Close

Default 1983 Export Convertible 302 4 speed

G-Day from Australia ,
    I have recently purchased a 1983 Fox Mustang Convertible 302 4 speed , I need help to id this model the Buck tag has EX (Export) where the model should be !
    Has this Mustang been ordered by someone in Australia direct from the factory ?
    Regards. Elsey61

Have you tried to find the build sheet ?

I remember a 5.0 Convertable in an issue of Australian Street rodder about 1985ish., hooked in amongst aan XP Falcon Hardtop 170 to 302 repower with an Adrain Sleydmeyer body weldin kit. The Stang was in a black and white photo, but looked red with a white or cream roof. TRX wheels of course.

Ford Australia or perhaps Bob Matic imported it. Normally, Aussie imports go via Canada, but you'd be supprised how easy it is to get a Mustang via "Autorama", Faspacs "Ford Asia Pacific" wing. All Jap imports were done as LHD cars, sent to Japan, then they were easy pickups for grey export to Australia if they didn't pass the shaken (two year inspection). Queensland was a n easy state to register, some other states were a problem.

Is there a DSO number?

Any pictures?

Thanks for the info
    Last edited by Elsey61; 01-31-2016 at 06:53 AM.

The only thing i have is vin and buck tagName:  IMG_20160103_175658.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  349.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you post a pic of the buck tag? Car has been repainted, but has the door tag been painted over or removed? Can you post a pic of it?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Hi , Yes it has been repainted , no sign of the door tagName:  IMG_20151230_190329.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  66.9 KB

That is a GLX model. I know this for three reasons:

1. The CUN (last six of the VIN) is too low -- the lowest GT convertible is in the 19xxxx range
    2. There is no "GT" stamping on the buck tag (it would be at the beginning of the fifth line, i.e. below "PS" and above "ELECTRIC")
    3. The molding code is "RM" (rocker molding) instead of "BR" (black rocker) -- all 1983 GTs have "BR"
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 02-01-2016 at 07:25 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    131039 = 31,039th 1983 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    CVT = Mustang 2-dr convertible
    F = H.O. 5.0L V8 engine
    277 = Bright Red exterior paint color
    WHI = White convertible top color
    DF
    ST
    PS
    AC = manual air conditioner
    01 = rear glass without defrost (not available on convertible), no rear wing (not available on convertible)
    EX = export
    S = speed control (cruise control)
    RM = rocker molding
    DL = power door locks
    MOD = manual overdrive transmission (Tremec 4-speed 'SROD')
    01 = no hood scoop
    V = visibility (light group)
    ELECTRIC
    -N = Opal and Medium Red interior trim color
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks Foxchassis
    I am more interested in the fact that it was not model coded and how many were ordered from Australia with these specifications.

In 1983, only the GT and Turbo GT were model coded on the buck tag, with both having the code "GT" stamped at the beginning of the fifth line of the tag. The L, GL, and GLX were not model coded on the buck tag.

How many were ordered to be exported to Australia would have to be researched through Marti Auto Works. That would be an hourly charge to tell you what you want to know. The more specific you get with options the more time it takes and the higher the cost is.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks FoxChassis , i will contact Marti Auto Works for more info .