assume

I know how a small fix can turn into a 6 year project very easily

The quicker way to fix the dizzy issue is drop water pump and timing chain cover this will open up the front of the oil pan and you could possibly grab the oil pump drive shaft out with magnet or ??? Get creative

Rather than lifting motor up and over K member then dropping pan and unhooking everything that goes with that fun stuff

Good luck glad to hear you gave up on Chevys j/k