Close

Default 1979 Ford Fairmont Wagon 5.0 Build

Okay, so I don't really know if this will be a big build-up or not at this point. Right now, I just want to sort of catalogue how this car was when I got it in mid December of 2015 and I'll update it over time. I'm sure this has been done before so... yeah.

Alright so to start with, I bought myself a 1979 Ford Fairmont station wagon with only 80, 961km on the body and maybe less on the motor (I've been told it was engine swapped with a 5.0 sometime in the early 80's, though I have no way of proving it didn't come factory). I'm pretty young and have never done anything super mechanical with car engines before (though I did get top marks in shop class rebuilding lawnmower engines). I've got a predisposition for GM vehicles and trucks but when this deal came up, I knew I should at least give Ford a try.

It's pretty clean and was taken care of quite well by the old lady who bought it new back in '79. From what I've been told, she was a real go-getter and a big fan of aftermarket 'gadgets'. Such fine gadgets as an early backup warning system that uses a radar transducer, an aftermarket headunit from the 80's, a digital clock, headlight beeper, provisions for AC power on the interior (like an RV), third brake light and a CB radio with a public address system.

It's got a nice, big, smog-era 5.0. that produces a 0-60mph time of 15.3 seconds. Of course, I believe the speedometer is off by a bit so it may even be faster!

My goals for the car are to try and coax at least 300 horsepower from the old v8 and make it not so much of a granny-mobile (hubcaps are gone once I find some new rims...).

Here's some pictures of 'er from the day I bought it to Name:  IMG_0365.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  168.4 KBName:  IMG_0372.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  112.0 KBName:  IMG_0373.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  152.2 KBName:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  72.1 KBName:  IMG_0362.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  141.4 KBwhat it looked like last week when I finished cleaning the oxidation off.
    Last edited by kingleonidasll; 01-08-2016 at 02:36 AM.

Very nice Wagon!! Cant wait to see more!!
    95 Taurus SHO MTX-Sold. 92 Capri XR2 1.6 Turbo-Sold. 86 Mustang GT 5.0-Sold. 01 Focus ZX3-Sold.16 Focus SE 1.0L Ecoboost 6 Speed Manual-Daily 1978 Ford Fairmont I6 - Family Cruiser

Lucky find on a really nice start. My wagon is a turd, can't polish that.

Great job, shining 'er up! I recently did that to mine too! If you post your VIN, door, and buck tags, you'll find out of the car came with a V8 or not. If it's an '80, it would have been a 255 boat anchor anyway. Congrats on a great find, and I can't wait to follow this one!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Oh, yeah! Red Fairmonts Rock!

Mike

Thumbs up

Subscribed
    1968 mustang, 1986 mustang gt... One done, one still slow.

Never ever see any of those around my way ,,,,,,, neat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  IMG_0636.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  122.9 KBName:  IMG_0639.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  85.5 KBName:  IMG_0640.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  94.3 KB

Alright, I managed to get some pictures of the vin, door and buck tags. Maybe one of you will be able to make more sense of it than I can!

Does your wagon have one key that opens all doors and turns the ignition? I am curious to know because my wagon only came with one key. Wonder if all are this way.

Yup. Ignition key starts the car, opens the door and rear hatch. My car does require two keys though because it has a locking gas cap. Kind of funny because that specific one has Briggs and Stratton written on it!

Cool, where are the buck tags? I can't find mine. Also my door tag is hardly legible. Have you found a build sheet?

His appear to be where mine are on my Fairmont: directly above the passenger-side parking light.

Mike