Close

Thread: My 2 84's

Default My 2 84's

Haven't been on this site for very long but just wanted to share my 2 84's. The red hatchback only has 25k miles and my convertible has 63k. Both of these beauties are basically unmolested. The hatchback only has wheels and tires replaced with cat back exhaust. The convertible has wheels and tires, strut brace, and exhaust. It was also ordered with no a/c, power windows, and power locks. Hope you like them. They are definitely getting hard to find in this condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Welcome to FEP! !!!!! Cars looks great!!!

I love the grey convertible...more pics please.

Welcome to FEP!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

Very nice 84's! Welcome to FEP.

I hope the rear soft rear brake line has been relocated when the exhaust was dual'd.

Thanks for all the kind words. I'm not sure about the brake line. Never heard of that before. My previous Mustang was an 88 Convertible that came with Dual exhaust. More info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks

Default more pics of grey conv

Name:  024.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  94.6 KBName:  020.jpg
Size:  119.9 KBName:  015.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  137.2 KBName:  012.jpg
Size:  124.4 KB

Default My 88 before I sold it.

Name:  88.jpg
Size:  113.1 KBName:  88_1.jpg
Size:  85.5 KBName:  88_2.jpg
Size:  119.9 KBName:  88_3.jpg
Size:  171.0 KBName:  88_4.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  107.9 KB

Ford put the brake hose that went from the body brake line to the rear axle brake line right on the passenger-side of the axle assembly. When Ford went with dual mufflers and tailpipes on the 1985 GT, then extended the body brake line to the driver-side of the driveshaft tunnel and moved the brake hose to the driver-side of the differential housing. The brake house is not anywhere near the tailpipe. Many people that converted single exhaust to dual don't extend the body brake line or move the brakes hose to the center of the body, and therefore leave a hot tailpipe very close to a rubber brake hose. Not a very good idea.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for the info. I will need to check that when I take them out after winter. What's the best way to fix them if they are to close?

Welcome to FEP from another 84 vert owner.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Nice 84s. That 88 was sharp too. Can't go wrong with a dark charcoal 84 GT!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by pmazzo View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will need to check that when I take them out after winter. What's the best way to fix them if they are to close?
    Convert the body brake line crossover (where it goes from passenger-side subframe to driver-side driveshaft tunnel), brake hose, bracket, and axle brake line to 1986-93 5.0L Mustang parts.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Ford put the brake hose that went from the body brake line to the rear axle brake line right on the passenger-side of the axle assembly. When Ford went with dual mufflers and tailpipes on the 1985 GT, then extended the body brake line to the driver-side of the driveshaft tunnel and moved the brake hose to the driver-side of the differential housing. The brake house is not anywhere near the tailpipe. Many people that converted single exhaust to dual don't extend the body brake line or move the brakes hose to the center of the body, and therefore leave a hot tailpipe very close to a rubber brake hose. Not a very good idea.
    This sparked my interest. I just happened to have a close up photo on my phone of my rear passenger wheel well from a light restoration I did last year. Sure enough the stock rubber brake hose is in its original location right next to the exhaust pipe. The PO did not move it. And when I say right next to it I mean like within an inch. Been thinking about upgrading the brakes and going with Cobras and rear discs. This just may seal the deal for the upgrade.

This is the best Mustang site on the internet. Thanks.

Nice looking 84s by the way.

Here's the photo for reference. Hope it helps.
    05 Corvette Z51

Very nice cars, welcome aboard.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Great pic of the hose. When it gets warmer I will need to climb under both of mine and get a good look. If I hadn't been on this site and posted this stuff I probably would have never known, at least until I lost my brakes. Thanks for the info.

FEP Senior Member burntorange84's Avatar

Check out this search link below. JACook has given a lot of advice and dangers of not relocating it on lots of threads. You may find a post or two from me how I have used an 86 and up hard line ( and soft) and kept the 7.5 axle. I also used the hard lines on the rear diff to be just like an 85 up dual exhaust conversion. Looks factory. Others have just used a longer hose and tied it out of the way or used custom hard lines to move it to the center.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/search.php?searchid=475344

hope this helps!

-j