Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1980 Mustang Mint Condition

Please help! I posted an older four-wheeler on Craigslist for trade and was offered this. (Could probably sell the quad for $2,000-2,500) If you think I should take it, let me know and about what the Mustang would be worth how it sits. I've always liked fox body mustangs and I've got a 302 with a manual trans just sitting in my garage if I decide to keep it. It's a 1980 Mustang with the 3.3 I6 and a C-4 automatic trans. Pretty close to mint condition inside and out. Has 63,000 original miles, is a 1 owner with full proof/documentation of mileage and is 100% original and even has the factory belts on the engine still. It does have pony wheels on in the pictures, but it comes with the original rims and tires. It's not posted on Craigslist, but the guy texted me in response to my ad saying he bought this for his young son for when he turns 16 but he'd rather have a quad at his age. Described it as basically being a "barn find" and he said it sat in the original owners garage for 11 years at one point. I'll post the pictures up and you guys can let me know what you think. I just don't want to get burned if it's not worth anything or if it would be extremely hard to sell if I decided not to keep it. He said it runs/drives/shifts perfectly.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I don't follow the early foxes as much as 84-93, but, there are a lot of guys here that surely will chime in. I can tell you, atleast from what you've said, that car is worth 2-3k all day long as it sits. This is one of the most desired body styles and there is a very large market for them because they are so flexible. You can do anything with it. Its a major plus to have the original wheels, those ponies look horrible on an early fox like that, but, you could probably sell the ponies for another 2-3 bucks if in good shape. Best of luck, just make sure the car is in good running order and doesn't have any rust in the typical areas for these cars, under doors, under rear trunk lid, shock towers, and lower a-pillars are the usual suspects that will tell you more about how much rust the car has. what kind of original wheels does it have?
    If that the original paint, and its never been in an accident and has all original body panels, I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that someone might be willing to pay 3-4500 for it. It would be a plus if it came with the TRX sport suspension and the aluminum TRX wheels.
    that interior is stunning, deep colors are a good sign that it's been protected from the sun. Are those factory painted on pin-stripes?
    Last edited by vascj; 01-11-2016 at 05:31 AM.

Wow, you must be in Ohio? I think this has been on the Columbus CL for some time now. Personally, I'd trade in a flash as I think it's an awesome car. I'd also encourage you to preserve it just as it is. Just my opinion.
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

A 1980 I6 automatic with 60K on the clock....not worth much. Would make a great builder!! My guess $3000. Guys will pay that just to have a clean body.
    '67 Shelby GT500 428 4spd. (owned for 32yrs. SOLD 11/26/2011. A sad day $$$$. Pics in my album!

'83 Capri 5.0 4spd. ASC McLaren Sport Pkg.(1983 Indy 500 Speed Week Motorcraft sponsored parade car) Original paint. Pics in my album! (SOLD 11/11/2017)

'79 Capri RS 5.0 52,000mi. Total molestation! (1300 man/hrs.) Build Pics in 3 albums!

Yes it has original paint and the pinstripes are oringinal, just not sure if they're painted or taped on. And yes, I'm located in mid Ohio. I looked on Columbus CL after he texted me but I didn't see it anywhere. I'll have to ask him what the factory wheels look like. And like most of you, I also prefer the 1987-1993 foxes as I think they look a lot more modern and the engines only got better up to 93. With that being said though, I can't be too picky since I'd only have around $1,900 into it with my trade (that just sits in my garage collecting dust) and it's a pretty clean car and it sounds like I'd definitely get my money back if I decided to sell it. Plus I could make a few hundred selling the ponies. Do you happen to remember what he had it listed for?

Quote Originally Posted by dd284014 View Post
    And like most of you, I also prefer the 1987-1993 foxes as I think they look a lot more modern and the engines only got better up to 93.
    Think maybe you're a little confused about our site.

If you have $1900 in what you are trading, by all means that car is worth more than $1900 if it doesn't have any rust. Especially being a notch since so many people like those.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Does it have a sunroof? That car would be too nice to molest, it would make a great driver as it sits.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Whoops sorry Travis I've seen a few newer foxes on here but didn't realize the site was for mainly for early ones lol. Those are the ones I prefer but the nicest fox I've ever seen on Craigsist was a 1982. I like em all I just have my preference. And I believe so,he never said anything about it but I zoomed in on the roof and it definitely looks like it has one.

We have seen this car before. From the available pictures it looks to be in great condition, a Ghia, with attractive colors. Early Fox Mustangs in excellent original condition are quite rare. That does not necessarily equate to valuable, but it for sure is worth the dollars you are quoting. From my MCA judge perspective, I can tell you that one rarely sees one, despite the high production numbers. It would be a shame to do anything to this car but clean, maintain, and preserve it.

I'd love to see pics of the engine and undercarriage. I would probably learn some things. There are likely some original engine parts on this car I would love to have......
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

He sent me these too.

I'd take that car on the trade in a heartbeat.

I would pay 3-4K for a car like that in a min.
    Mustang Week Staff
    www.mustangweek.com
    1980 Cobra
    1981 coupe 6 cylinder
    1982 GT
    04 Lightning
    14 GT

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I would jump on it before he changes his mind!!! and don't forget to get the original wheels.

I I balieve the last time I updated this post he lowered the price to $2800. The CL add is now gone.
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...980-Ghia-Coupe
    88 Turbo Coupe auto
    88 Turbo Coupe 5spd
    79 Fairmont Futura 4.6
    79 Capri RS - 2.3/5spd restomod
    80 Capri 5.0/5spd project
    79 Zephyr Z7 factory 5.0 sunroof
    79 Pace Car 5.0/5spd project
    85 LTD LX factory 5spd?(not documented)
    86 GT conv 5.0/5spd
    79 Pace Car 2.3/4spd - needs new home

Quote Originally Posted by snkchmr View Post
    I would pay 3-4K for a car like that in a min.
    I agree. All original survivors in this condition are hard to find. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd love it just as it is.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Thanks guys I'm going to ask for a few pictures of the undercarriage, sunroof, original wheels, and shock towers and if all looks good then it will probably be mine sometime this week.

Love this car!!
    Amy MCA #81079 3rd generation gold card judge, 1993 Ford Probe GT
    1979 Cobra
    1979 Ghia coupe
    1979 5.0 coupe
    1980 turbo coupe
    1990 7 up
    1993 Yellow /black feature convertible 14k miles
    1993Yellow/black feature convertible AC delete
    1995 Cobra hardtop convertible
    1998 GT convertible

I love the car too. It looks amazing on the exterior and interior. I'd so drive it just as is and worth that trade all day long.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

The speedometer with the circled 55 caught my eye. I knew it had to do with the mandatory national 55 mph speed limit, but I had forgotten the exact timing and some of the details. Wikipedia refreshed my memory, here is a specific quote:

On September 1, 1979, in a regulation that also regulated speedometer and odometer accuracy, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) required speedometers to have special emphasis on the number 55 and a maximum speed of 85 mph (135 km/h). However, on October 22, 1981, NHTSA proposed eliminating speedometer and odometer rules because they were "unlikely to yield significant safety benefits" and "[a] highlighted '55' on a speedometer scale adds little to the information provided to the driver by a roadside speed limit sign.

The more I study these pictures, the more I like the car. Make sure you ask for all documentation.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by mustang4life1985 View Post
    I love the car too. It looks amazing on the exterior and interior. I'd so drive it just as is and worth that trade all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by roush235 View Post
    The more I study these pictures, the more I like the car. Make sure you ask for all documentation.
    I really like the car also. It has a lot going for it in the very good, original condition it's in. The paint looks fantastic with that pinstriping! I also feel it is well worth the trade you are being offered.

Some observations:

-there was no picture of the heater controls but it looks like in the picture of the rear glass that it may not have rear defrost?

-the chrome trim on the dash bezels and trim looks pristine where most cars (even survivors) have it starting to dull and fade due to washing, rubbing or fading.

-what is the weird looking metal thingy in front of the master cylinder?

Good luck (trade) with whatever choice (trade) you make (trade)!

I'm in agreement with the the others. Take the car. I had a 79 notch and would love to have it back now.
    Previous:
    79 Notchback
    86 GT
    93 GT Convertible

Current:
    86 GT Convertible

It's worth what one is willing to pay for it. It's probably worth more in parts sadly, not that I would dare touch it in that way. I love it, I had a 79 and if I could do it all over again, I would still have it.

It does have a sunroof, and the shock towers and undercarriage are fine. It does have a minor amount of surface rust though.

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

surface rust on metal parts that are natural metal are okay on the undercarriage, you really can't prevent this from happening and just validates a lot of the originality of the car. As long as its just surface rust and not pitting, thats different. Typical rear, and dampener you will see this. With rust, it can't be causing the metal to bubble, that is not good, especially in body panels and door jams. Funny it was mentioned above about some of the plastic chrome pieces on the interior, I noticed that as well. typically the chrome on these plastic parts are worn off. This is a sign of a person that took good care of the car and used it with care. Even the clarity in the instrument cluster is a good sign.
    it's not a deal breaker, but, you really need to verify that this car is all original paint. It looks too good to be original. These cars just didn't hold it that well, especially the painted plastic pieces like the bumper covers. Some of the trim around the rear quarter windows looks high gloss? I don't know in these years whether its supposed to be like that or more of a satin finish like the later cars. Its had some moisture, most likely in storage, see the smog pump and wiper motor. best of luck and keep us posted if you get some more pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by dd284014 View Post
    It does have a sunroof, and the shock towers and undercarriage are fine. It does have a minor amount of surface rust though.
    Last edited by vascj; 01-11-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Underbody

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast