Close

Thread: Carb size

Default Carb size

Just wanting to get a few opinions, do you guys think a 670 CFM Street Avenger would be too big for my Cobra motor right now? I was looking at the 570 CFM but don't want to have to replace it after I modify my engine a little more, Holly States that the 570 is good for 300 horse, I thought it would be good for more than that. Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

should work well for mild 302 I had 670 on 331 had 650 dp on it before that I just cruised the car though
    A good friend of mine had 570 on 351 it was in a truck it responded well but was mild 351 with performer intake and a RV cam some other typical bolt on stuff it was responsive

I like Holley carb because most any part store carries parts for them and gaskets..not that next day shipping is awful just nice to have parts in your hand before you lay down money

Nice carb for the money but did have issues with the shiny finish coating flaking in the bowl
    my rear bowl was flodding so after I took it apart and cleaned it thoroughly I put new rear bowl on it and no problem since

I had the Aluminum 670 Street Avenger and it was a nice carb until my combo wanted more... I'd recommend it.

Justin
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 CFI/AOD (originally)
    Now: 306, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Victor Jr. 302 Intake, Pro-Systems 4150HP, FTI/Ed Curtis custom cam, 170amp large case 3G Alternator, PA AOD with Silverfox SPT-MAC valve body, 3500rpm Stall, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, MM C/C plates, Tokico HP's, MM full length SFC's, SN95 Cobra brakes front and rear, 31 spline Fox length 8.8" with 4.10's, MM rear lowers and FRPP uppers, a few other MM suspension goodies, Jet Hot ceramic coated FRPP shorties, Pypes X-pipe, SpinTech Pro Streets and some other go fast parts.

1984 Mustang LX 5.0 4bbl/T5 (Sold)

LS swaps are the hair implants of the car world. Sure the owner is proud, but everyone else is laughing.

Thanks for the replies so far! I really debated on a double pumper. ...but thought vacuum secondaries would be more street friendly

for MPG efficiency the best your going to do in my opinion is vac secondaries

you can always buy a tuned carb for track fun simple and quick to swap out when you set it to full kill or Saturday night

you can find DP pretty cheap on Craigslist or similiar sites and most rebuild kits are 50 bucks for dp or so

I have the 670 avenger on my Ford Racing 340 hp 306 and it was almost perfect out of the box. A couple of jet changes and it runs great. I would recommend it too.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

Ok guys, I am really leaning towards Holley's 650cfm ultra double pumper. If I am wrong for doing so please let me know. I enjoy tinkering with my car. I like the thought of mechanical secondaries. The car now is 84 GT 5 speed, 8.8 rear end, 93 cobra motor, cammed. Just a weekend car, not a daily driver. Just kinda a Saturday night/Sunday morning car. And eventually would like to end up in the 331 cubic inch engine size do I don't want to have to replace a carb again. Thoughts again please!

Common rule is if it's a manual trans go with mechanical secondaries

I'm using vac secondaries and like the MPG But sounds like that's out the window with your statement

The mechanical secondairies can be very beneficial from a stop and clutch drop at ???? RPM

The vac secondaries not so much but it has its place for sure

All depends how often you want to put gas in it and both will work well once set

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Common rule is if it's a manual trans go with mechanical secondaries

I'm using vac secondaries and like the MPG But sounds like that's out the window with your statement

The mechanical secondairies can be very beneficial from a stop and clutch drop at ???? RPM

The vac secondaries not so much but it has its place for sure

All depends how often you want to put gas in it and both will work well once set
    Thanks for the replies Jerry, and every one else! Ordered my 650cfm ultra double pumper last night. Actually took the 600 cfm edlebrock off the stang and put it on my 82 F150. It was previously a 2 barrel but needed a new carb anyway. Win win I hope.

Good deal

It has arrived!

Liking the retro packaging on the box

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry peachuer View Post
    Liking the retro packaging on the box

Nice
    Got it installed, car fired immediately! Starts better than ever!

Cool, been a Holley man all my days as a car gear head. Wasn't until recently when I bought a car from an old friend, an 85 GT, that I fell for the Demon carberator.

Got it installed, car fired immediately! Starts better than ever!*

Did you have to change jets or just fine tune out of the box? I've got a Edelbrock 600 on my mild 351 and thought about switching to a Holley dbl pumper
    84 Mustang LX 351W
    Weiand Stealth
    Edelbrock 1406
    BBK Shorties
    O/R H pipe
    Super 40s
    8.8 3.27 gears

Quote Originally Posted by 84T-Top View Post
    Got it installed, car fired immediately! Starts better than ever!

Glad to hear

Quote Originally Posted by brian84foxbody View Post
    Got it installed, car fired immediately! Starts better than ever!*

Did you have to change jets or just fine tune out of the box? I've got a Edelbrock 600 on my mild 351 and thought about switching to a Holley dbl pumper
    I had the eddy 600 on my car. ..I didn't touch the holley! Put it on, fired it up. That being said I have not driven it yet with snow on the ground. I bought the ultra, with an electric choke. Holley claims it comes wry flow tested and pre-tuned for the most part, fine tuning maybe necessary.

Last edited by 84T-Top; 02-10-2016 at 01:29 PM.