Close

Default Upgrading my 1983 ford fairmont rear end

I have a 1983 Ford Fairmont Futura coupe with a 302 5speed, it has the original six cylinder rear end. I want to install a Mustand rear end with 5 lug drums, what year Mustang 8.8 rear end would work best?

Any 8.8 will work, but to have 5 lug drums you will have to do some changing.

If your car has the 9" rear drums, they are the same as what was used on Mustangs, so the regular Fox
    Mustang 5-lug drum conversion will fit. But if your car has the 10" rear drums, there are no 5-lug versions
    of those, so you would have to get them re-drilled. The Mustang 8.8 rear is otherwise a bolt-in deal.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

what changes will I have to do to use a 8.8 /5 lug drums

FEP Senior Member

Two right side aerostar axles both drums, a left and rt side backing plate and some effort.

You can also use two left side ranger axles and all of the same parts off the ranger.

I used the aerostar as they have larger brakes. I used the brake line off of the 7.5 r/e. I did do some mods to it, just can't remember.

One of the things you want to do is install new bushings in the r/e. When I un bolted my upper and lower control arms I found I needed new bushings also. Now is a good time to put aftermarket poly bushings and control arms. Your choice.

Good luck. Pretty easy job.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"