Close

Default Getting my column shift to work with so many different parts

I have my 347 and c4 combo dropped in my 80 futura. The car is a column shift and I want to keep it that way. The car was previously a 6 cal with a c4. I have all of those parts. The car has a upr tubular crossmember. The way I understand how the column shifter worked was that there was a bracket that hooked to the stock crossmember for the column shifter. My question is how do I hook up the kickdowwn and shifter linkage. I have seen lokar performance makes a kickdown and column shift linkage for a c4. Anyone use one? If I used the lokar parts could I bypass the piece that bolts to the crossmember? Or would I have to drill the upr unit to mount the linkage?

FEP Member

If you are talking about the straight six, the bracket is attached to the rear of the inside frame rail, if I remember correctly.

I'm talking about what I should use now with the v8

You won't find any ready-made aftermarket way to make that column shifter work. You will need to start with
    the factory V8 brackets, and figure out how to make them work with your tubular K-member. The original V8
    brackets mounted to the front of the bellhousing at one end, and on the K-member at the other end. If you
    start with the bellhousing bracket in place, it becomes fairly obvious where the other one needs to be.

One other thing that may not be obvious is that the linkage on the transmission is different for column shift
    and floor shift cars.

The kickdown should be much easier, since nearly every aftermarket carb comes with a Ford WOT kickdown
    provision. It's just a bent rod that goes from the carb to the transmission, and the rods didn't change much
    over the years.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Yea I called lokar and they told me the same. Their c4 column shift won't work for my car. Another thing I noticed is that on my bellhousing there are no holes drilled for the bracket that bolts to it. On my 6cyl housing I had two holes drilled in the case for the bracket. I did however start to mock up my 6 cyl parts. The only hole I could attach the bracket to would be the one that holds the inspection cover in. It looks like it could work but I won't know until I bolt up a shorty header and really play with the linkage.

Yeah, that's another issue using the earlier small-bell C4. The large-bell Fox C4 used a larger, kinda dogleg
    shaped inspection cover with three bolts. Two of them, one down low like the early cover, and one higher
    up, were used to hold the linkage bracket.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

I found this company. I talked to them and they thought the cable might work. What do u guys think?

http://www.ididitinc.com/accessories...Linkage_Acc-23

Itried to buy off them......several weeks any many phone calls later I was finally told they had no cables so back to hand making my linkage.very time consuming.

I ended up using my 6 cylinder bell crank assembly. I had a shop weld up a bracket and use the original parts. I used a lokar kick down cable. I'll try and post a pic
    1980 Futura 347 C4

I hate to do it, but I'm considering going to a floor shift in my factory V8/C4/column shift car, because of fitment issues.

I'll post some pics tomorrow on how mine worked. I run shorty headers but I think long tubes would be possible with a little more fabrication
    1980 Futura 347 C4

FEP Senior Member

I had a 78 Fairmont 2 door sedan, that was a factory 302 C4 car. When I modified the car, I kept the stock column shifter with Hedman long tube headers, but I did have to make some minor mods to the shifter linkage. The rod from the bellcrank to the transmission shift lever hit a header tube , preventing the shifter from going into park. I just removed the material from the rod that stuck out past the nut that the slotted section fit over. I also had to shim the bellcranks mount that mounted to the K member. (I used the original K member.) I would imagine some fabricating would be needed to provide a mounting surface to attatch the bellcrank bracket.
    As for the kickdown, I just retained the factory kickdown rod, and extended it, as the stock 2 barrel carb was further back than the Edelbrock Performer and Holley 4 barrel carb I used. Of course, if you don`t have a V8 kickdown rod.......
    1978 Fairmont 2 door sedan, 428CJ 4speed. 9.972ET@132.54mph. 1.29 60 foot
    Replaced the FE big block with my 331/4 speed in my Fairmont, best 10.24ET @128 MPH.
    1985 Mustang LX hatchback NHRA Stock Eliminator 302 4 speed best in legal trim 12.31@107 mph, but has gone 11.42@115 with aftermarket intake, carb, and iron Windsor Jr. heads.New for 2012! 331 cube SB Ford, AFR 185 heads, solid flat tappet cam, pump gas; 10.296ET@128.71 mph, 1.37 60 foot.
    1979 Zephyr Z7, all original 302 auto, 2nd owner.

I used the Ididit cable on my F150/C6. I got the kit from Summit racing; who show other kits in stock.

Here is a pic of how I got mine to work. Sorry for the delay
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1980 Futura 347 C4