Close

Default 84 Capri RS Turbo A/C Lines

Hello everyone,

I need some help again. My 84 Capri RS Turbo did not have the A/C compressor, accumulator or lines in it when I got it. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find anything online about how the lines were originally routed. My Capri has the separate A/C and heat boxes under the dash and all I can find is pictures and information about the newer single box setup, which I believe changed sometime in 84.

Does anyone have pictures or anything that might help me to understand the original setup? I can make my own lines, but I was just curious how it originally looked as I want to look as factory as possible.

Thanks in advance!
    Jason Fischer

84 Capri RS Turbo T-Top

It sounds like you have the dealer add on A/C or an aftermarket setup as the factory A/C would be the single HVAC box under the dash.

If you post pictures of the two center vents and the A/C control unit we should be able to verify what you have.

If your system is aftermarket/dealer add on then it will be a bit more difficult to to show a "factory" look.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank you for the reply. I have been doing some reading today and I didn't realize the dealer installed option existed and how common it really is. I definately believe that is what mine is.

Here are some pictures (the car is currently still in many pieces):
    Name:  heater controls 2.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  38.0 KBName:  Heater controls.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  53.5 KB

It sounds like since this was dealer installed, there was definitely some freedom as to how the lines were ran then. I would be interested in any pics anyone has of a dealer installed setup on the 2.3 turbo.

Therefore, my questions are:

1. What is the appropriate compressor for a dealer installed system?
    2. Where did the orifice tube go in the dealer installed setup? I have always seen them at the evaporator, but just wanted to double check.
    3. Were there standard lines for the dealer installed setup? If so, are there reproductions available?
    Jason Fischer

84 Capri RS Turbo T-Top

Definitely appears to be dealer installed to me. I will have to check my 84 RS as I know it doesn't have Factory A/C, but it might have the dealer installed. I bought it as a roller, so I am not 100% on what might still be left, but if there is anything it might provide you with some information. It will be this weekend before I can get to it thanks to all the snow we are getting this week, but I will try and have a look then.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Definitnely dealer installed. Pretty common. I used to have GT350 #4124 and it had it. Key clues are the smaller vent cut in the dash bezel and you can see the hose routing to it is a flexible hose, not hard molded plastic. If you really want and can find a donor, you can put factory air in pretty easily. I did that on that same GT350. I regretted it in the end though. Right now you have the best of both worlds. You can change the heater core in 30 minutes AND you have AC. Finding parts though for that AC system may be near impossible
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Aren't the firewalls different between factory a/c and non a/c? Seem to remember that. My 84 Turbo RS has dealer air. I'll see if I can take some shots of the under hood arrangement. The interior is stripped out at the moment, so I might be able to get shots of that too. The car is in my basement wedged into the corner, might take some moving and shoving.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Yes, I the firewalls are different. Mine looks like they just drilled two holes in it for the A/C lines where the factory one has a nice big area for the lines to go through.
    Jason Fischer

84 Capri RS Turbo T-Top

Technically the firewalls are the same, but the factory A/C cars have a large hole cut out for both the A/C lines and the heater lines. The heat only cars have two holes punched out for the heater core tubes. The heater core tubes are also in a different location on the firewall too. The A/C cars also have a hole cut down near where the firewall transitions to the floor boards where the drain for the HVAC box is located.

You can modify a Non A/C car to have the cut outs for the factory A/C cars if you like. That is what I did with my Pace Car.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Old thread revive. My 84 RST has dealer air too. Anyone have any tips for sourcing an evaporator (or anything else involved) that will work to rejuvenate the system?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by billkandi; 07-08-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

Best bet is either going to be a GOOD local Auto A/C repair shop and/or the internet.

A lot will depend on if your Dealer installed unit was a Ford piece or some other aftermarket manufacturer. Most likely there are replacement options out there, but will require some research and searching to find what will work and what you can find. Best of luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Pretty sure the compressor is a Ford piece. Not sure on everything else. They guy I bought it from was an a/c repair man, so I know the lines were replaced.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)