Close

Blog Entries

Default Just picked up an LTD Police Package from a member

Made a road trip down South yesterday and picked up this LTD Police Package from Chris. Ex Washington State car, in really decent shape. Runs stops and drives good. Looking forward to making her over with a bit more get up and go.

Only pic I've taken so far, this was on the trailer heading home and it was cold and windy -

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  62.1 KB
    Last edited by downtime!; 01-22-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Just trying to be accurate
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Congrats on the purchase. I gave Chris a little info on it...

it is in a group of 77 consecutive 1985 P39M VINs and it is the 62nd in that group

FYI: It's a "Police Package", not an LX. It can be one or the other but not both.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Blog Entries

Good info to have, thanks FC!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. I gave Chris a little info on it...

it is in a group of 77 consecutive 1985 P39M VINs and it is the 62nd in that group

FYI: It's a "Police Package", not an LX. It can be one or the other but not both.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Blog Entries

Not much to see yet, but here's a few more from after cleaning her up a bit today. Changed the oil, flushed the radiator, gassed her up, took her for a good shake down run. Everything works as it should. Hot heat, cold a/c, wipers, washer pump, etc. The only thing that doesn't work is the under hood light, and it may be unplugged, haven't traced the wire yet. The only real work that needs to be done is possibly a replacement steering rack. Seems to have a dead spot in it turning to the right at low speeds, but only sometimes, where it feels like to pump just stops working for a second. Other than that, all is good.

Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Looks killer! Glad it went to a great home, and it was good to finally put a face to the name!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Blog Entries

Absolutely! And that orange truck is still the 2nd coolest thing in the garage.

With all my previous Mopar dealings, I think I've found a cheap way to do the 15" wheels and keep the poverty caps. I bought a set of Wheel Vintiques style 63 wheels for my last Challenger and they look exactly like the 14" wheels on there now, just in 15x6 and 15x7. Checked a hub cap this afternoon and they fit like a glove. Just need to gather the parts for the 5 lug swap and she'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 02Z06 View Post
    Looks killer! Glad it went to a great home, and it was good to finally put a face to the name!
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Very cool! Excited to see what it turns out like with the big steelies!

That Orange truck was definitely cool - I was sad to see it head to a new home but it's on to the next one!
    Chris Lott
    '81 Cobra T-Top - Black
    '85 Dominator GT - Black, 24k miles
    '85 Predator GT302R #150R - Light Regatta Blue
    '85 Predator GT302 Convertible #119 - White w/blue stripes For Sale
    '86 Texas DPS Mustang (Unit # unknown) - undergoing resto

Default everybody's buying SSP's

[QUOTE=downtime!;1776142]Not much to see yet, but here's a few more from after cleaning her up a bit today. Changed the oil, flushed the radiator, gassed her up, took her for a good shake down run. Everything works as it should. Hot heat, cold a/c, wipers, washer pump, etc. The only thing that doesn't work is the under hood light, and it may be unplugged, haven't traced the wire yet. The only real work that needs to be done is possibly a replacement steering rack. Seems to have a dead spot in it turning to the right at low speeds, but only sometimes, where it feels like to pump just stops working for a second. Other than that, all is good.

I had almost as good luck as you with my SSP buy, also from the northwest, Medford OR. Seller had done' a great job to get it running, except for a rotten heater core. did that fun job. and am now trying to decide on interior repaint, to keep it budget. The paint cleaned up pretty well after 20 years in a meadow, retaped the red pinstripes, PlastiDipped the headlight buckets and door and mirrors trim. Seller had put 10 holes on it which looks ok. Next is, like you, gather up the 5 lug conversion and put some 17's on it. Anybody know if it is worthwhile to do a heads, cam, EFI conversion to get up over 200FTLBs? Or just wait and do a proper 4.6 swap? I have an 01 Z06 track car, so I know next to nothing about FOMOCO. Looking forward to learning lots from this board.

Blog Entries

It's still a basic 5.0, so the H/C/I stuff is still valid. I'm going with a carb setup, so I'll have to delete the frame mounted fuel pump and use a pressure regulator with the tank mounted pump to get it down to usable range for the carb. I'm leaning towards a Blueprint 306 crate engine right now, but who knows?

A 4.6 would be a ton of fun. I think a 3V swap with a 3650 trans behind it would work nicely. Of course, a Cobra or Mach 1 swap would be a lot of fun too, just a bit more money.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

Redneck Riviera, Fort Walton Beach Florida

Pretty sweet looking car, good buy.
    1985 LTD LX, Mach1 brakes, 17" Mopar police car wheels. 302, T5, 4.10s
    1984 LTD station wagon, with 84GT nose, some might remember it as the old Dugan Racing station wagon.
    1986 FHP coupe, stock shortblock, TW heads, Holley SMII intake, 4.88, T5Z
    1990 Red LX, ported AFR heads, TFS-R box upper, weenie cam, 1 3/4 long accufabs, 3" exhaust, T5, 4.56

Blog Entries

Thanks David! Yours has been one of my favorites, it and a few others actually helped me make the decision to buy one.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

It's cool that it is in Texas now
    How does it look underneath ..
    Last edited by Forever; 06-18-2016 at 08:25 PM.
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    If it's cool that it is in Texas now
    How does it look underneath ..
    Nothing bad at all actually. It's a little dirty still (cold and rainy, haven't had time to give it a good cleaning), but from what I can see there is no rust at all. Floors are solid, took all the trunk panels out and solid in there too. Nothing along the bottoms of the door either. Car is built like a tank compared to a standard Mustang or Capri. Feels like a whole different chassis.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

How is the car now ..
    Have you done anything to it ..
    Is it your DD ..
    I'm holdin on your rope, got me 10 feet off the ground

Blog Entries

I tuned on the CFI for a while and got completely frustrated, LOL! Took it to a friend of mine who is a "real" mechanic (unlike me, true shadetree status!) and he got started on it. So far, he double checked all sensors and replaced what needed to be replaced, put in a new timing chain set (at least 156,000 miles, so this was a safe bet) and then gave her a full tune up. She now starts, runs and drives like a brand new car. All the little hesitations are completely gone and she will spin the tires just punching it from a stop. Really is a completely different car.

He is now replacing all the a/c hoses with new barrier style hoses in anticipation of the R134 conversion. They seemed to be harder to find than I imagined they would be, but he located a source that makes them on demand and had a set shipped out. They should be installed this week, then we get the conversion done and she'll be back on home ground.

And yes, she will be my daily for a while. I'm in the midst of another mid life crisis and have decided to change change career paths. Again. I did logistics for the first 20 years of my adult life, then switched over to IT at the young age of 38. Now, after 16 years of playing big corporate games, I am completely burned out and ready for the next challenge. Something automotive related this time around would be nice.
    Last edited by downtime!; 06-13-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package

The Chrome Trim, is that stock on the Police Package? I would have thought that would be all black like the standard LTD LX.

Blog Entries

I'm assuming that it's stock. I'm the 3rd owner after she went out of service, and I know Chris didn't do anything to her, and it appears that the person who bought her after service just let her sit, so I'd imagine that's how she came from the factory. The roof mount light bar actually screwed into the drip rails, so I know that part is original for sure. Someone on here more knowledgeable than I on SSP cars would be better to answer though.
    Bryan
    1985 LTD Police Package