Close

Default Hope to build LTD

Planning (hoping) to build a Fox platform LTD. I wanted to build a Corvette powered Volvo wagon ala Paul Newman, but too difficult for first time build. Goal, 4.6 Mod motor, thumper cams(for fun sounds) , shorty headers, auto, bucket seats, all available chassis stiffeners, 8.8 w/ LSD, Cobra brakes, power brakes and steering. anybody with experience or tips or watch-outs, please feel free to email. I will search all the forums before asking more specific questions. If I can get half as good looking as LTDScott's, I'll be happy with my around town putter.
    Bobz2eight(number) @msn.com

Blog Entries

Howdy, and welcome!

Don't hesitate to ask questions. We've tried hard to prevent the "SEARCH FIRST!" declarations. Our main concern is bolstering people's enthusiasm for these cars to keep more of them on the road. It's especially great to see the lesser-known Foxes get some appreciation and interest.

Thanks for joining!

Welcome! Looking forward to following your build!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Coming along. Long pause in work as I ws looking to install LX cluster. EVTM not much help, but last night LTDscott turned me on to wiring schematics which may help.
    Mods to date: paint laguna blue, w ghost flames, all body holes filled
    5 lug swap(which gave me a flaming case of arthritis in the hands)
    Shorty headers to dual flowmasters
    Tubular rear arms
    New struts, shocks
    Camber plates
    Dual piston PBR front brakes, powdercoated
    Marquis taillight lenses
    (In boxes) lowering springs, SN 95 LCA's, tierods , tierod endsName:  before.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  104.6 KBName:  after.jpg
Size:  70.3 KBName:  delivery day.jpg
Size:  189.3 KB

Name:  PART_1489262064321_1201161808.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  84.2 KBName:  0323171944.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  97.0 KB
    Started with the GT rims to be the same as LTDScott's, but spoke windows didnt' show enough red calipers, so I borrowed these rims from the family ride Crown Vic, for now.

Looking good!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Lovely stuff, and welcome.

Heads up on wiring. Since Scott is an ex Australian, all of the South Antipodeans know that wiring dirgarms for EFI era Fords the world over are not just a crap shoot, but totally inadequate. In the 80'sand 90's, you could fit the 5.0 into our little Aussie 4.0 and 4.1 EFI cars, everything would even physically clip together, even the EECIV would have similar pinouts, but NONE OF IT WORKED. The from ECM to the hard clips would snake around and change even through the model year.

Anyone one using the factory US wiring diagrams from the EVTM or Haynes or will find they look like they will help you, but due to Fords "changes without notice", are normally totally wrong.

You'll spend more time finding exceptions than rules. Same with the Australian Falcons, Fairmonts, Fairlanes, LTD's and utility pickups.

Down here, Herrod Automotive cut its teeth on resuppling parts back to Ford in the 90's, including showing how Ford Australia could add a 100% imported US Cleveland plants GT or Explorer EFI 5.0 back into the 1983-1995 6 cylinder only Falcon Utility pickups. He personally found that you had to recheck what was on the car, and re-run wires to suit the "standard for the year" clips.

Ford even changes the box codes or whole EEC units through the year. In an Australian setting, they even went backwards from EECV to EECIV due to a problem running propane conversions. Since your car had a propane option, same weird stuff was going on...the CEL/MIL is just an oil warning light on your cars. Ford would change things, not willy nilly, but to avoid other problesm with things like the Voice Alert, the Trip Minder, or the now you see it now you don't Canadian non EFI versions of the base 3.8.

Underneath, it was an S car like the 1983 Tbird and Cougar, there is more in common with those wiring diagrams than a Mustang or Capri.

On EVTM's they have a part number in bold blue fon't for the clips, and they sometimes change. The wiring to and from the clip , or the clip itself, will have variation thru the model year.

Ask waithracing or ZephyrEFI about factory wiring diagrams on any Fox Ford from 1983 to 1986...they were totally at the mercy of new EFI/ EECIV wiring splicing requirements in the assembly plant, either external, or partly super imposed onto the old wiring loom. Ford then decided just to redo eveything on a case for case basis, which is why same year LTD's and Marquis have totally different wiring between years or models.

As other's have said, designed for production, not to be tracable. Doing earht continuity checks on standard 1984 EVTM is like looking in a black room for a black cat, that isn't even there....

Use the wiring diagram, but don't take it for gospel, or it'll wreck ya!