Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead Capri View Post
    The trouble is that we are facing our mortality. I was thinking of this last week when I was sitting the Capri hooking up sirius xm and Major Tom starts to play. I feel 16 again in the car listening to the music but catch a glance of the tired 46 year old man staring at me in the mirror. We know as our heros have moved on we will follow.
    46? You're a pup... just turned 53 today! Damn... the years keep cruising by faster and faster...
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Love this stuff. And its just my opinion. YRMV...

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    It isn't just that classic rock folks were great players, they were great Artists. Music today has become too much about manufacturing originality and technicality. But is it human, passionate, does it have something that sticks in your craw. Albert Collins once said, in his day there was a group of musicians around the microphones. Today we have great recordings of a performance that never really happened.

Not to discredit the Self Marketing and Artistic Genius of the Man,,,but he kinda had to be that way, in doing what else would he have found solace?. Bowie was, I guess is just an item of stunning lustre , and he was so very clever, not ignorant, despite (or maybee because) of his wild recreational pursuits. Iggy is still alive! And there are scratches on vinal that poclaim David Bowies imortatily.

But instrument swapping and muscial skills was a 1352 gittar pickers thang, and the UK cats coppied your US music. Led Zep and all hard rock britons played together, drank together. Listen to dirty 30's blues and skiffle togther. Typical of the way the Poms use 240 days of the year to work, and 125 1/4 to do parties, have fates and moan about the price of grog (look at the midlands F1 industry and how they made IRS Jags with prewar Standard blocks and imported Salibury diffs).

They saw whutcha don't, but used your stuff.

Team building was a Frank Zappa thing, who sussed out that if you pull out the drugs, you could still harness a bunch of rouges, just fire em out or up, and play absolute crap but fully according to his script. It was a 100% digital pi$$ take on the culture, they called it vulgar. They siad the same about DB.

A Frank Zappa redo of Starway to Heaven was a total mess up, but Dweezil does Zappa is just fan blQQdy tastic. But I love his old man totally . All 65 albums. And Abba. All 72. But it still sucks compared to what the sons and daughters of some greats can do. And all because of the creative jiuce, if it exists, and hasn't skipped the generation, its a corporate proprty thing that can screw your life over like what happened to Jimi Hendrix. A totally preventable death.

Bachman Turner Overdrive sang about you aint seen nothing yet, but dangit, Tal Bachman - She's So High is a total epic stunner that is perfect in every aspect. And what Leigh Nash does would take other greats to the cleaners. I'll bet she's great on the first take...

One Headlight by The Wallflowers prove Bob Dylans smarts. Widsom in made known by its children. But they get no respect.

Remember, without moderation, rock takes its toll. Bowie was practically locked in a monastery because he was always kinda 'different'...different because he listened to stuff others didn't. What Frank Zappa called "Dirty black rockin roll". So Davey "Saw stuff inside it others didn't. "

I gotta say, it was plagised, as the whole creative process was interwoven with other UK rock greats. If the UK was the US, or worse, Australia, Bowie would have been done for stealin songs. The Noughties got silly, and Men At Work got taken to court over Living In a Land Down Under being a Walzing Mathilda knock off. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20...28188030.shtml

I hang with guys who drank grog at the same bars, and if that kinda crap continued, they'd try and do a "posthomas sue" of many Rock God Anthems.

But in terms of the 'John the Baptist' role model, I'd say without a doubt, Bowie saved Mike Jagger and Iggy's lives by being the first freak on on stage!

So any way, just be aware that there is Bowie, but somewhere right now is a crazy young(er) guy who will out do his efforts, however signifcant. And his god like stature will be miniturised. And that is Trent Reznor. Anti social and awesome. My son goofed off to a Josh Homme/Brody Dalle and Trent Reznor/ How to Destroy Angels conert in 22 March last year CBS Canterbury Arena.

Now I didn't know that lad went to Christcurch to see the concert, I was so mad he didn't take me, cause I love Stoner Rock and Kyass. My son Ashely said it best concert, and that Josh Home and his act wasn't a picture on Trent. He said it was an epic spellbinding concert, and was like night comaped to day. HTDA kicked QOTSA front mans buthole that day, but they weren't competing.

Now, my son loved and still loves Bowie. I love Nine Inch Nails. I'd have biked the 227 miles to see that concert, but I was working night shift....

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    46? You're a pup... just turned 53 today! Damn... the years keep cruising by faster and faster...
    Tell me about it! I'll be 62 next week.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

'nuff said....
    Name:  ledzepvsnicki.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  51.8 KB

I got nothing, enough said.

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Power Member

So the guys in Zeppelin were singing to a woman one of them loved. While Minaj is a raging narcissist who was looking in a mirror when she wrote those lyrics. That or someone else sent Minaj a note and she was stupid enough to believe they were selling her song lyrics.

Yeah, which person would make the better parent? Robert Plant or Nicki M...

I really like Hip-Hop Hooray
    Naughty By Nature

Where did Hey...Ho...Hey...Ho.. come from?

nothin' but homage to da homies at 5 -1/4 minutes on Whole lotta love...

I like NiCkis reaction to J Lo...when your selling over 15 million records, it can be way better than the old Weiland vs Matt Sorum stoush.

That's why I love the instant message age, heaps of juicy info and cannon fodder. David didn't have to master that, he was a typical Englishman, asked Iggy if he could use the track. Total cataylst in the music process.

“David was not a person to waste a piece of music: Never waste an idea. I first heard his 1980 song ‘Scary Monsters (And Super Creeps)’ when we were in a house on Sunset Boulevard in 1974. It was called ‘Running Scared’ at the time. He was playing it on the guitar and wanted to know if I could do something with it. I couldn’t. He kept it and worked it up.

“That was another big thing I learned: Don’t throw stuff away.”
    And thats the incestuous nature of English rock! One act begats another. Where do you think Kiss got its stage get up from?

Its a little bit like the initally English Lola/Ford GT40 program giving the French the Coloti gearbox which ended up in the Citroen SM and Lotus Esprit, and then the ZF gearbox for the Mangusta, Pantera and Maserati Bora. Great having friends that are just along for a Total Performance ride!

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Yeah, which person would make the better parent? Robert Plant or Nicki M..
    I don't know?(or care) My post was in regards to lyrical content, hence the comment. She sells a lot of records, no doubt(not to me though).

Agreed. In terms of lyrical content, all those guys had the X factor. The problem is the content has to be understood, and as the years roll on, it makes the young uns scratch there grey matter a lot more than the newer stuff.

And Robert Plant is the correct default answer for anything for a rock purist. Problem is, Robert is still alive. Bowie was immortal before he died.

Really just trying to introduce a little levity to a grave subject. I know there were terrible lyrics written in the '60's-'70's, etc, and there's some great lyrics being written today. It's our mortality we're facing here because a lot of us grew up listening to these musical giants. I remember when this music was new. We'd go out and buy the albums as soon as they were in the record bins. That's why news of their passing hits so hard. As for Robert, his time is gonna come. Nobody gets out alive.

And the 'rock star' lifestyle doesn't really lend itself to 'good' parenting, lol.

Default Rock Gods (still) inspiring a new generation!

Now that's talent!!

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

The pace of their falling seems to be quickening. Alas.
    Robert

1986 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 -red
    1985 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - red
    1985 Capri 5.0L - black
    1984 ascMcLaren SC 5.0 - white
    1984 Capri GS (w/ 5.0) - white
    1983 Capri RS Crimson Cat - red
    1982 Capri RS Black Magic - white
    1982 Cougar wagon
    1982 Mustang GT - red

Remind me to stop setting up these video conferences...there not very productive....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5ZU3TGf7Iw

I wounder who pulled the strings?

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Paul Kantner, Jefferson Airplane co-founder, has died at age 74
    A minor addendum to Kantner's death: Signy Anderson, a much nicer human than the woman who replaced her:

http://www.kgw.com/entertainment/por...at-74/28340103

Mike

Default Devo Guitarist Bob Casale Dead At 61

Name:  1035x1029-casale-1800-1392747951.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  34.7 KB

Devo guitarist Bob Casale, who played with the group alongside his brother Gerald from the original incarnation of the groundbreaking Akron new wave band in 1973 all the way through their recent tours, died suddenly on February 17th of heart failure. He was 61.

Full story at Rolling Stone

Blog Entries

We also recently lost Jimmy Bain who played with Dio and founded Hear n' Aid...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Bain

2016 ain't lookin' good.

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

I'm 47 and have been a die hard music fan since I was 11 years old. That's the time my sister introduced me to both the Eagles and the Rolling Stones. The Stones really though, are the ones that started it all and they've become my favorite band of all time (I even have their logo tattooed on my arm). From there, I turned into the typical teenaged "head banger" when I first heard Def Leppard in 1983. From there, I went into that whole Los Angeles guitar craze which began with Eddie Van Halen and followed with George Lynch of Dokken, Warren DeMartini of Ratt, Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osborne, and many others. In my early 20's, that whole Seattle "grunge craze" engulfed me and Pearl Jam (my favorite of that era), Nirvana, Sound Garden, and even the supergroup Temple of the Dog (members of Pearl Jam & Soundgarden) became my new music. Since then, the only new band that has really caught my ear is 3 Doors Down. I can't really listen to the new stuff other than them! As I morphed into middle age, I've become adept at going back in time to experience other singers/songwriters and bands that were huge when I was a kid but didn't get into them because I was too young and unaware at that particular time (although I heard a lot of this stuff as a kid and did like it). Bands from the '70's such as the Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash, and Peter Frampton are now in my catalog and I'm loving every minute of it!

All of these guys are in their 50's or older now and anyone of them could keel over and pass away, either as a result of their former hard living ways or of natural causes such as cancer or a heart attack. It's sad to see them go and it gives me a wakeup call because I'm not too far behind them. Glen Frey's passing last week really got me down. He simply wasn't supposed to die, at least that's the way that we perceive it. Someone like Keith Richards to be alive is truly amazing, especially the way that he punished his body for all of those years. But, at the end of the day, the good lord will call you when it's your time to go - whether you abused your body or not.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

I'm going to be 43 soon and still remember jamming on 8 Tracks & Albums on My old Emerson when I was a kid. That led Me to Being a Musician for most my life now. Started Playing Guitar when I was 10 years old because I loved 60's, 70's Rock Bands. That led me to Playing Bass by the time I was in my 20's. By then I was into 80's and up Metal. Played Many, Many, Many Gigs though out the years. Now I play Drums also. All Because the music was good and attracted me like Like a moth to a flame. I like Most Music in many styles, but I can't stand Gangster Rap. I just Don't. The Legends will always live on through the Music. I even had to watch The Labyrinth again when I heard about David Bowie.

Another Jefferson Airplane alumni has passed, Signe Anderson, the original female vocalist.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-74-20160131

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

Rough year so far...
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Quote Originally Posted by gmatt View Post
    Earth Wind Fire, one of the all time greats.

Default Twilight of the Rock Gods, Indeed...

Keith Emerson, has passed at age 71

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...at-71-20160311

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast